Most memorable place?

LittleLady

What is the most memorable place you have ever camped? What made it so special?

I want to make a "bucket list" of places to camp. So location doesn't matter, just looking for some first hand recommendations.

Grandpa

via roads? Stanley or Redfish lakes, adjacent to the Sawtooth Wilderness, Idaho

via feet and backpack? Really too numerous to mention but Sawtooths, Wind Rivers, and Frank Church river of no return all have top billing in my travels.

My reasons are for totally majestic views with a blend of pine forests surrounding blue lakes with white granite peaks rising all around.

Others, of course, have different parameters for their ideas of beauty and these I respect. I would add Yosemite backcountry to this as well if it weren't for the gadzillions of people there.

freedommachine

The places me and my wife go,the roads arent even on maps! We camp at some beautiful lakes here in northern california, but when I have look at many different maps the roads are not there. Its just years of traveling of the beaten path to find them. Theres a few small lakes,cinder cones,lava flows,ice caves, mountains of obsidian and pumice, craters from volcanic eruptions,springs. This pic was last june. This at a campground we enjoy,its free,no outhouse,no tables,nothing more than a designated fire use area.

rockytibby

Medicine lake, Ca. should go on your bucket list. It sits at 7,913 ft. has beautiful views. The lake is crystal clear and warm enough to swim. Medicine lake is a shield volcano, which means the lake is the mouth of the volcano. They have pay camp grounds for tent or rvs or down the road is non pay camp sites for the more premative person. A must for your list. You can google medicine lake.

InTheWoods

Estes Park, Colorado will always be a favorite of mine. My husband and I were pretty young and it was before kids, but I had never seen such beauty in scenery and nature before. And I love the way the forest and woods smell! Luckily, I don't have a big problem with allergies.

Hikinggirl

My favorite place to camp is out in the canyon country in SE Utah. No tent....out in the open with all the stars and serenity.

Grandpa

My favorite place to camp is out in the canyon country in SE Utah. No tent....out in the open with all the stars and serenity.
Doing the Fish/Owl loop and the Bullet/Grand/Kane in a few days, soon as the weather lightens up. Hate those flash floods during the night.

energystuff

I really like this trail that goes to a waterfall in Mendocino California called the "Mendocino waterfall loop" check it out if you're in the area :D

Jobiwan

Tucker-Johnson shelter on the Long Trail in Vt just north of Maine Junction at Willard Gap on the Appalachian trail. It was the first shelter that I ever went to. My grandfather brought me there for the first time when I was a pre-teen. Fortunately, I was able to camp there one last time, in January, before it burned down. It will be rebuilt but relocated.

TonyC

Love to Camp in TT
Olympic national park,Wa anywhere along the coast is so beautiful, last year we went to Neah bay which is the northwestern most spot in the lower states. the point is called Cape Flattery and is so incredible to see. the west coast side has a nice bay called Makah bay and has a camping spot right on the beach for whatever you have tent,trailer,RV they have it all. the best part though is that one of the most beautiful beach hikes is just a mile or two down the road. the trail leads to the SHI SHi Beach and the Point of Arches.
It is about 3.5 miles one way but most of it is walking on the beach so it is not too hard to do it in one day. there and back seven miles in about 8- 9 hours with play time.
I will be going to LA Push beach on memorial day weekend it is very nice there also.

wvbreamfisherman

Hmmm Taquamennon Falls State Park in the UP of Michigan. Just a gorgeous place to be.

Also Cranberry River in West Virginia- quiet relaxing, nice hikes and good trout fishing. It's where I want my ashes scattered.

Beautiful places I've visited but not camped: The Gaspe' in Quebec- wonderful Atlantic Salmon fishing, Acadia National Park , Maine; the view from Cadillac Moutnain is unbelievable, and finally, Yosemite- I didn't get to spend much time there, but is is probably the moist beautiful place i've ever been!

I was there in mid-February, so there weren't many people there. I imagine it's a zoo in the warmer months.

LittleLady

I love it! Thanks to all for the great pictures and recommendations. They are so fun to look through and read about. It also definitely gives me some places to start researching. Thanks again :)

woodsman

If you ever get the chance, visit the Alps in the summer time, I guarantee it will be something you will never forget in your life, I'd recommend Switzerland or Austria, but they are breathtaking in every country they pass.

T

tentrus

I would say Old Forge because we went with a ton of friends and that made it perfect. The scenery was great too, but the people we camped with and all the fun we had made it the best camping trip.

Sammee

Anywhere in Alaska is beautiful and we don't plan where we'll stop, we just take off and see where we wind up. We've stayed just outside Homer and Seward as well as all around Anchorage.

oldsarge

Anywhere in Alaska is beautiful and we don't plan where we'll stop, we just take off and see where we wind up. We've stayed just outside Homer and Seward as well as all around Anchorage.
I have to agree with anywhere in Alaska. I've been down past Anchor point and north of Fairbanks, it's all absolutely great.