Suggestions for Used Pop-ups?

InTheWoods

We've camped in tents but I'm ready to get off the ground and would like to buy a used pop-up. What types of things should I watch for when I'm looking at buying a used pop-up? Do you know what tends to wear-out first?

Lorax

Look for general wear and tear. Frayed cables for the lift supports. Condition of tires and exterior plastic parts.
Check all systems by running them on gas, electric and battery.

And if you are by WI, I'm selling a pop-up right now that is in awesome condition at 1k below what we've seen them at dealers for. We got a good deal when we bought it and want to pass that along to someone who would appreciate it.

2003 Rockwood Freedom 2270
Awning, screen room, heated beds, etc.

DThewanderer

When I was looking at pop ups I always wanted to run through the put up and the take down. Some people would already have it up and not want to do this. I know some just didn't want the hassle, but if I can't see it go up and down I won't buy it.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Check to see if the zippers have been waxed, if they look worn ask the person selling them if they have ever waxed the zippers (maintenance price drop right there) unless they are plastic zippers.

Check to see if the fabric is torn.

Grandpa

I would jack it up and grab the tire top and bottom and jiggle it looking for bearing play. I see lots of trailers, pop up and utility, on the side of the road with the wheel and hub gone because of bearing failure. Too many ignore this basic maintainence.

InTheWoods

Look for general wear and tear. Frayed cables for the lift supports. Condition of tires and exterior plastic parts.
Check all systems by running them on gas, electric and battery.

And if you are by WI, I'm selling a pop-up right now that is in awesome condition at 1k below what we've seen them at dealers for. We got a good deal when we bought it and want to pass that along to someone who would appreciate it.

2003 Rockwood Freedom 2270
Awning, screen room, heated beds, etc.
I would love to buy a northerners camper, but you are a little too far north from way South Texas! We live on the coast, so another thing I will watch for is rust from salt sea air. Thanks for the recommendations all, I'm gonna start lookin'!

Lorax

I would also say floor. make sure it's not soft or rotten. It's up pretty high and shouln't ever get wet, but you never know. I'd check it not just from above, but from below also.

I like the zipper suggestion. They should be cleaned and work smooth, just like a tent.I always use Superlube teflon in my zippers.