Any avid Spelunkers?

betsy

Are there any avid Spelunkers on here? I have a fascination for finding fossils, there is a fossil deposit near my house, I still find things there. Love it!

Hannah

I am not sure how I would like rolling around in a cave with who knows what. Friends of mine explored a bat cave not long ago. I am not a fan of enclosed spaces.

Smack

I love exploring caves of any size and shape. Near where my brother lives, in Bangor, Alabama, there's a cave that has a lot of history to it. There is a naturally formed limestone bar inside it, and back in the day, people (civilians and civil war soldiers) used the cave as a bar, where bartenders served drinks and ladies danced.

MtMakiling

Back in the Philippines when I was so much younger, I was fortunate to explore caves that were inhabited ages ago. Didn't see any fossil but earthen jars.

On my recent trip to Sicily I also had a chance to see Dionysus's Ear. It's a one-of-a-kind cave. It's massive but it's a short one.

Last edited:

LongShanks

I'm claustrophobic so I won't do a lot of cave exploring. As long as it's like the cave in the picture above, that's fine. But when it gets down to having to crawl and wiggle to get through an area, count me out!

orchard

I think I would be okay as long as there are no serious height issues, I get a little wheezy around certain spots, not entirely claustrophobic but when it looks a little old and rugged I get a little flush in the face.

SweetSassyLady

I wouldn't mind as long as you don't have to crawl or wiggle through anything. I don't think I would do that because it doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun to me. I'm an outdoors kind of gal and like wide open spaces more than anything.

Grandpa

Not many caves around here to explore. Most have been commercialized by the park service. I took my cubscouts to a lava tube last year, ran into a den of bobcats, saw where old indians used to camp in there and hit my head a few times. But not going out of my way to go into another.

There are some old mine shafts I've been in but they are kind of dangerous as well. The timbers are rotting and when you seen piles of rubble where the ceiling has peeled, it's time to get out of there. There is an old shaft near here. He went in 300-400 yards but had lost the vein. So he sunk a shaft down about 30 ft and the next day it was full of water. If you don't know the shaft is there, you will be wading in the water running out and step into that shaft.

freedommachine

Living on the west coast side of the U.S. there is lots and lots of caves. I live to do cave. Smaller the better. Me and my wife have done over a 100 caves in the first 2 years we were together. Helmants, knee pads, boots, gloves are a must. They are so fun to do. Crawling on your belly through a cave is not as bad as it sounds. We have done so many small one that I cannot wear anything on my back because there is not enough room. So I have to pull my camel back along,or push it along in front of me. So I mostly use cargo pockets to stay thinner while going through caves. Remember is you get stuck in a tight passage, they will have to break YOUR bones to get you out.