When to go to sleep?

FreshAirLover

My cousin asked me to take his kids camping sometimes next month. He's caught with some business abroad, so he can't join us, but he requested that I teach the boys (one's 10 and the other 8 years old) the basics of a camping trip.

We're gonna have a camp fire, tell stories, roast marshmallows, but... I'm not too sure when it is appropriate to tell the kids to go to sleep...

ChadTower

If it was a good full day of activity I'd say 9pm. They won't be used to being outdoors in the dark so they'll be tired from both. Don't be surprised if they choose to go to bed themselves before that.

Michael

What's their normal bed time? Myself, I'd let them go to bed any time they wanted, so long as that wasn't past their bed time. I wouldn't even bring it up until that time was reached, so maybe, just maybe, they'd think that they were allowed to stay up as long as they wanted.

I mean, camping is tiring. And if they don't have a clock to check, all they'll know is that it's been dark for a while. So combine being active with it being really dark, and I imagine most kids will zonk out pretty early.

SweetSassyLady

I'd have them to go at least by 10p. But like ChadTower said, don't be surprised if they want to go to bed earlier by themselves. When kids are growing, they get tired anyway. If they start getting cranky or argumentative and that's not like them-they are tired and need to go to bed earlier the next night for the following day. And yes, I am talking about preteens.

Grandpa

Much has been said about cell phones on a camping trip. I feel the same way about a watch. Let them have their fun until they start to yawn. It will probably be sooner than later anyway.

Susie

My inclination is to just let nature take its course and when they are sleepy they will go to sleep. If they are too excited the first night to go to sleep at a regular time, that would be understandable.

oldsarge

Let them sleep when they want to, that's part of the fun of being out there. Staying up late and sleeping in. But if you are concerned about throwing off their sleeping schedules just make sure you keep them busy all day and wear them out. They'll be sleeping in no time.

mikepond

If your day is busy enough you are not going to need to tell them its bedtime, they are just going to poop out after the day, slow down with their chatter and pass out. Heck, I still like seeing this when adults get over tired.

Gus

Tent Camper
I like the suggestions to let them decide for themselves, but with two possible parameters:
1. If there are any other campsites within earshot - courtesy dictates a 9 or 10 pm "quiet time"

2. At that age the latest would be the time when you want to go to bed, - you don't want to leave them up in camp by themselves.

RoyalAmbassador

Working Camper
I camp with boys from 1st thru 12th grade we don't use watches unless we have events scheduled but we just let them go as long as they don't get out of control when the adults start to head to bed we send them to bed. Usually you have to tell them to Quite down a dozen times but let them have fun. When they get older they will remember those camping trips and when they have kids they will take them camping also. "Camp and live longer"

Footprints

Much has been said about cell phones on a camping trip. I feel the same way about a watch. Let them have their fun until they start to yawn. It will probably be sooner than later anyway.

I like this suggestion. After a full day of outdoors and fun they'll tire out before too late anyway. I wouldn't set a strict time though. Now, if 1am rolled around you may have to put your foot down :tinysmile_twink_t:

LittleLady

The kids will probably be asking you to go to bed before 10. You could always lay them down at their normal bedtime, and give them flashlights and books. They'll be so tired it won't take too long to fall asleep.