Bug repellant that's safe for kids

3ofusnow

Are there any bug repellants that are safe for kids? I have two young children and I hate to have to keep them indoors all summer just because the mosquitos are so bad!

oldmangunner

Avon sells a product that is safe for kids. My daughter uses it on her kids. I think it is called Skin So Soft, or something like that. It is not marketed as a bug repellent but it does repel bugs for some reason.

Hayley

Don't quote me, but I believe that the Off products when used sensibly are okay, too. I do know that Consumer Reports recently stated that Off is still the most effective repellent.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Skin-So-Soft does work but it's not perfect. It won't work in an area where there is an infestation of mosquitos. But what kind of moron is going to take a kid into that kind of area?

bachse

I use Cutter's Skinsations. Which I like for its low deet concentration (deet has been approved for child use, but there are also a lot of natural alternatives if you would prefer for child use).

Refrigerator

Natrapel at REI.com

Perfect for playtime - a kid-safe, DEET-free bug spray that lasts up to eight hours! Natrapel's active ingredient is Picaridin, which is CDC-recommended for its safety and effectiveness. Gently repels mosquitoes, black flies, and ticks, guarding against West Nile Virus, Lyme disease, and other infectious diseases. Non-greasy and non-staining; you can provide extra protection by spraying it on your child's clothing. 3.5 oz. spray bottle For ages 2 years and up.

Insect repellents containing DEET have been tested and approved as safe for kids, but you should take some precautions with them.

Choose a repellent with no more than 10% to 30% concentration of DEET (look for N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide on the label). Use lower concentrations if kids will be outside only for an hour or two. If they're outside longer, consider using a repellent with a higher concentration of DEET. (The higher concentration means that it will last longer.)

Generally, repellent with DEET should not be applied more than once a day, and is not recommended for babies younger than 2 months old.

DEET can be used on exposed skin, as well as clothing, socks, and shoes, but should not be used on the face, under clothing, or on the hands of young children.

•Do not use a single product containing both sunscreen and DEET — sunscreen needs to be reapplied frequently, while DEET should not be applied more than once a day.
•Concentrations higher than 30% are not more effective and the chemical (which is absorbed through the skin) can be toxic. Be sure to follow the directions on the label.
•If you apply insect repellent to exposed skin, do so sparingly. Do not apply repellent to kids' hands — that way, they can't ingest it if they put their hands in their mouth. It also can cause irritation if they touch their eyes.
•Avoid spraying the repellent anywhere near the mouth, so it can't be ingested.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says that repellents containing the ingredients picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus also can protect against mosquitoes.

Picaridin is a compound found in many mosquito repellents used in Europe, Australia, Latin America, and Asia. Its chemical name, which you might find in the list of "active ingredients" on a product, is KBR 3023. Years of safe use of picaridin in other parts of the world attest to its safety and effectiveness.

Oil of lemon eucalyptus is also known as P-menthane diol, or PMD, for short. PMD is a plant-based repellent that gives protection time similar to low concentrations of DEET products. It is not recommended for kids under 3 years old.

Whatever repellent you choose, check the list of active ingredients to make sure that one of these effective chemicals is on the list, and follow the directions carefully.

I use Natrapel

sticks

Señor Member
I have been using picaridin based repellents for over 5 years. It has been used in Europe for over 20 years. Doesn't have the harsh smell of Deet. I use it on my dog too mainly to keep the deer fly off her.

Walmart and all the major chain stores like them carry various brands containing it, no need to mail order through REI.

Refrigerator

I have been using picaridin based repellents for over 5 years. It has been used in Europe for over 20 years. Doesn't have the harsh smell of Deet. I use it on my dog too mainly to keep the deer fly off her.

Walmart and all the major chain stores like them carry various brands containing it, no need to mail order through REI.
Yes what sticks said is true you can get this cheaper if you shop around.
Rei was just a reference link to take a peek......Nothing was said about buying at REI.

Last edited:

sticks

Señor Member
Yes what sticks said is true you can get this cheaper if you shop around.
Rei was just a reference link to take a peek......Nothing was said about buying at REI.
10-4 on that Fridge. You know how some people take what's said at face value so I threw that out there.