A good hat

Ilovelife

When hiking I find that a good hat can be a great thing. What kind of a hat do you think is best for hiking, do you have a certain brand that you are fond of?

safn1949

Still searching for that perfect hat.....when I hike I constantly put it on and take it off depending on the sun,nothing like a sunburn in the thin spot.

oldsarge

Have one of my old issue Boonie hats I like to wear. I too am always taking it off and on.

JollyRogers

I've had several of the light mesh hats and never really liked any of them. My favorite is an oiled canvas fedora - think Indiana Jones. The reason I like it is because it is waterproof, (so the dog can drink out of it or I can carry water), windproof and has a wire stitched into the rim.

I gave my boonie cover to an uncle years ago and when he passed away one of his kids took it...
Miss that hat. I am looking for a new jungle boonie cover with a wire stitched into the rim.

The reason I like the wire rims is because you can form the hat to whatever shape you desire and regardless of wind/rain it will keep that shape. I hate floppy hats that droop when they get wet or blow back when the wind blows.

CozInCowtown

Tilley!

Pic of me in Iraq with my Tilley

That is actually my second Tilley, the first one got burned up when our truck got hit by an IED (roadside bomb).
Tilley honored the lifetime warrenty and sent me a new one.
DC

Last edited:

IndianaHiker

Tilley makes a great product. I have been using a baseball cap lately. I have a life is good hat but it gets warm. I know have a Under Armour ball cap I got on clearance and like it the material breaths very well.

CozInCowtown

We had alot of new guys show up with Underarmour t-shirts while working overseas.
I refused to let my guys & gals wear them while on missions outside the wire.
One, they melt in a fire and stick to skin. Bad idea in a burning vehicle.
Two, though this is a personal choice is they are hot in hot weather unlike cotton that will breathe to a limited degree.
Three, when you put a pot bellied, 300 lb, 50 year old man in a body fitting t-shirt.....that is just an image I do not want in my head again.
Camping around the states they are probably okay especially in cool weather.
DC

energystuff

I'm a huge fan of Tilley hats too but they are super expensive... like $100+

http://h1ker.com/tilley-hat/

The cool thing is they last forever and have a great warranty. They also float and they stay on with the simple chin and back string thing so blowing away isn't as much of an issue.

The only thing is, the one I got was a little tight though so test it out quite a bit before buying. I don't wear it as much now based on the tightness.

Last edited:

rockytibby

I have a boonie but its just not my style. So I found a very soft straw type of hat shaped like a cowgirl hat .I love it. Bought it at a shop called Icing.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I wear a boonie when I hunt my land but most of the time I wear a cowboy hat. I have several but my favorite is a Lite Felt. It's 100% wool felt, packable, and water repellent. I've had it plenty wet but it's never soaked through. Wool is like that. It has been stepped on by horses, blown off my head into ponds and mud, Pushed down into my pack, and knocked off my head by low branches. It's 12 years old and I think it will go some more years before I have to replace it.

Grizzly

Grizzled Camper
I hike with a bandana. Light weight keeps most of the sweat out of my face and is not that hot.