Stolen gear

hippieP

Has anyone ever been robbed when out and about for a trip? We just got back from an over niter and while we were off collecting some wood since it was chilly last night someone actually stoke our tent and the wood we had started to collect earlier. We came back early to make sure we had time to get changed and off to work but I am still shocked over this.

LivingToCamp

That is a terrible thing to have happen to you while camping! Some people will steel anything they can get their hands on and think nothing of it. I think I would be very very upset if something like that happened to us!

Camoguy

That's horrible! Usually people are generally more responsible and considerate to one another. But it doesn't take but one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch. I'm sorry you had such a hard time while trying to have fun.

steves

That's LOW
I actually ran into a guy once (well he ran into me) beating feet down the trail with a bunch of gear all bundled up in his arms. I stopped him because I thought he had stolen it, turns out he was camping when he got a call that his kid was in a accident, guy was all flustered and dragging stuff that would of been easier and faster to pack and carry. We exchanged numbers I took his gear and he ran, called me later that day his kid was fine I gave him back his gear all packed properly! Turned out he worked for a local outfitter store and has been hooking me up with deals and free stuff ever since.
But you never know, and I wouldn't hesitate a second to question something that didn't look right again!

IndianaHiker

Has anyone ever been robbed when out and about for a trip? We just got back from an over niter and while we were off collecting some wood since it was chilly last night someone actually stoke our tent and the wood we had started to collect earlier. We came back early to make sure we had time to get changed and off to work but I am still shocked over this.
Just wondering if you were at a campground or somewhere in the back county. I have been lucky enough not to have anything take but I rarely am in busy areas. Just an observation but in my experience the further from the camp grounds and trail heads you get this seems to be less of a problem. Sorry to hear about your experience. Don't let this stop you though. You will find that this really isn't all that common place. Seems that a lot of the criminal element is to lazy to venture out into the wilds.

Ilovelife

I have never been robbed, well there was one time a raccoon ran off with a few things. Still, I read in the paper that there have been a string of burglaries at the local campground and that sickens me.

wvbreamfisherman

I have a buddy up in Ontario that was on a canoeing/camping trip for a few days, and came back to the parking area to find his Chrysler minivan had had both sliding doors and the removable seats stolen. That's some pretty brazen thieves (and also some that know somethng about taking minivan's apart).

oldsarge

Once the idiots learn that people are out hiking and leaving their equipment behind, they just plan their oun outing adventure at our loss. Time to start booby trapping our gear!

Grandpa

10 Miles into the wilderness and woke up to find my bear rope cut and all food gone. There was a young family in the same basin so I went to check them out. Their's had been taken too. Ten miles to the car with no coffee or food in my gut? I was not a happy camper but I really felt sorry for the family. They were making a hard time of it. I met other hikers coming the other way and they promised to share some snacks with the young family. Most people are great but there always has to be someone..........

DylanT

Low, low, and low.
Had a beaver steal a wok and mount a getaway into a river. That's smart. But people stealing from other campers is low.