Getting close to a bear.

woodsman

Did you ever get too close to a bear?
It happened to me once a few years ago we were out hiking int the woods in late march, when a bear, popped out of the woodwork on to the trail, she had a cub so not exactly the best time to meet a bear. Luckily she was around 200-300 feet in front of us and we started making loud noises so she went onto her business, still it was to close for my enjoyment.

Captain

Nope, the closest I have been is on my back deck and the bear walked through the back yard. I have never seen any when I was camping, and I always go inside when I see them.

oldsarge

Never had the opportunity to have an up close and personal meeting with one...and I hope it stays that way! I have seen them quite a ways off while in Alaska, and honestly, I always have that inner fear of turning around and seeing one up close. I have spent the night alone in the jungle in Panama and never gave it a second thought about large cats roaming around. But Bears seem to keep me on edge for some reason.

Benny

we started making loud noises so she went onto her business, still it was to close for my enjoyment.
I don't know, but my first instincts would be to be quiet so she wouldn't hear me. If she had a cub, she could be extra viscous!

Grandpa

Met several on the trail, some real up close, but haven't met one yet I didn't like because they wanted to avoid me as much as I wanted to avoid them.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
I carry a weapon with me weather I'm camping in a camp ground or out hiking in the hills, regardless I would rather be a live than a pile of poo.

Having said that, I take precautions to make myself heard, seen or smelled. I tie my stuff up and out of the way. I have seen 2 bears within 100ft, both in California and when I was younger, however I haven't seen one up close sense.

JollyRogers

4 times in the same trip!

California, Sequoya National Forest - Day 1 of the hike in... I fell behind my buddy a bout a hundred yards or so on the trail. I was watching his boot prints on the trail to make sure I was still behind him. About 100 yards from the top of a ridge I noticed a bear track smudged out my buddies track! - He was being followed.

I sprinted up the ridge as fast as I could hollering and whooping. I came around a bed in the trail about 20 yards from my buddy and heard the bear bounding away through the thick overgrowth. Didn't get a look at him, I think I scared him off. The bear was following my buddy but had no idea I was following him!

Six days later we were warned by a ranger we were in the middle of the territory of the biggest bear in the park. The next night he was eating ants out of stumps less than 100 yards from our camp. 2 days later he was across the stream when we woke up - paying no attention to us but only about 50 feet away.

The next morning, on our way out, my buddy was a ways ahead again and just as I got to the bottom of a lush green valley I heard my buddy whistling and yelling. A black bear cub was running down the hill straight towards me! He ran past me and came within 10 feet. I was terrified momma was near and I was stuck in a field of grass with no trees, shelter or cover. Thankfully, we never saw momma.

The only one we were really worried about was the first one. He was in an area where people were probably more common and associated with food.

The other times we were several days in the back country and the bears paid no attention to us since they never related people to being a food source.

Judy Ann

Peaks of Otter, VA last September: Momma bear and 3 cubs crossed a road less than a hundred feet from where I had been walking with my dog. We had just gotten back in the car to head on out when I turned around and saw momma and then one by one the three cubs crossing the road after her. The camera was out of reach and the cellphone was turned off. Needless to say I'll have necessary equipment closer and make a whole lot more noise when taking those quick little look-see hikes when traveling on my mountain adventures!

KeikoOka

We had a little bear that lived in the hills behind our house. We had a huge issue with this bear because of trash cans. We ended up going in with some neighbors to have a dumpster with a locking lid installed on the road that we could all use.

Refrigerator

What did you do? How did you handle it?
Oldsarge to be straight forward I wet in my pants...seriously...didn't really care either..I actually though I was going to die or be torn up severely. I stood my ground and raised my shoulders and arms trying to make me look big. I can't even remember if I was breathing. I made a soft sound by saying hey bear hey bear it's me...letting the Bear sense me and hear my voice to maybe give him a sense I was a human hell I don't know but any hoo the darn Grizz turned away. He first stood up and sensed me then proceeded to walk towards me as if he was curious. Then like nothing ever...he was at a full charge and that's when MY freak-in heart jumped out. I remember my eyes were as wide as ever and seemed like my ears were moving like Yoda on Star Wars. no kidding...then the Grizz stopped the charge like a bluff. My eyes peeled on him..I was thinking if I could just walk side ways away from him not taking my eyes totally off him and not turning my back maybe just maybe....Hell no...the sucker charged again and that's when I started talking to Grizz and that's when I did it in my pants...Not ashamed of that I actually though that was it. Then just as fast as he aggressively charge he turned away and walked down hill from me...yep I got the heck out of Dodge too. I remember having a can of Bear spray on me and never actually practiced using it and was totally unprepared. That's when I realized I wanted a real weapon. I knew the spray was in my hand but I also knew that I had to wait on Grizz to get close enough to be effective...Hell no I am not getting that close ever if I can help it. I was shaking so bad I walked 11 miles in a little over 3 hrs and that's moving with a pack on in the Alaska Bog Fields. Grizz are big and fast. I also remember him grunting as he was running towards me. Open Bog Field and no where to go.

Never changed my pants either until I was many miles away. This situation is the reason I took a special survival course on stress and Panic given by an ex Navy Pilot.

Judy Ann

Refrigerator I'm sure I would have had a heart attack and died on the spot. Kudos for keeping your wits about you!!! Just curious what made you think to talk with that old grizz?

Refrigerator

I have been told by several Bear experts to talk to the Bear. They say past studies show the Bear recognizes our sounds as what we are. Human or to them the animal they see us as. I carry a nice piece of weaponry now days but I wish and hope I never have to shoot a Bear. I will extend that wish by saying I wish and hope the Bears stay away from me at a safe distance. I totally enjoy photographing and video them. They are so graceful when you can observe them afar.

Judy Ann

Do you think that will work for black bears too? I've heard conflicting advice regarding bears: make yourself bigger and more threatening or lie down, cover your neck and pray like heck. Figured I'd grab my dog and do the latter, since I'd be closer to the ground and probably pass out anyway.

Refrigerator

Black bears are different. The new concept is to stand your ground and fight a Black bear. Running will only encourage a bear to attack. You will lose.
Years ago the old adage was to play dead...this is true with a Grizz but with Black Bears this has changed.
This is how and what I have drilled in my head to do and watch for.

Any bear that continues to approach, follow, disappear and reappear, or displays other stalking behaviors is acting in a predatory manner. Bears that attack you in your tent or confront you aggressively in your campsite or cooking area should also be considered a predatory threat.

If the bear does not respond to aggressive actions such as yelling, throwing rocks and sticks, etc., you should be prepared to physically fight back if it attempts to make contact. If you have bear spray, emit a deterring blast, preferably before the bear is within twenty-five feet. This gives the animal time to divert its advance.

GRIZZ...Confrontations are usually the result of a sudden encounter with a grizzly bear protecting its space, cubs or food caches. In defensive confrontations., the bear is attacking you because it feels threatened.

If contact is made, or about to be made, drop to the ground and play dead. Lay on your stomach, clasp your hands behind your neck, and use your elbows and toes to avoid being rolled over. If the bear does roll you over, keep rolling until you land back on your stomach. Remain still and try not to struggle or scream. A defensive bear will stop attacking once it feels the threat has been removed. Do not move until you are absolutely sure the bear has left the area.
Do not panic! Group together, pick up small children and assess the situation. Prepare to use your bear spray.

Do not run or make sudden movements, it may instinctively cause the bear to charge you.

Give bears a chance to identify you as human, and not a threat. If the bear stands up, it is trying to see, hear and smell you better. Talk firmly in a low-pitched voice while backing away. Avoid direct eye contact as bears may perceive this as a challenge or threat.

Continue to back away slowly and cautiously, retreating to a place of safety. Monitor the animal’s response, and adjust your actions accordingly.

Special Things to Know:::

Startled bears will often confront intruders by turning sideways to appear larger, make woofing and teeth clacking sounds, salivate, lay their ears back and slap the ground with their paws. These are warnings for you to leave the area.

Mother bears are very protective of their cubs. A startled black bear will often send her cubs up a tree while she stands guard at the bottom. This gives you an opportunity to leave without a confrontation. Mother grizzly bears try to avoid people, but if you surprise one, she might bluff charge to remove the threat.

If a bear stands on its hind legs, it is not being aggressive. It is trying to see, hear and smell you better in order to identify what you are. Talk firmly and in a low-pitched voice while cautiously backing away.

During extreme conditions such as droughts, thunderstorms and forest fires, all wildlife, especially bears may become more aggressive and confrontational.

Last edited:

Refrigerator

If you want a genuine Grizz or Black Bear experience go with me to Alaska. Where I go is a Game preserve very remote only accessible by Bush Plane.

I can get you at least 100 yards of a Grizz and closer to a Black Bear.

Bring your camera. These animals are very impressive when you see and observe them in there natural habitat.

I see this every year in Alaska.

rockytibby

I once lived in black bear country. Had then in my yard all the time . They must have a large territoy they circle around in. After awhile I could tell them apart. I would see them one at atime about every two weeks,thats a pretty large radious. I guess I'm just use to seeing them. I dont get that scared of running into one on the trail. They basicly wont bother you. Just make lots of noise so they know your coming. I do carry bear spray just in case. I'm more afraid of a human attacker than of a animal.