Meals Ready to Eat

oldsarge

I do have my original P38 still hanging on my key ring.
I can recall in basic training, after we were given a P38, we all hung them from our dog tags...then the damn thing would work it's way open and you would stab yourself in the chest every so often when you had to get in the prone position. Then they went on key rings.

Roy

I never take MRE's but I do like the bars. I know a lot of people complain about them but I think they taste good. I do admit though that after three or four days of bars I'm ready for a real meal.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
If you're dead set on MRE's, do this: Open the packs. Then open the cardboard boxes. Then take out all the little food packs. Bring the packs of food, the heating elements, one of the heating bags, and one of the big brown bags. Leave the other 40lbs of packaging behind.

Most MRE's have about 1200 calories. 2 per day is probably all you need.
Completely agree on this - Once you open them up you'll see a lot of stuff you probably DONT need. The coffee creamer, a spoon in each meal, extra toilet paper (you're hopefully already packing), stuff you don't like (those oily raisins are NASTY). They make a LOT of trash you have to pack out.
I would suggest, if you're dead set on MREs - buy a couple of boxes. Learn what you like and what you don't like. I love the wheat bread thing, some don't. Figure out how to use the heater things, there's a knack to doing it properly.

My favorites are the vegetarian meals - although I'm not vegetarian. Ill fight you for the Spicy Penne Pasta...
But considering the cost, its probably a lot cheaper to go Mountain House or something else. They work out to around $9 a meal in the box, and if you start throwing stuff out or giving it away, that's cash in the trash.

*I'm a noob hiker, but I've been eating MREs for years with our summer kids program at work. We have four MRE meals each summer, so I've had a lot of them.

oldsarge

Either "Cheaper Than Dirt" or "Sportsman Guide" sell main entrees of MRE's. You can buy just the main meal without all the other junk. But then again, If you were to go that route, why not just buy a better quality meal in the first place. Like I said before about MRE's, it's all about that alpolicious flavor...Mmmmm Mmmm!

Grandpa

Hi...

Yes, I've checked out their site before. They all look very tasty, but I haven't ordered from them yet.

Will you let us know what you think of them after you've tried them?
One of my fellow hikers had packit gourmet last year and said they were great.

ppine

Forester
The regular grocery store has plenty of food items that work for backpacking like ponderosa said. When you are in country with plenty of water dehydrated food is a big advantage. I went to Big Bend on the other hand, and knew that we would have to carry water. Hydrated food had some benefits under those conditions. Pulling out lettuce and an avocado out of pack is unconventional but really cheered up the group out in the desert.

People need to realize that if you are hiking or skiing in cold weather, the caloric requirements can easily exceed 5000 or even 7000 per day. There is a famous story about some Californians that attempted to ski to the North Pole. They brought lots of salad and cheese and little meat. They were all med-evacted out within 10 days.

Last edited:

Refrigerator

I have used them all and Packit Gourmet is good.......Grocery stores have come a long way iffin you know what to shop for....cheap and good too.

I buy Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, Packit Gourmet, MRE's, Mary Janes Farm and many other food retailers and they all work iffin you like it......i likem all....

BGreen

There are many takeaways here, but I love seeing the vantage points of an old soldier who humped the bush as opposed to the healthier, more nutritious conscious viewpoint of more modern ways. There's something in this forum for everyone. Do you know in Vietnam, those MRE packages still had Lucky Strike Greens in them from World War I?

Refrigerator

There are many takeaways here, but I love seeing the vantage points of an old soldier who humped the bush as opposed to the healthier, more nutritious conscious viewpoint of more modern ways. There's something in this forum for everyone. Do you know in Vietnam, those MRE packages still had Lucky Strike Greens in them from World War I?
talking Vietnam have you had LRP's ? Long Rang Patrol food.....all dehydrated.....as a Ranger we had them.

oldsarge

talking Vietnam have you had LRP's ? Long Rang Patrol food.....all dehydrated.....as a Ranger we had them.
Sounds like that is what he may have had since MRE's didn't come out until the 80's. Prior to that it was C-rations. LRP's were the best! I remember doing basic train in 77 and getting cigarettes in my C-rat. I didn't smoke, and those who did didn't benefit either because we had our cigarettes collected up by the Drills.

Eppo

When I started backpacking in 1969 I carried a lot of Mountain House and Campmor freeze-dried food. Nowadays, I never carry any of that stuff and I don't even consider that real food anymore. No more shrimp creole and beef stroganoff for me. Three days is nothing and, in my humble opinion, you should just carry real food. These days for a three day trip I would carry an apple for breakfast each day. In addition, I pour some hot water over some old-fashioned oats and eat them with some raisins or other dried fruit. For lunch I eat granola bars, peanut butter & crackers, hummus mix with flat bread, carrot sticks, and dried fruit. For dinner I carry ramen noodles, soy sauce, and nori flakes. I add fresh broccoli, carrots, onions, garlic, cabbage, peppers, you name it. I no longer eat animal-foods so my diet is all vegan. Even though most hikers I see at campsites are NOT vegans they salivate with envy when I start steaming my broccoli and onions. These are fresh veggies. I don't use freeze-dried veggies unless I am carrying more than five days of food. Fresh veggies last for several days even in extreme heat. I generally carry two pounds of food per day but for short trips I will extend that to three pounds per day in order to carry more fresh food. That's nine pounds of food for three days but your pack gets lighter quickly and it's so worth it to have quality meals.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Eppo's right, real food! I never liked freeze dried or MREs. The best comment I ever made concerning them was "Not bad.".

When I have a pack animal, I carry canned goods and yes, Sarge, I open them with a P38.

Last edited:

Marlinman

I just product tested Sandwiches Ready to Eat by Bridgford Foods Corp, and they seem to have applications for hunting, camping and fishing. Though a bit bready, they tasted good and definitely filled the bill for a quick snack/meal where room in your pack is at a premium. Just open and eat. I will definitely use them in the furure. A great idea for a quick, ready to eat meal on a camping/backing trip.
This company makes MRE's and this application is more specific and better suited to camping and hunters on the go who don't want to carry around the weight of MRE's.

Last edited:

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I find the mountain house meals and coleman instant stuff convenient more than anything. On an overnight though it's easy enough to carry some real stuff. I've had my last granola bar/beef jerky meal. On my last trip some ladies broke out wine, cheese wheels, and salad with dressing. They ate really well for a backpacking trip.
I could go vegetarian for a few days (although vegan to me is out...getting rid of meat over a weekend I can do, but milk and eggs are so tasty) and not really miss it. I did figure a way to carry and cook a steak, brown some rolls, and rehydrate some corn all in two little backpacking cups, but there is a weight penalty carrying the other pot, so I'll probably just stick with stuff I can put on bagels, granola, and some sort of pasta stuff.

MRE's are just so heavy, even when you take out the extras. My favorite food is breakfast. A little bit of instant grits, alng with a toasted bagel and honey... Makes you not dread getting up and hiking another ten miles.

Yab9

When I backpack I usually take lots of chocolate and granola bars, some canned food (not too much, it's heavy) and a small pot in which I cook instant soup or instant... anything. Candy is a must, I never leave without my sugar supplies.

Last edited:

shaun

You should opt for calorie and nutrient dense foods because they will require less space. Foods I like to carry with me include nuts, dried fruit, beef jerky (homemade), blocks of coconut cream and fermented vegetables.