Lightning

DThewanderer

What do you do if you are out hiking and a storm comes upon you with lightning. Do you take any special precautions or just keep going?

Refrigerator

There are three different ways that of lightning can harm you: direct cloud-to-ground strikes, side flashes, and ground currents. In a cloud-to-ground strike, two arcs of energy meet, an upward leader, emanating from a high point such as a tree or mountain top and one emanating from a cloud. These complete a circuit and create the flash of a direct strike. Direct strikes like this are relatively rare but can cause serious burns and stop the heart.

Side flashes occur when the cloud-to-ground strike fails to meet the upward leader and is attracted to another high point which is more conductive. Side flashes can arc through the air or travel over the ground and carry the same energy as a direct strike. Injuries due to side flashes are much more common than direct strikes.

Ground currents occur once the lightning has hit the ground. From there, it emanates from the point of the strike, dissipating along pathways such as wet rocks, crevasses, and tree root systems. Injuries from this type of lightning strike are also quite common and are just as serious as side flashes and direct cloud-to-ground strikes.

To minimize your risk from lightning, you want to get away from tall trees and away from mountain peaks or high ridges. If you are near or on the water, you want to get to shore and avoid wet areas that can conduct ground current. And if you are in a field, you want to get out of the open to avoid being the high point.

You can further protect yourself by squatting on top of your pack or a sleeping pad or on a boulder that sits on top of other boulders. If you can squat without your hands touching the ground, ground current will travel up one leg and down the other rather than traveling up your torso and cooking your major organ groups.

Refrigerator

If you find yourself in the middle of a lightning storm while hiking, first of all, do not panic. Stay calm and take the proper precautions.

Turn off all electronics (phone, GPS, etc.) that can act as conductors for the storm.
Make sure there is no metal protruding from your body or backpack (trekking poles, etc.).
Leave open fields, mountain tops, wet soil, and tall structures or trees; get as low as you can.
Do not stop moving as your chance of being hit by the lightning decreases when you move; head to a safe shelter.
Find a shelter away from the wind and that is unlikely to get hit, such as depressions, caves, or between rocks.

KeikoOka

Refridgerator, thanks so much for all of that great information about the different kinds of lightning strikes. I really had never thought about it that in dept before. I hope you don't mind me printing some of this out to look at later. Kind of helps me remember these sort of things.

IndianaHiker

Great information as always Refrigerator. A good reminder for me heading out Friday night with an 80% chance of Thunderstorms for the evening. Saturday looks better only 40%.

oldsarge

What do you do if you are out hiking and a storm comes upon you with lightning. Do you take any special precautions or just keep going?
If your a military veteran, you run up and use the lightening strike to light your cigar!

freedommachine

I was just thinking about this. In your post fridge you said to head for depressions,caves,or between rocks. The cave if you are to use one as shelter move far away from the opening.The ground current from a lightning strike is very strong and can jump the gap of a cave opening. That is some go info fridge, I just happened to remeber that because I do more caves during to spring,after snow melt and before rattle snake season,so right during thunder storm season.

DThewanderer

I really Laughed

If your a military veteran, you run up and use the lightening strike to light your cigar!
I really laughed out loud with that one! I don't think I would ever attempt that but I have a few buddies who might think that is the best idea they have ever heard.

oldmangunner

So when you get to the back of the cave should you still crouch down? When you are crouching do you want both feet and both hands on the ground or just the feet?

Grandpa

Long before I was a military veteran, two of us worked for the USFS as fire guards. Got a call in the middle of the night of a lightening strike and fire so we hiked up the mountain to a burning/smoldering juniper tree. Pouring rain so we lit up, huddled over the fire, ate the rations in the fire packs. When the rain about had the fire out, we axed the char, peed on the hot spots and went home. Best fire I ever had to fight.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

freedommachine

So when you get to the back of the cave should you still crouch down? When you are crouching do you want both feet and both hands on the ground or just the feet?
You know I am not to sure how to answer that. I would imagine if you are close to the opening sqaut down on the balls of just your feet. Now if you are half a mile or more back I dont know if you would have to do that. My fear of being in a cave during a lightningstorm would be if it hit the opening and made it colapse, then me stuck in there. A lot of the caves I do have openings just big enough to slide in on your belly with no pack on, so in a cave like that you cant even squat. I don't know.