The things I get asked

BCBabe

This latest request just made me roar: I can't imagine what folks think British Columbia is like, because I'm being given the impression that it's a very wild and feral place that is behind the rest of the modern world.

A pal from Florida asked after skulls: could I get him one? He'd prefer a cat's skull, say from a cougar or a bobcat, but a deer or bear skull (and he wants the teeth intact!) would serve nicely.

What the hell are some people smoking? (and please don't share).

Grandpa

Well BC, a large part of your BC is a wild and feral place, just like our central Idaho. But let's not tell anyone so it stays that way.

dinosaur

troublemaker
There is no state in the U.S. or province in Canada that is not partially "wild and feral". My suggestion would be to ask your Floridian "pal" if he would consider an exchange. You'll procure him a cougar skull and he can send you a gator skull.

Hannah

I hate that, people assume that because I am from Nova Scotia that I am backwards and behind? We may be behind in fashion but we all are online and that sort of thing, were not living in deliverance by any means~

BCBabe

There is no state in the U.S. or province in Canada that is not partially "wild and feral". My suggestion would be to ask your Floridian "pal" if he would consider an exchange. You'll procure him a cougar skull and he can send you a gator skull.
Now that's a kick-*ss idea, Dude: too bad the fella didn't want an octopus beak, that I can get my hands on a lot easier.

ChadTower

I hate that, people assume that because I am from Nova Scotia that I am backwards and behind? We may be behind in fashion but we all are online and that sort of thing, were not living in deliverance by any means~

I'm from NS. I brought some folks to Halifax and they just could not believe it was a provincial capitol. To them it still felt like somewhere out past BFE with nothing to do and little going for it other than ocean shipping industry. They had no idea how to deal with Yarmouth once they had been to McDonald's and saw the mall.

YogiBear

It isn't just people that are from other places than the U. S. because of where I live people think we are all inbred hillbillies and I can't stand that either. You know just because there might be someone stupid enough to do such a thing doesn't mean we all are.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Well Yogi, you have to judge the source of those comments. Most of those people are ignorant. I'm ignorant about a lot of things but I try not to show it. My Dad told me this: Better to remain silent and appear the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

There are a very large number of city folks who are ignorant about the country. Most of them possess the good sense not to open their mouths about it. The few, however, give them a bad name by being both ignorant and stupid. Most expect you to educate them and are perfectly willing to let you do so. And when you're in the big city, these are the helpful ones who will give you direction and tell you about the pitfalls.

It's a shame that you ran into some stupid people who, since they are urbanites, know everything. Your best bet is to tell them that they really don't know what they are doing and they should stick close to you for protection if they want to make it out alive. Tell them the local McDonald's sells opossum burgers and the french fries are cooked in bear fat. Scare the crap out of them and make them want to go back to "civilization". The fun will come later when you talk to them or someone who knows them and laugh your butt off at how gullible they are.

outdoorsy

This reminds me of a story in my neck in the woods. I'm a country bumpkin and I was working in the city. We had a picnic in the city (employee appreciation) and we rode a bus to the park. On the way to the park we saw a deer (I see deer each and every day and black bear a lot too). I could not believe the number of people that jumped to the side of the bus to look at the deer. They were saying, that is so cool - they hadn't seen one before. I was like seriously? I live 45 miles out of the city. How can we be so different?

I love the comment about the alligator skull.... I'd like one too please!

MosseyOakGirl

LOL that is funny BCBabe. On a serious note I think the US has some laws in place in regards to that. I know bear claws are not to be sold and border transportation of certain critters is forbidden.

BCBabe

LOL that is funny BCBabe. On a serious note I think the US has some laws in place in regards to that. I know bear claws are not to be sold and border transportation of certain critters is forbidden.
Just about anything to do with bear parts isn't legal across the borders: we've had a problem out my way as regards blacks being brought down and for only their GALL BLADDERS (the rest of the animal is left to the scavengers). Vancouver is home to one of the largest Asian populations outside of Mainland China: it's larger than the San Fran contingent, and by a great deal. In their lore, that organ is medicinal, and very very powerful; I recall a local outfitter offering trophy hunting for bear but with the caveat that the hunter got the head and front paws ONLY.