U.S.G.I. Three piece sleep system

JameyStanley

I have been looking into getting a military surplus modular sleep system. Its a three piece sleep system, it has an intermediate bag, a light bag and a water/wind proof gortex bivy. Has any one every used one? Or have one? Do you think its worth it? If you have one where did you get it? And how much was it? I have seen them advertized at any where from $80-$350. The $80 ones almost always seam to be a scam, it says its all three pieces but the fine print says its just the bivy. Any advice?

Amazon.com: Military Modular Sleep System 4 Piece with Goretex Bivy Cover and Carry Sack

IndianaHiker

After doing some research as a backpacker I am not interested nor impressed with this system. However I haven't used these things hands on but here is my train of thought based on knowledge of how sleep systems work.

1. Claim is made that the bags can be used down to -30 using both bags and bivy. I don't believe that. A sleeping bag is warmed be air trapped in the loft of the bag. Placing one bag inside of the other is very ineffective. What happens when you do this you are degrading the loft of the bags by stuffing on in the other thus losing warmth.

2. Gortex bivy will not add that much warmth and in fact could make you colder. If the bivy is sealed around you and even more so if your face is inside of it. It will cause condensation. The condensation will cause you to became wet and feel colder. The human body produces as about a liter of water during the night from the skin and your respiration.

3. Only thing that I could find on the weight stated that the system weight 10 Lbs. Not in my back pack. Second issue with the weight is that 2 synthetic filled bags will take up a lot of space. They simply do not compress as well as down.

Not that I am an expert by my current sleep system is this:

45 degrees and up: I use a 60 degree Slumber Jack bag. Weight 18 Oz. if I expect the temp to be closer to the 45 than 60 I take a Polartek long johns and a fleece shirt to sleep in. If closer to 60 don't need the long johns and fleece top,

45 degrees to 0 degrees. I use a Monte-bell synthetic bag the Super Burrow Bag. It is rated to 30 degrees and I have comfortable in it without base layers down to 30. I have been cozy in it down to 15 with the long johns and fleece top and a watch cap. While I haven't done it believe that I could with the proper base layer sleep and down sweater sleep in it close to 0 degrees. The weight of this bag is about a 18 oz.

With both these options I use a Thermarest Trail Lite pad or a Bag Agnes Insulated Air Core.

In my opinion again no expert but I do log a lot of bag night. Even though I have a synthetic bag you would be better spending you money on a good dawn bag. They are lighter, compress better, and will last longer. While I like my bag I wish I had waited and saved up a few extra buck and gotten the down bag.

Hope that helps some if you need any specific information on loft and grade of feathers let me know.

Last edited:

oldsarge

I also have used the three piece system, over all it's not a bad set up, I never had to carry one around though. It's bulky and I never had to use it to -30º. I used mine while stationed in the desert and it was stored in a vehicle. It was used in 5º weather and I slept fine. So did every one who used the Army issue extreme cold weather bag. Over all Indianahikers assesment is a good one, It all sounds like a great deal but there's other sleep systems out there that will out perform or match it that are lighter weight and compress better. Though I disagree with the comment about the Gortex Bivvy cover. The cover works great on other bags by allowing the condesation to pass through the bag while preventing water from entering. Gortex is not meant to provide warmth, it a protective water repellant outer shell. Breaks the wind good too. Here is a company that makes some really great bags. I never used one but know of folks who tested them for the military. These are big with special forces due to being so light weight. Just another option to chose from!

Wiggys | Manufacturer of the finest outdoor gear in the world | Sleeping bags | Extreme Cold Weather Gear | Fire Retardant Underwear

IndianaHiker

I also have used the three piece system, over all it's not a bad set up, I never had to carry one around though. It's bulky and I never had to use it to -30º. I used mine while stationed in the desert and it was stored in a vehicle. It was used in 5º weather and I slept fine. So did every one who used the Army issue extreme cold weather bag. Over all Indianahikers assesment is a good one, It all sounds like a great deal but there's other sleep systems out there that will out perform or match it that are lighter weight and compress better. Though I disagree with the comment about the Gortex Bivvy cover. The cover works great on other bags by allowing the condesation to pass through the bag while preventing water from entering. Gortex is not meant to provide warmth, it a protective water repellant outer shell. Breaks the wind good too. Here is a company that makes some really great bags. I never used one but know of folks who tested them for the military. These are big with special forces due to being so light weight. Just another option to chose from!

Wiggys | Manufacturer of the finest outdoor gear in the world | Sleeping bags | Extreme Cold Weather Gear | Fire Retardant Underwear
I might have to try a Bivy again I just haven't had the best of luck with them. Most of my experience with them was on warmer nights and was just looking for to stop the rain form soaking me. I was trying to replace a tarp or tent with just a Bivy. Maybe it would work for me in cooler temps.

LittleLady

Son and son-in-law have them. Neither use them.
Short, sweet and to the point! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

My husband also has one and it sits in the storage shed 90% of the time. I think there are better options for your money.

Valdaree

My son in law is in the army and he goes on overnight fishing trips in all weathers but I have never heard him mention using one of these. I'm betting he has one and if they were any good he'd be boasting about it!