Water Filtration/Backpacking Stoves

IndyHawk

Getting ready to transition from day hiking to backpacking. Would love to get some feedback on water filtration and backpacking stoves...

Refrigerator

There are many water filtration systems on the market. You will hear many with there opinions. I personally have 5 different methods to secure drinking water. I usually use a Ceramic type filter made by MSR. Another is a Gravity flow by MSR and there Hyper flow system. Katadyn Hiker Pro is another very good filter. If your looking for a filter that will protect you from Viruses you need to look at Katadyn First need and there Bottle purifier systems. If you want to go all out light weight you have many options there as well like the steripen, Katadyn Micropur tablets, and several others out on the market.
Here is a link that has several brands, types and good information on what they do.

Filters and Purifiers at REI.com

Like I said, you will hear many who swear by there methods. You need to ask yourself what do I want a filter to do for me, weight and the cost.

IndyHawk

Thanks-

Yup- everyone has their favorite method. Some people swear by boiling alone, some like chlorine tablets, some prefer UV-pens. Some use a comination of methods.

I think I'll choose a system based on what the water's like where I'll be backpacking. Probably a gravity filter (Platypus) for general use and supplement that with tablets if the quality looks suspect.

Navigator

I usually bring an MSR ceramic filter for drinking water. For things I'm going to be boiling anyway, like for rehydrating food or for hot drinks, I'll often just bypass the filter and dip straight from a stream. I keep a few tablets in my pack as a back-up.
I use a Soto canister stove for most summer trips, I like the "instant on" aspect of these stoves, it even has it's own push button ignitor. In the winter I switch to an MSR Simmerlite white gas stove because it burns better in cold temperatures and I can better manage my fuel load based on how much snow I expect to be melting by carrying larger or smaller fuel bottles.

Newanderthal

I use a homemade filter (top of a 20 oz. coke bottle, paper towel and coffee filter) to sift out sediment. Add iodine tablets and water is good to go.

For the stove, also homemade. I use a tealite stove with a homemade wind screen and a coleman backpacking pot. It runs on HEET (methyl alcohol) and cooks dinner in about 7 minutes. The stove and pot stand weighs about an ounce and the pot weighs about 4 oz.

here's the stove
YouTube - Integrated Tea Light Stove

the windscreen is a homemade version of the veri-vent, made with a disposable cookie sheet (super heavy duty foil).

Newanderthal

I've tried some of those, but have come across a problem with many of them and it's the same problem throughout... performance in cold temperatures. If the flames don't heat the stove enough, it can't evaporate the alcohol fast enough to sustain the flame. You have to burn the stove a while before you can put the pot on it to allow the stove to heat up. Also, if you use the stove when the air is warm, like southern camping in the late spring and early fall, the stove heats up so fast that it burns through the fuel in half the time and fails to cook anything.

I've experimented with the cat, super cat, pepsi can and several others and found them to be too sensitive to temperature changes to be reliable. Perhaps those guys know a trick to fix the problem, but I haven't found one.

Just my two cents.

Refrigerator

Yea the cold temps does bite into performance. I use white gas for winter and Isobutane or white gas for 3 season. My alcohol pepsi can stoves are in archive now for the past 3 years.

Trust2400

I use the Katadyn Hiker Pro filtration system and the Pocket Rocket stove. I keep chlorine tabs as a back up. If you are looking at the Katadyn pumps, there is the Hiker and the Hiker pro. The Hiker Pro has better fasteners when connecting and disconnecting the hoses. It is worth the few extra bucks.

I have used several stoves and like the Pocket Rocket (MSR). It will boil a few cups of water in under 2 minutes. Fuel is cheap, and lasts a long time. Depending on how light you travel at, you may want to look at the benefits of an alcohol stove too. I personally don't like them, but know guys that won't touch anything else.

Refrigerator

I use the Katadyn Hiker Pro filtration system and the Pocket Rocket stove. I keep chlorine tabs as a back up. If you are looking at the Katadyn pumps, there is the Hiker and the Hiker pro. The Hiker Pro has better fasteners when connecting and disconnecting the hoses. It is worth the few extra bucks.

I have used several stoves and like the Pocket Rocket (MSR). It will boil a few cups of water in under 2 minutes. Fuel is cheap, and lasts a long time. Depending on how light you travel at, you may want to look at the benefits of an alcohol stove too. I personally don't like them, but know guys that won't touch anything else.
Your choice of Gear is Excellent....period