Home Survival

Grandpa

Unfortunately, we had another wake-up call this week. Because of strict building codes and all out emergency preparedness planning, the Japanese did not suffer as many fatalitites as they could have, but are we as prepared?
How long will you last if the local grocery store cannot be resupplied? If your local water system becomes poluted? If you have no electricity or natural gas? How much water can you boil without utilities? How much food can you prepare with no outside utilities? Where will you even go to the bathroom when the sewers are clogged and backing up into your home?

I am a firm believer that 2012 is NOT the end date, but we will continue on for at least another 1000 years. But I also realize that our current standard of living may regress drastically. One big solar flare, aimed directly at the earth, and the electromagnetic charge would take out all digital electronics at all levels. It would take years to re-establish the grid. Your car, your computer, your cell phone, and all those other electronic gadgets will be worthless.

San Andreas Fault, New Madrid Fault, Wasatch Fault, the whole west coast, South Carolina. Any of these major fault areas could produce an earthquake as large as the one Japan just suffered. This would totally disrupt transportation lines of all types. Transportation lines that bring you food, fuel, and all necessary supplies, as well as letting you escape a ravaged area.

Are you ready? Do you have a plan? I only bring this up because I don't want to have to kill innocent people just because they are tired of watching their children starving to death or dying from diseases so are trying to kill me and take what I have for their own.

Michael

I was actually reading a survival article on this topic the other day. The basic idea was to always be able to survive for 30 days in your home with zero outside assistance. This means no grid, no running water, no nothing.

The person suggested boiling and then treating and bottling 30 gallons of water per person in the household. Boiling kills everything, and a small amount of bleach keeps anything from getting a foothold. The stuff stays safe to drink for over a year, so you change it out roughly every year; toward this end, you label each with the date you sealed it.

Then you build up food that will last, and you secure it in metal containers that seal. This way rodents and insects can't get into it and ruin your food. Rice and dry beans are great for this, because they last a really long time. Canned goods as well. Anything in your fridge or freezer is not counted against your month of food, because you have to figure it'll spoil quickly.

Then of course you get the stuff that isn't essential for life but you will probably want. Ammunition, candles, matches, blankets, etc. It's always good to have a crap-load of this stuff in your home. It's not like your candles are going to go bad and not burn when you need them.

The idea of the article is that you always have enough stuff to survive relatively comfortably for some period of time. That way, you can immediately start to adapt to survival situations. No need to start filling things with water; you can get to boarding up windows so debris from a hurricane won't smash them.

I wish I had this level of preparedness. After my next move, I'm planning to at least try to get close.

SweetSassyLady

Honestly, we have it covered. We live up a hollow and there are a lot of animals that we could kill if need be. There are everything from wild turkeys to rabbits and deer so we would be fine for food. We also have a lot of food stored and water stored also. We actually had a flood last year that necessitated our using the water because the waste water treatment plant was flooded and the water hereabouts was undrinkable for a while. We have wood available for fires and have a small garden every year. We also have bullfrogs in our pond for frog legs during the spring and summer (YUM). We have a gas grill which has a full tank and is ready to cook if necessary. I've even made quick breads on the grill. The only thing we are not stocked up on are prescription medication because our insurance won't give us more than a month's worth at one time.

Grandpa

My project for this summer is build an ice house then fill it next winter. We have my grandparents old oak icebox. I loaded it up with ice last 4th of July when all the kids were here. Put all the soda pop etc in it. Even in the 90-95 degree heat and the kids constantly opening and closing, it stayed around 48 degrees for 4 days on one load of ice.

HikingGuy

I read an article that this disaster in Japan was predicted, but it is the same old crap. With what we have stored we could last a few weeks easily, we live in the woods, that helps and we burn wood for heat.

IndianaHiker

Unfortunately, we had another wake-up call this week. Because of strict building codes and all out emergency preparedness planning, the Japanese did not suffer as many fatalitites as they could have, but are we as prepared?
How long will you last if the local grocery store cannot be resupplied? If your local water system becomes poluted? If you have no electricity or natural gas? How much water can you boil without utilities? How much food can you prepare with no outside utilities? Where will you even go to the bathroom when the sewers are clogged and backing up into your home?

I am a firm believer that 2012 is NOT the end date, but we will continue on for at least another 1000 years. But I also realize that our current standard of living may regress drastically. One big solar flare, aimed directly at the earth, and the electromagnetic charge would take out all digital electronics at all levels. It would take years to re-establish the grid. Your car, your computer, your cell phone, and all those other electronic gadgets will be worthless.

San Andreas Fault, New Madrid Fault, Wasatch Fault, the whole west coast, South Carolina. Any of these major fault areas could produce an earthquake as large as the one Japan just suffered. This would totally disrupt transportation lines of all types. Transportation lines that bring you food, fuel, and all necessary supplies, as well as letting you escape a ravaged area.

Are you ready? Do you have a plan? I only bring this up because I don't want to have to kill innocent people just because they are tired of watching their children starving to death or dying from diseases so are trying to kill me and take what I have for their own.
Honestly I don't really have a plan. Main reason is that I am like many Americans and I simply cant afford to stockpile anything. I ma simply living pay check to pay check and really cant afford the extra cost of paying extra food and water to pack away.

That being said However I don't feel the need. I have a friend that talked about this and he had a different idea than I do but would work for him. He has a farm and as lots of food and other thing put away. He feels that he would stay at his farm and fight off whoever might come to take away what he has. I would rather grab my pack and head into the woods. I would have to change my diet as I am a vegetarian and start eating meat again but believe that by trapping and taking game I could survive. I would prefer this as being out where I would be hard to find for me is what I prefer rather then being near town. In my backpack I have shelter, means to stay warm, and believe I could stay relatively comfy in the woods. I wouldn't be as comfy in the woods as my friend how I also wouldn't have to worry as much about others wanting to take what I have since I would be mobile.

oldsarge

Honestly I don't really have a plan. Main reason is that I am like many Americans and I simply cant afford to stockpile anything. I ma simply living pay check to pay check and really cant afford the extra cost of paying extra food and water to pack away.
I feel your pain Brother! It isn't easy now a days. I kick myself in the ass for ever moving back to the suburbs after getting out of the military. I would much rather be out in the country somewhere. With the housing crunch the way it is, I can't afford to sell my house and take a hit.

hikinboot

I buy a few extras each time, it helps, doesn't add that much to the grocery store. I have enough stuff for about 72 hours. I have 2 18L of water too.

Refrigerator

I have at least 4 months supply of full food rations on hand with 2 freezers, 3 fridges 4 cases of MREs....many many packages of freeze dried foods and a generator with 60 gallons of gas. Yea I would eat quite a bit of my frozen refrigerated foods first unless it were winter.
Yes I also have 6 50lb bags of dog food always in the back room for my Lab and Retriever. They eat a plenty. I do have a phobia about being ready to survive and have always been like that even when I was young growing up poor I would always cache food for later rewards.

I have a 180 foot well at 25 gallons a minute and iffin the elec would go off line I have a crank pump that will attach to the inlet well line to draw water.
Eh....the only thing I am in need of is BEER and Wine. Oh yes..I also have plenty of toilet paper too I am not kidding.....we have at least 100 rolls stashed into a closet we rotate continually. I gots it really bad ...

oldsarge

What's your take on fuel storage? How do you feel it will last being stored so long.? Just curious!

4 case of MRE's, you have plenty of TP, that stuff will stop you up big time! Besides It comes with it's own any how. It takes about 1 case worth of MRE's TP to get the job done!

NebraskaBorn

food and water are not a problem there is plenty of game and fish here. the only problem is ammo but even with that there are many ways to catch game with snares and other traps

Grandpa

Well, I started this thread and was expecting the answers we are getting from the people we are getting them from. Hopefully, everyone else will be doing some real thinking on their own needs and how to achieve them. Like I said earlier, and from some of the responses here others feel the same, we don't want to have to kill you folk who didn't make plans and can't stand seeing your family starving to death.

JollyRogers

In all seriousness, I don't stock nearly as much BECAUSE I live in suburbia. Locking myself in a basement for a month isn't really a valid means of surviaval. And having enough stores to make someone want to kill me for food seems to just invite trouble.

My plan is to be more mobile. I have enough provisions that I could survive comfortably until well after I was able to get us away from the populated areas. From there I have the gear and the skills for survival.

Sounds a bit conceited, I know, but I belive it is true as when I camp I practice my survival skills at every opportunity.

The main things I keep a bulk supply of are gasoline and water.

oldsarge

In all seriousness, I don't stock nearly as much BECAUSE I live in suburbia. Locking myself in a basement for a month isn't really a valid means of surviaval. And having enough stores to make someone want to kill me for food seems to just invite trouble.

My plan is to be more mobile. I have enough provisions that I could survive comfortably until well after I was able to get us away from the populated areas. From there I have the gear and the skills for survival.

Sounds a bit conceited, I know, but I believe it is true as when I camp I practice my survival skills at every opportunity.

The main things I keep a bulk supply of are gasoline and water.
Is it weren't for the overall cost of it all I would still load up on my stores at home. No one will know what you have unless you advertise it. I too live in the suburbs and I agree that I would leave the area, of course I need to get another vehicle, the Jeep wrangler is a little short on space for provisions, I have four people to worry about. My concern for gas is how much it breaks down over time, even when using a stabilizer.

Refrigerator

What's your take on fuel storage? How do you feel it will last being stored so long.? Just curious!

4 case of MRE's, you have plenty of TP, that stuff will stop you up big time! Besides It comes with it's own any how. It takes about 1 case worth of MRE's TP to get the job done!
I use sea foam brand gas additive and rotate my gas every 6 months sometimes 7.

MRE's has never given me any problems although many I have met did when eaten. Same time almost and every day for as long as I...can remember.

Toilet paper if for my wife...mostly....you know a woman without toilet paper makes for a bad day as I forgot this on only 1 of many backpacking trips we have done together and boy I have not forgotten since.

Benny

As much as I love to prepare for my little trips, I am honestly not too prepared at all for a major disaster! I live in a small place in a major city, and really don't have any place to stockpile anything....

HikingGuy

I would have far more stocked up if I had more space. I have plenty of candles as well, they are something I am certainly not lacking, worse case you can cook smaller things over a candle.

SweetSassyLady

I thought I would post this link for those of you who say you don't have the money to buy things necessary for fleshing out your pantry.

How to Create a Food Storage Supply for You and your Spouse

If it's just for one person, you would live very well. The specs are for two people but it still wouldn't be too expensive if you have $10 a week to plan for four people. I don't expect to leave where I am because we all pretty much have food to spare since we live out in the country.