Knife Sharpeners

Sarah

My husband has some crock sticks and also Lansky sharpeners to sharpen our knives, but I wish we had something a little easier to use for myself. Are there any knife sharpeners that you could recommend for a non-mechanical person such as myself :tinysmile_shy_t: ?

oldsarge

I think the Lansky set up is probably the best thing going for someone not used to sharpening knives. It's not all that hard to use once you get the hang of it. Other than a top of the line electric sharpener of some sorts, you may be hard pressed to find something that will do a consistent job, plus, be small enough to take to the field. You can learn and practice to sharpen by hand, but it can take a while to get your skill down. In the mean time you will be chasing your blade angle back and forth until you do. Some folks like the carbide angle bits you drag you blade across, I don't, that's just me. I've seen more blades damaged by these. Also if you see some guy at a knife show with a carbide bit on the end of a metal rod, and wants to sharpen your knife for free...run. Stay away from these, they hog a ton of metal off your blade.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Not sure what the name is but you can find the thing at a local Tractor supply for about 10$. Its got a plastic knuckle guard and a handle, best sharpener that's quick and easy that I've found! Takes the burrs off old blades and sharpens it to a shaving edge.

oldsarge

Not sure what the name is but you can find the thing at a local Tractor supply for about 10$. Its got a plastic knuckle guard and a handle, best sharpener that's quick and easy that I've found! Takes the burrs off old blades and sharpens it to a shaving edge.
Hogs off too much material for me. Might us it on a machete but won't ruin a good blade with one.

CozInCowtown

How about learning how to properly sharpen a knife instead of some "gadget"?
A quality sharpening stone is pretty reasonably priced and a sharp knife is a safe knife.
JMO,
DC

oldsarge

A quality sharpening stone is pretty reasonably priced and a sharp knife is a safe knife.
JMO,
DC
I agree! I hand sharpened my knives for years. I was hard pressed to even switch to using the Lansky system until a friend showed me how good it worked. It's a good set up but I still do most of my sharpening by hand the old fashioned way.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Hogs off too much material for me. Might us it on a machete but won't ruin a good blade with one.
Wont ruin the blade but perhaps it will shorten its life sightly. Its an all in one, burr remover and edger so 'shrug' its quick.

Sarah

JMO,
DC
I suppose I COULD, but I am impatient with those skills I have no desire to learn and that could take me awhile. Also, I'm afraid of ruining good knives if I rub them the wrong way on these things. I believe there is finesse required. :tinysmile_classes_t

oldsarge

Wont ruin the blade but perhaps it will shorten its life sightly. Its an all in one, burr remover and edger so 'shrug' its quick.
I did try these three times before and I got a wave in the blade I couldn't get out, an uneven shape in another blade and the last one just wasn't doing what I expected of it. I'm glad it's working for you! Like I said before, I will use it on a machete or small axe.

CozInCowtown

Sophia

Do you mean, how do you sharpen your knives while camping? Because I make sure my knives are sharp before I even go. And I use an electric knife sharpener that I have at home.

ChadTower

I would love to learn but this is a skill I'd like to be shown by an expert. I would rather not go trial and error on my good knives.

Michael

When learning to sharpen knives with a stone, you will screw up. You can't really avoid this. It doesn't matter who teaches you. The only way to learn is to mess up and learn from it.

So grab a whet stone and a knife you don't really care about. Try to match the angle of bevel against the stone, and move the knife along the stone so that the sharp side leads. Do both sides of the blade. Practice until you can make the knife sharp.

It's not terribly difficult or complex. You just need to do it a few times before you figure out how.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Take note of the guy actually using his fingers as 'stop blocks' so the blade wont change angle as he is moving.

I would love to learn but this is a skill I'd like to be shown by an expert. I would rather not go trial and error on my good knives.
Go to walmart -> camping section -> halfway down the isle
You will see 7$ knives for sale, buy 2, use them every day until dull then sharpen :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Last edited:

oldsarge

I agree, pick up some cheapo's and start learning. One thing about the video I didn't agree with is paying attention to parts of the blade more than another. The entire blade should be sharp not just close to the hilt for carving or the tip for something else. When I first started learning I messed up a lot. Seems that when I thought I had a good edge, I'd go a little further then mess it up. Really...go get a few cheap knives and learn.

CozInCowtown

I just did a quick YouTube search, there are several instructional videos on this in there.
Go find a grandpa somewhere who will show you, old folks homes are great for "how to" information.
DC

Newanderthal

Here's what you do.
Sharpen all your straight edge knives with a Lansky until they can shave. Whenever you use them, give them a quick once-over with a kitchen sharpener.

It takes about 10 seconds. Just three passes on each side and you're all set. If you do it after EVERY use, your knives will always be sharp. I use straight edge knives to cut tomatoes and they slice right through without any mashing.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
^ Note that carbide side is ONLY to be used when you can SEE burrs or 'bends' and 'nicks' in the blade, its to remove material, unless you see these 'burrs' you shouldn't have to use the carbide side of the sharpener!