Meals Ready to Eat

Gwen

Being relatively new to backpacking I would appreciate some feedback regarding MREs to bring along including how much water and MREs I should bring for at least three days of backpacking.

oldsarge

MRE's are heavier than other brands of trail food. I do like them, but I think I would go with the lighter stuff for three days of backpacking. As far as water is concerned MRE's are not freeze dried and do not need re-hydration. Water depends on how much you will normally use. I would consider getting a filtration system to lighten your load. MRE's are packed full of calories, way more than some folks care to consume. I would go with 2 MRE's a day, that's just the main meal and not all the added cakes, cookies and candy.
In the military we would take out what we wanted from the main packet and get rid of the rest. One way to lighten things up a bit. Again, I personally like MRE's...but then again I like TV dinners and airline meals.

Last edited:

Lamebeaver

MREs (Meals Rejected by Ethiopians) are way to heavy for backpacking. Plus, I don't particulary care for all of the preservatives and trans fats these things are loaded with.

If you're interested in pre-packaged foods, look at Mountain House or something like that, or make your own. There are plenty of recipe books available, or look on the internet. Here's a website of a friend of mine.

Home - One Pan Wonders

Last edited:

ponderosa

I agree with Lamebeaver on the MRE question. There are also many foods in the grocery store that work very well for backpacking. You'll be surprised what you see if you walk up and down the aisles with backpacking on your mind. Instant dehydrated hummus and refried beans, foil packed tuna and chicken, cous cous, shelf stable meats, etc are all pretty widely available. And it's easier than you might think to make your own. I like the website LB provided, and I also like Welcome to TrailCooking.com and FreezerBagCooking.com | Trail Cooking.
All that said, I have hiked with people who used MREs. They will work if you really like them, and don't mind the weight/bulk involved.
As for water, the general rule is 2-3L per person, per day. Of course, you do not have to carry all of that at once if you will be hiking near water sources. Just bring some method to treat the water (I realize you probably already know this, but I have met new backpackers who didn't know there were safe/common ways of using water from streams and lakes). If you are bringing food that does not require water for cooking/rehydration, you may be able to get away with a bit less water. OTOH, if the weather is hot, you need considerably more.

Grandpa

With todays filtration devices, it's amazing the water that you can process and drink safely with the right equipment.

Traveler

Bring chocolate bars or granola bars, if you are vegetarian, in your hike instead of MRE's. You don't die in three days without eating MRE's. Plus you will enjoy your meal when you get back home because I'm sure you're famished by that time.

oldsarge

But MRE's have that great Alpolicious flavor that make you want more!!!!

Newanderthal

If you're dead set on MRE's, do this: Open the packs. Then open the cardboard boxes. Then take out all the little food packs. Bring the packs of food, the heating elements, one of the heating bags, and one of the big brown bags. Leave the other 40lbs of packaging behind.

Most MRE's have about 1200 calories. 2 per day is probably all you need.

Michael

Bring chocolate bars or granola bars, if you are vegetarian, in your hike instead of MRE's. You don't die in three days without eating MRE's. Plus you will enjoy your meal when you get back home because I'm sure you're famished by that time.
It depends on how much hiking you plan to do. If I were going to be hiking a lot on those three days, I'd want to bring a lot more calories than a couple of bars of whatever.

You can go through a couple thousand extra calories per day if you're hiking, compounded by hills, compounded by snow. You'll start to feel pretty weak and miserable after a day or so of only having a couple of granola bars. Your body can certainly survive a few days of this, but it's not going to be a happy, fun time.

Do yourself a favour, and figure that you're going to eat like a horse if you're going to spend three days hiking. Plan accordingly.

oldsarge

One thing to consider with MRE's is the reason they pack way more calories is due to it being a combat ration. When you're humping a ruck wieghing 80-100 pounds not including a weapon and tactical gear all day, you will be burning up some callories. Even though your're issued a meal for breaksfast, lunch and dinner, you don't always get a chance to sit down and eat them. Like Newanderthal and I stated earlier, pull out what you want from the MRE's and chuck the rest.

CozInCowtown

I have ate MREs for years now and most are quite good to eat. I even liked the vegatarian MREs, the vegatable minicote is really good cold.
When working on projects for the DoD you get to eat lotsa MREs.
As far as camping you will have to empty out the contents as they are quite large in the factory bag.
They are good eatin' though, don't let'em fool ya'.
DC

IndianaHiker

Sounds like they must have improved since I was eating them. This was back in early 80's must of them sucked. Biggest compliant besides the taste was what they did to the digestive track. Might as well been eating Quickcrete. Those things back then would bind you up really bad.

oldsarge

They have improved! I too was around when they transitioned from C-rations to MRE's. They were not good at all. The new ones are much much better. Does anyone remember the freeze dried LRRP's. They were the best by far.

Grandpa

I served my tour with a mess tent always near by, never did have to eat a c ration. But I ate plenty of them working summers for the forest service as a fire fighter. I still have a p38 from that era.

oldsarge

One of my favorite C rations, Beef slices and potato chunks doused with Tabasco. My next favorite was the Spaghetti, but you had to put in the cheese on top, then set the box on fire to heat it up. Now all the coagulated grease melted down and mixed with that cheese and the smokey flavor....Mmmmmmm, now that eat'n!

southerngal

I have never actually had an MRE that was an army ration or store bought, but we have been making our own. I like knowing what's in my food, and my hubby is diabetic so we have ingredient concerns on his end too.