What you really need to survive

Mountainman

I am just an old poot getting started here. But from my military days, time in Vietnam and training received in military survival schools, I can categorically say that in order to survive, you must have the mindset and will to do so, regardless of the situation. I underwent arctic, jungle, desert, mountain, and water survival training. The main objective as I see it is to never put yourself into a survival situation but of course that can't always be helped. Therefore, the old Boy Scout motto - Be prepared - has always been of help. There are many articles, checklists, etc. that will help out but one rule I always go by is to keep some sort of knife, like a small swiss army knife, on my person wherever I go. I don't fly much so that is a reasonable accomodation. Additionally, since I live in Montana, I always carry a firearm when I go camping or doing anything in the outdoors. I can carry concealed and usually do, while maintaining proficiency with regular trips to the rnge. In addition, I hang around with some old geezers that have a passion for Black Powder sports and we use skills that were used by the free trappers of the fur trade era. I am leaving a URL that may be of some use to those of you who are interested:

HOME - MONTANA FREETRAPPER'S CAMP

Refrigerator

Back in your Military days did you ever get to Panama Canal Jungle School.JOTC. What about Rangers School at Fort Bragg NC, Camp Frank D Merrel in Georgia, Panama Florida?
Cold weather training at Fort Drum with the 5th group?

I like that web site you posted...thanks and I too am a veteran and proud of it.

bconticello

I am just an old poot getting started here. But from my military days, time in Vietnam and training received in military survival schools, I can categorically say that in order to survive, you must have the mindset and will to do so, regardless of the situation. I underwent arctic, jungle, desert, mountain, and water survival training. The main objective as I see it is to never put yourself into a survival situation but of course that can't always be helped. Therefore, the old Boy Scout motto - Be prepared - has always been of help. There are many articles, checklists, etc. that will help out but one rule I always go by is to keep some sort of knife, like a small swiss army knife, on my person wherever I go. I don't fly much so that is a reasonable accomodation. Additionally, since I live in Montana, I always carry a firearm when I go camping or doing anything in the outdoors. I can carry concealed and usually do, while maintaining proficiency with regular trips to the rnge. In addition, I hang around with some old geezers that have a passion for Black Powder sports and we use skills that were used by the free trappers of the fur trade era. I am leaving a URL that may be of some use to those of you who are interested:

HOME - MONTANA FREETRAPPER'S CAMP
Well said Mountainman!

Itchy_Ivy

I have never taken a survivalist class or anything like that. I sometimes worry about what would happen if I get lost or something happens. However, I would agree that having a swiss army knife would be a most. I would also like to have some matches because I still can't make a fire without them. I have tried, but haven't mastered the skill. I would like to have a compass too. I have a good sense of direction, but would like to be sure of to which way to go.

Mountainman

Back in your Military days did you ever get to Panama Canal Jungle School.JOTC. What about Rangers School at Fort Bragg NC, Camp Frank D Merrel in Georgia, Panama Florida?
Cold weather training at Fort Drum with the 5th group?

I like that web site you posted...thanks and I too am a veteran and proud of it.
I was an enlisted USAF Aircrew member on real airplanes with propellers! Because we flew throughout SE Asia, over water (Pacific, S. China Sea, etc.) and within Alaska, we had to cover all bases insofar as survival training was concerned. I had Basic survival, Escape/Evasion and arctic survival at Fairchild AFB, Water Survival at Turkey Point Florida and Jungle (short version) at Clark AFB. Only got as far south as Puerto Rico but made it to all 50 states, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Thiland, Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, Indonesia, Okinawa, Guam, Canada, and Greenland.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Great thread. These are my beliefs as well. Survival is a mind set and the skills make it easier. Preparation is the key as well as knowing when something is a really bad idea; this will get you further than any gear ever will. I have said many times that the 2 basic items I need to survive in most conditions are simply a knife and a fire steel - and of course the knowledge of how to use them effectively. I also use a flint and steel kit but for ease of use I prefer a fire steel.

I like the link posted as well. That is pretty much what I am into. Not so much the black powder (I'm a bow guy), but the primitive skills and basic wilderness lifestyle are a life-long pursuit and passion for me.

Glad to have some similar mind sets on board and I look forward to more posts.

oldsarge

Knowledge weighs nothing , but a bit of kit sure makes things easier
Exactly! I have been reading more and more since I started visiting these forums. It's great to read what others think. really get's one thinking about stuff in a different way. now I need to start practicing all these tidbit's of info and start developing my skills more.

orchard

I watched a crazy show last night about this guy stranded at sea for like 70 days, and you are right about the mindset. I think if that guy did not have it he would have never lasted. Same goes when you are in the woods, who knows what could happen if you are not prepared both mentally and physically.

oldsarge

I watched a crazy show last night about this guy stranded at sea for like 70 days, and you are right about the mindset. I think if that guy did not have it he would have never lasted. Same goes when you are in the woods, who knows what could happen if you are not prepared both mentally and physically.
Those are great shows "I shouldn't be alive", it's amazing what some folks go through without any survivl experience and make it out. Have you seen the one where the guy was on Everest and was left for dead, only to wake up without his gear. Totally amazing!

JollyRogers

Generally speaking you need 3 things to survive: Knife, fire, and footwear. The rest can be had. Technically, you can make all 3 of these too. But if you get stranded without them your odds are greatly diminished.

Knife for obvious reasons: It is a useful tool in more ways than I can count here.
Fire: Fire is your friend. It keeps you warm, cooks your meals, boils your water, hardens spears and keep you occupied.
Footwear: Take care of your feet. Without them your odds are slim/none.

Will and mindset are something I don't count. Either you have it or you don't. It's not something you can just pull out of your pocket or scavenge in the forest. We all have a certain survival instinct. But not everyone has the mindset on how to use it to actually survive.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
^ I beg to differ,
Knife, SHELTER, water.

You wont last long without 1 of those, can't live without food or water or prolonged exposure to the elements however with a KNIFE you can make just about anything you need save for water.

JollyRogers

^ I beg to differ,
Knife, SHELTER, water.

You wont last long without 1 of those, can't live without food or water or prolonged exposure to the elements however with a KNIFE you can make just about anything you need save for water.
You can differ all you like. But I'll just agree to disagree.

With fire you can do without shelter in most climates or at least survive until you are able to find/make a shelter. Drinking nasty water can kill you in a few days from dehydration caused by dysentery. Also, a lot of the food you might find may be contaminated with parasites and bacteria. Fire will kill these when properly boiled/cooked.

With a knife you can find water by digging, skinning, chopping/splitting plants. All of which are plausible ways to hydrate.

The knife also allows you to make a shelter out of available materials. Be it trees, various plants, or skins and hides or even the remains of your aircraft.

If you cannot walk you cannot search for food water or shelter. Game over.

You can live without food for weeks. Water only a few days. Shelter, depending on the climate zero to indefinitely. Most climates a minimum of several days.

You seem to be mixing survival tools with biological necessities which is confusing. As such I could argue that oxygen is required for survival.:tinysmile_twink_t:

I am giving my educated opinion of what tools are necessary to provide those necessities in almost any survival scenario, including food, water and shelter.