Air Mattress

April

My friends dad insisted that I sleep on a air mattress when I was pregnant and we went camping (giving his up) and I told him I may be a girl and pregnant but I enjoy tent camping without and that it was his. He wouldn't take no for an answer!

BTBoop

That was very kind and considerate of him. I understand your feelings as far as that goes too, but most of the older generations have it bred in them to be kind and show women gentleness.

Benny

My friends dad insisted that I sleep on a air mattress when I was pregnant and we went camping (giving his up) and I told him I may be a girl and pregnant but I enjoy tent camping without and that it was his. He wouldn't take no for an answer!
That was pretty nice of him. I can understand the want for roughing it, though. I don't think it would do much harm, as long as you are careful.

sherbearski

It is refreshing to hear of a man who still shows respect and kindness to a woman. We need more men like that, and more women who know how to accept and appreciate a kind gester from the opposite sex. I'm sure he meant no insult to your womanhood.

oldsarge

Funny story of when I was stationed in Panama, we all slept in hammocks in the field. Then one day the brigade commander says, "get rid of the hammocks, there are not tactically sound, you all look like a bunch of hippies camping out" , so now we all have air mattresses. Then at 0430 you would have a whole platoon (31 men) pulling plugs and rolling up mattresses. it was hilarious listening to all the air escaping when we were supposed to be tactical. about 6 months later we all got foam pads to sleep on. Which lead to another issue all in itself!

OpenAir

I can see his point with the hammocks but yeah, it doesn't seem like the air mattresses were a huge improvement! I've used one a few times, and they aren't exactly quiet, and if you've got a whole platoon deflating them at once, yeah that would draw a bit of attention.

ChadTower

I can see his point with the hammocks but yeah, it doesn't seem like the air mattresses were a huge improvement! I've used one a few times, and they aren't exactly quiet, and if you've got a whole platoon deflating them at once, yeah that would draw a bit of attention.

OTOH the sound of 30+ air mattresses venting at once would scare the crap out of anyone nearby that didn't know what it was.

outwest

I hate to use an air mattress with a passion! I have had back issues before but nothing makes them worse than trying to sleep on an air mattress, to me its not nature and I flop around like a fish out of water. I would much rather rough it on the ground if I had to, give me two blankets and I am fine. ;)

OpenAir

OTOH the sound of 30+ air mattresses venting at once would scare the crap out of anyone nearby that didn't know what it was.
Yeah, I can see that, unless they had some kind of vantage point that allowed them to see you guys. Either way, I doubt I would have been complaining, I'd sooner not sleep on the hard ground, though I have done when under order!