Kia 4x4

HikingGuy

Does anyone have one of these or know how they are for off roading? I found a cheap one, it's older but I would like to know more before I buy it.

oldsarge

What kind of off roading? I never gave those a second look. Having 4x4's since I started driving, I would say that they are not too trust worthy or reliable for off roading. I never owned one but have seen them before and I think the whole 4x4 concept for them is security on road in inclement weather. Drive train seems kind of week to me. If you are looking into something that you may want to upgrade for an off roader, see if you can pick up an older Jeep ( CJ, YJ, TJ, JK). Maybe something to take you off into the boonies somewhere and haul you gear too, see about a short bed pick-up or Bronco, Blazer or or Cherokee. Something with a little stronger axle and drive train. I'm not talking about building a monster truck or rock crawler, just something you can rely on if you run into rough terrain.

SweetSassyLady

Sorry but my opinion is "Kias are crap". We had a 2005 Kia Sedona that had around 80,000 miles on it. The water pump went out on the interstate. We had it towed, they replaced the serpentine belt, the water pump belt and the water pump. Then they tried to start it and found out the engine had blown. From the research I've done since then, generally when the water pump goes out, the engine blows. Never will I ever, buy another Kia of any kind. 2005 was the last year they had the 60,000 mile warranty on them. in 2006 they started the 100,000 mile warranty. Figures-just our luck. We're trashing the thing. Another engine would cost us $1400 which is just what the thing is worth IMHO.

EyeOfThePark

One of my uncle's work colleagues has a Kia 4x4 and he often complains that it's not good at all for off roading. He wants to get rid of it and buy a Toyota 4x4 Land Cruiser.

If I were you, I wouldn't purchase it, especially if it's not new.

HikingGuy

I decided against it. It appears that the general consensus is that they are crap. I decided I am going to start looking for an older Jeep instead, least I know they are quality.

oldsarge

I decided I am going to start looking for an older Jeep instead,
Even though I'm a Jeep guy, keep an eye out for the Toyota Land Cruisers too, they are great off roader's with a great history. I feel they rate up there with Jeeps. I have a friend who works in California at a place that specializes in Land Cruisers, he swears by them.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
KIA uses tin for body panels and the cheapest possible construction = cheap price..... I wouldn't be caught dead in a KIA....
Go get a subaru forester for 4K with 100k miles that runs like new or a subaru outback sport = higher off the ground with a turbo for about 5-6k

HikingGuy

Thanks for the advice. I am going to keep an eye out for either a Jeep or Toyota, they seem to be far better quality than what I was thinking about.

HikingGuy

What is the difference in the rear ends with the Dana 44 and other varieties? I am not overly knowledgeable of vehicles. The more I know, the more informed decision I can make.

oldsarge

Dana 44's are a stonger axle. That's the problem with owning an off road vehilce, the vicious circle of lifting the vehicle, get larger tires, start pushing a little harder off road, finding more and more reasons to upgrade and build stronger. Not that there's anything wrong with that! It can run into money down the road, but hey...what are we working for any way. Buld that truck up I say! Have fun and enjoy it. I did! Just do your research and you won't find yourself being drawn into a money sucking hobby. I have always upgraded to a point to serve my needs, a little more lift for clearnce, regearing for better off road performance. It all depends on how much to plan to do with the vehicle. You may be able to get by with a completely stock 4X4, it's all up to youy. I've seen guys go off roading with a 2 wheel drive pick up that had a "posi" rear end in it, and go through just as much stuff as a 4X4 did. If you are looking into a Jeep, go to the Jeep forums on line and read up a little, it will answer a lot of questions.

Last edited:

oldsarge

If you are going to be doing modifications to your vehicle that you buy or want MOAR advice might I suggest. Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world.
They are an unruly bunch but have a vast knowledge and a few searches through the site and you'll have all the information you need to make an informed buying decision + the forum is filled with 'how toos' on modding vehicles.
Good site! You will get some real idea as to how far some folks go with modifications. You have to appreciate anything custom!

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Just make sure to check the frame, in particular around the steering box mounts as it tends to rusts off.... literally, as well check the frame and tub to ensure its intact and not rusting, take a magnet with you and make sure that there are no holes filled in with bondo!

HikingGuy

Thanks for those tips. I thought it seemed decent considering price, mileage, etc. I am going to check it out tomorrow. I will let you know what I think.

oldsarge

Hey HikingGuy, how's it going with that Jeep you located? Did it work out for you? Just curoius!