Alone or with others?

limbs

I prefer to hike alone, it helps me to get centered and really get in to nature. Do you like to hike alone or do you like to hike with other people?

Grandpa

Both The only thing better than a trip with good friends is an occasional trip alone with just my dog.

oldsarge

I'm so glad this isn't one of those weird trick sex questions! I tend to go alone most of the time but on occasion I will go with others.

Scotty

It just depends upon my mood. When I have things to think about, I will take off by myself. It helps me to think if I'm off walking by myself. The walking seems to clear my head and I can think clearer. But then, that's just me.

perchbutt

perchbutt
Don't mind going out w/ other folks, but since many of my buddies out here are older and/or have various disabilities, it's not often I get the chance to hike w/ anyone of similar physical ability. My odd schedule also makes it harder to connect w/ others of similar inclination. I generally just go alone.

megawalker

Most of my walking is done alone because I combine it with errands. On the few times I've tried walking with others I end up going to fast and having to slow down--my legs are half the length of my body and they just power me on.

kunzr88

It just depends upon my mood. When I have things to think about, I will take off by myself. It helps me to think if I'm off walking by myself. The walking seems to clear my head and I can think clearer. But then, that's just me.
Same goes for me. Then again there is nothing better than sharing the beauty and adventure with some of your close friends or loved ones. I would be able to get out either way in my opinion.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I love doing both. There is nothing better than hitting the trail by myself, with the possible exception of doing so with my wife, or a group.

Gwen

Most often I go out alone, but not too far or I may not be able to get back on my legs. It calms my mind to be able to go out and commune with nature on my own. But sometimes I also go out with friends especially on longer treks, for safety reasons.

Morgan

There are times when I like to hike alone and there are times when I like to hike with someone else. When I like to meditate then I want to be alone but when I want to enjoy then I would go with my friends.

ejdixon

Once in a while, I go hiking on my own, especially if I've just had a pretty rough week. It helps me to gather my thoughts and relax.

Mudslide

Usually alone unless the wife wants to do a shorter overnighter. Ive got a 5 day trip coming up with a friend of mine in Nov. Ill know by then if I like going solo more or less!

EddieK47

Old Yankee
I usually hike alone because most of my friends are content with sitting at home and whining about pains.I have them to but I keep truckin!

ponderosa

I used to hike alone often, but haven't in a while for some reason. Most of the time I like to hike with a small group (2-4) of carefully chosen people. My available trail time is sufficiently limited these days that I'm not going to waste a single mile by going with anyone that I don't really enjoy. I'm definitely not the type to meet up with a group of 8 or 12 random folks. I have friends who organize and participate in that kind of group hike and have a great time, but it isn't for me.

SweetiePie

I really prefer to go hiking alone, that way I can enjoy nature at my own pace and don't have to wait on or try to keep up with someone else.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Im on the fence here. It would be nice to find someone to go with, but at the same time, alone sounds like a lot of fun. No one to outpace you or hold you back.

Of course, the old joke applies - hike with someone slower than you. If you run into a bear, or bigfoot, or those guys from Deliverance, you have someone to leave behind as a distraction. "I can't outrun the bear, but I can outrun YOU".