The easy or the hard one?

greentea

Just noticed a couple of days ago that when presented which a choice to take the harder, more exciting (dangerous) trail or the more boring and long one I always go for the hard one. Only noticed because I was with a few friends and they wanted to take the long way around. So which one do you go for?

IndianaHiker

Depends on the reward. If the shorter harder trail is more scenic or has something cool to see would take it. On the other hand of the longer safer trails is more scenic I would take it.

I like what a friend of mine once said regarding trail ratings. "I have no problem doing a trail that is rated 10 on the hard and strenuous rating. However it better also have at least a 7 or 8 rating for scenic value if I am going to spend that effort. I don't really care at all about the challenge level been doing this long enough to I don't need to prove I can do something to others or to my self. I am out for the scenery and just enjoying the sense of being one with nature.

Refrigerator

Yes to what Indiana said and scenic is a matter of your own perspective. some like the wildlife or fauna and some the view over a valley and beyond. I take them all and do not care about the rating as every trail has there own beauty and challenge no matter what level.

some of those hard trails have more solitude and less trash possibly. For me a view with a crowd is less a reward for me than a tough hike and knowing I did it and know something about that trail that those who only look for easy tennis shoe trails do not. I have herd some on easy trails complain so what is the definition of an easy trail to those who think different. OPINION is only that.

Keep your mind open for any condition as an easy trail can and will some day become hard.

Kepper

Wanderer
I will take the hard one if:
1. There is something worth doing / seeing that isn't available on the easier longer trail.

or

2. It isn't so hard that it is expected to exceed my ability or physical preparedness.

As a rule I like the challenge of a hard way, but I usually try to weigh it against the downside. If I go staight up a steep grade, am I going to be too tired to enjoy the rest of the day? Will it save me enough time that I can relax and take a breather?

campfire

I'm most likely going to pick the most rewarding. I'm not out there to be bored or take the easy long way. If I don't feel like really going for it, I'll just stay home.

rockytibby

I agree with Indianahiker. If the scenery is not there why put out the effort. Once a friend invited me on a very steep climb that took about 3 hours to do one way. The scenery and terrain was an eye sore and the view at the top was just ok. I would have rather hiked for 10 hours that day on a beautiful trail. Choose your poison well, if you like hard just because its hard than go for it.

ChadTower

I vary. Some days I want scenery. Some days I want exertion. Some days I just want to get away from the nagging in my house and don't care where I am going.

Barney

Well, it depends who I'm with. If I'm with some laid back people I would choose harder in an instant because I hate slacking on the trail. If you don't want to walk then go home.

ejdixon

I agree with IndianaHiker. It depends on what's the reward while going down the more difficult trail and what you get when you reach the end. If there's nothing much, I'd prefer to go for the easier route. All the more if I'm just hiking alone, and it's my first time around the area.

Gwen

I go trekking not only for the exercise but for a rewarding experience and the good memories to keep. A hard trail with an awesome scenery is always better than an easy trail that keeps me bored and sweating.

dinosaur

troublemaker
The road less traveled... by dinosaurs...who could even pretend to resist? Gotta love Frost!
That's what makes us dinosaurs. There are so few of us left. Most want the easy way. They want to be shown everything; entertained, if you will. The scenery is always beautiful. If it's not, you just don't know how to appreciate it. Never lose your sense of wonder.

Geezer

I'll take the easy trail. I don't care about getting there faster, I just want to be out. I'd rather take twice as long and enjoy myself and enjoy the scenery than give myself an aneurysm trying to take the adventurous trail.