White Water Rafting

Rachel

Have you ever gone white water rafting? Did you enjoy it? I've considered it but have not yet been able to figure out if I'd love it or be terrified. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Grandpa

Have you ever gone white water rafting? Did you enjoy it? I've considered it but have not yet been able to figure out if I'd love it or be terrified. :tinysmile_hmm_t:
BOTH Terrified at the time and excited to go again

rockytibby

I have been rafting a few times and I can honestly say it was awesomely great, the best adventure ever. I live in northern cali and raft the klamath river. Its rated from class 1-5. The upper klamath starts in Ashland ,Or.and comes out in cali. it was a two day rafting trip that was a class 3 and 4.5 all the way. Terifing and amazingly awesome at the same time. You should try it at least once in life.

FreshAirLover

Neah... Rafting and bungee jumping are two extreme sports I'm not willing to try in this lifetime. Not even the first grade of difficulty, because the chances of getting injured are high.

Grandpa

Neah... Rafting and bungee jumping are two extreme sports I'm not willing to try in this lifetime. Not even the first grade of difficulty, because the chances of getting injured are high.
Nix...like all sports, follow the rules and the dangers are minimal. The pioneers found the mistakes that established the rules so our generation could use for recreation what they had to do for survival.

There is always someone who is too lazy to tighten the bottom strap on their preserver or who panics and graps at the slack bungee cord. But if you follow the rules you will be fine and have a heck of a great time.

Last edited:

rockytibby

I agree with grandpa. If you follow the rules and listen to your guide follow there instructions you should have no problems. But it also helps when you crave the adrenaline high. Maybe start at a class 2 and work up.

dog_paddle

I have been a professional whitewater rafting guide for 17 summers! The most dangerous part of the trip is the drive to the river! lol....Whitewater rafting can be mild to wild- most rivers are pool drop, so there are breaks after each rapid. Rivers are a great way to see wild places, and wild life...rafting can expose you to some awesome sights!

Smack

I agree. My fear of white water rafting is that I will fall off the raft and hit or skin my back on some sharp rocks under the water. I have a great fear of injuring my back. My wife did it, and went back 3 more times. She's braver than I am.

Kooky

White water rafting doesn't have to be a horribly dangerous sport. I think that the shows that have white water rafting scenes in them have given people negative attitudes about it. Rafting is a great experience and is fun for people of all ages. You don't have to go to the worst rapids of all like they show on tv!

campfire

White water rafting is amazing. If you're afraid, I would try a calmer route, with a guide. It's exciting, scary and challenging. I go at any chance I get.

wvbreamfisherman

Lower New River in West Virginia. They let 13 year olds run it with parents. It's a pool drop river, with some very nice rapids and spectacular scenery (especially in the Fall). I've run it with a raft full of total novices and everyone has had a blast. For more adventuresome (and well-heeled) types, the Gauley River in WV is much more intense
(and pricey) during the Fall draw-downs for the lake that controls the river.

southerngal

I haven't been in years but I am glad that I have tried it before. We had a good time it's just not something I have a desire to do again. My husband would like to go back again but he's braver than I am!

ppine

Forester
Never underestimate the dangers of running rivers. My serious problems all came on trips with trained professionals. I am only a Class III boater now. Do not ever take cold water, hydraulics, sweepers, or strainers lightly. Or manmade dams for that matter, the perfect drowning machine. Practice rescue techniques and make sure you trust your companions.