Para Cord

JameyStanley

I bought Para Cord off Ebay last year. I ended up with cheep commercial stuff. The reason I bring this up is because I recently ran out of my 1000ft spool. Where do you guys get para cord? Any suggestions? A friend recommended a site called Armed Forces Outfitters, Inc. They sell commercial, and military grade. I am looking to get an other 1000ft spool. Is $60 a good price for 1000ft of military grade para cord??

Barney

You have 1000' spools on CampingSurvival.com for about $35 and it's the real deal. Colors of 1000' spools to choose from are black, olive drab, white and multicamo paracord. Other colors are little more expensive + you have shorter lengths in many colors though. Also be sure to subscribe to their newsletter because there's an ongoing coupon for 5% discount at the moment. That said, you can get a spool for about $38-$39, including shipping.

http://campingsurvival.com/paavch.html

Last edited:

Sammee

There are loads of reputable online stores selling quality stuff. I don't trust Ebay for something like this because the quality from private sellers can be suspect although you can always claim your money back from Paypal if you're not satisfied.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
I bought Para Cord off Ebay last year. I ended up with cheep commercial stuff. The reason I bring this up is because I recently ran out of my 1000ft spool. Where do you guys get para cord? Any suggestions? A friend recommended a site called Armed Forces Outfitters, Inc. They sell commercial, and military grade. I am looking to get an other 1000ft spool. Is $60 a good price for 1000ft of military grade para cord??
Para cord at ranger joes.

Search @ Ranger Joes

Barney

Look what they say about authenticity of their paracord at CampingSurvival.com (a nice disambiguation).

"We sell you (& have always sold you) 550 Paracord which is the commercial version of the mil-spec Mil-C-5040 cord. Your 100' & 50' coil label refers to it as "military style"- which is a common description, but can be mis-interpreted. We also make the mil-spec cord & make it to the military spec & sell most of that to the military. However, some of it is also sold in the commercial market. It also tests 550 lbs, but is made from more expensive yarns & therefore is a higher priced item. When we are selling either, we always clearly label it either 550 Cord or Mil-C-5040 Cord.

This is a problem that is not limited to just us. This confusion is experienced by all of our competitors that make either of the cords too. The real shame is that not all of our competitors produce a quality commercial cord that tests 550 lbs. Some use inferior raw materials & just try to undersell everyone else."

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Look what they say about authenticity of their paracord at CampingSurvival.com (a nice disambiguation).

"We sell you (& have always sold you) 550 Paracord which is the commercial version of the mil-spec Mil-C-5040 cord. Your 100' & 50' coil label refers to it as "military style"- which is a common description, but can be mis-interpreted. We also make the mil-spec cord & make it to the military spec & sell most of that to the military. However, some of it is also sold in the commercial market. It also tests 550 lbs, but is made from more expensive yarns & therefore is a higher priced item. When we are selling either, we always clearly label it either 550 Cord or Mil-C-5040 Cord.

This is a problem that is not limited to just us. This confusion is experienced by all of our competitors that make either of the cords too. The real shame is that not all of our competitors produce a quality commercial cord that tests 550 lbs. Some use inferior raw materials & just try to undersell everyone else."
Uhhhh even on a military base, 550 cord is not rated to 550lbs, its rated at 50 per length of cord. At least that's what the package says.

JameyStanley

Yea I have looked at para cord at camping survival and debated about getting it. However the fist thing that jumps out at me on the item description is where it says "PLEASE NOTE: This item may not come on a continuous 1000' spool, and may be broken up into shorter lengths." Has any one got cordage from camping survival? I don't want to end up with 100 10ft hanks of para cord or 10 100ft hanks for that matter.

GROUNDpounder, have you gotten cord from ranger joes?

Barney

Yea I have looked at para cord at camping survival and debated about getting it. However the fist thing that jumps out at me on the item description is where it says "PLEASE NOTE: This item may not come on a continuous 1000' spool, and may be broken up into shorter lengths." Has any one got cordage from camping survival? I don't want to end up with 100 10ft hanks of para cord or 10 100ft hanks for that matter.

GROUNDpounder, have you gotten cord from ranger joes?
They have very good customer support and are very reasonable and I can assure you that paracord won't come in 10' hanks (which I will admit sounds like a classic small print scam). Call and ask them.

oldsarge

Uhhhh even on a military base, 550 cord is not rated to 550lbs, its rated at 50 per length of cord. At least that's what the package says.
That's the working load of the cord. It's breaking limit is 550 pounds. Like Army issue rappel rope. It's breaking point is 3846 pounds, but if I'm not mistaken the working load is around 450. Either way 550 cord, the real thing or not is still some pretty tough stuff and ample for anything I've ever needed it for in the field.