Bananas and mosquitoes

BCBabe

I caught a comment about this in another thread, and wanted to comment.

It's been scientifically proven that mosquitoes will target the lightest head in the room/area: as to why, that hasn't been answered.

It's also been proven that eating bananas does something to the blood chemistry that makes you smell like a buffet to the lil vampires: I refuse to eat them in certain regions, during certain times of the year, because I'm of Nordic descent and blonde myself: if I eat bananas, those buggers have a field day with me.

Pass a gin'n'tonic?

outwest

I do not really like bananas to start with so I can not comment on that but I do know that mosquitoes hate me. I have no idea why and its always been me. Its not something that runs in the family but they fully target me in any group.

Refrigerator

I caught a comment about this in another thread, and wanted to comment.

It's been scientifically proven that mosquitoes will target the lightest head in the room/area: as to why, that hasn't been answered.

It's also been proven that eating bananas does something to the blood chemistry that makes you smell like a buffet to the lil vampires: I refuse to eat them in certain regions, during certain times of the year, because I'm of Nordic descent and blonde myself: if I eat bananas, those buggers have a field day with me.

Pass a gin'n'tonic?
Very interesting this info is. I must look into this claim.

Geordie

Refrigerator, please share what you find out?

I've always taken a banana or two with me when I'm out in the sticks, and admit that I'm often pestered by those varmints myself. If all I have to do is stop eating that fruit to prevent becoming a "buffet" (interesting choice of words, that made me laugh), I'll do it.

IndianaHiker

Funny thing when researching this. Find people that claim that bananas stop them and found others that claim that it attracted them. Scientific evidence shows that bananas had no effect either way.

Mosquitoes and Bananas

What attracts them is the carbon monoxide that we exhale. Best way to hide form them seems to be to stop breathing. However that can really ruin your trip.

Last edited:

Judy Ann

ThermaCell Mosquito Repellent available most anywhere: What the Carolina Girls "In the know" carry when outside near the coast. Mine came from Cabela's years ago, but I saw it at Home Depot this year. Look for additional cells in the hair care area of Walmart for a less expensive option. Get the optional carry case for easy transport while in the swamps canoeing or hiking. Mine was a necessity in a deer stand in the middle of a swamp years ago. Good for the back yard grilling during the summer!

overtheridge

I love bananas and we always take them with us when we camp. They are a super quick snack for the kids when they are hungry! Guess what? They won't be coming with us anymore. I don't want to be a "buffet" for any buggers!

Refrigerator

Funny thing when researching this. Find people that claim that bananas stop them and found others that claim that it attracted them. Scientific evidence shows that bananas had no effect either way.

Mosquitoes and Bananas

What attracts them is the carbon monoxide that we exhale. Best way to hide form them seems to be to stop breathing. However that can really ruin your trip.
Exactly and well said IndianaHiker

Jobiwan

Actually, it's certain chemicals that reside within carbon dioxide that attracts them. This can permeate through your skin. Also there are no known true repellents. DEET inhibits lactic acid which merely masks the odor of these CO2 dwellers. It doesn't repel the vampires but makes it so they cant pick up your CO2 signature.

Mosquitoes_How_and_Why

Qweetzy

If you eat a lot of sweets, you will also notice you get bit a lot more often. Mosquitoes like sweeties as well as we do so go easy on the sweets while you are out and about.

Refrigerator

Yes next time your out try putting on some extra shaving lotion, cologne, hair jells, under arm deodorant and anything that has really sweet smells......this will help you in identifying those skeeters.

SweetSassyLady

Refrigerator-:tinysmile_fatgrin_t.

I think I'll pass on the sweets to eat and the sweet scents too. I don't need any help attracting those little biters. They like me anyway. Maybe it's because I'm so sweet? LOL

Forester

I can attest to this. When I was a missionary in the far east, most of us were of south-east Asian descent and one was from Korea and interestingly only he was getting attacked by the mosquitoes.

BCBabe

Yes next time your out try putting on some extra shaving lotion, cologne, hair jells, under arm deodorant and anything that has really sweet smells......this will help you in identifying those skeeters.
I'm killing myself laughing....

I don't shower for the two days before we leave, and use unscented "pit stik": I'm a hygiene fanatic when the opportunity is present, but know better than to smell of anything "YUMMY" when in the 'tulies.

And the comment about being potassium deficient made me wonder if it's not one of the reasons skeeters target some folks: perhaps sugar &/or potassium are somehow necessary to their reproductive cycle?