Eating What Nature Provides

Mary Beth

I was wondering, how many people sample what nature has to offer, foodwise, while camping? I know in this day and age everyone brings hotdogs, canned food, and whatnot when they go camping. I do too, but I also like to enjoy any food I find that grows wild. I have taken a class on identifying some edible foods in the wild. I would love to learn more on this subject.

Lamebeaver

Other than fish, strawberries and raspberries, generally no. Most foraging activities take a lot of time/effort compared to the amount of food/nourishment you get. Most wild plants are somewhat lacking on fat/calories/energy. It's a fun hobby, but not one I would depend on.

FreeWilly

I would only look to do that if I got lost or stranded. Really, there is no point to do it unless you really really want to. I have eaten oranges and mangos right from trees if that counts though. Oranges are really good when they are green.

Fluttershy

Aside from blackberries, I've never done this. I've taken a class on how to identify native edible plants in a pinch, but it's definitely not something I rely on when I'm out in the woods.

CatsEye

I would if I need to. I've eaten several types of berries in particular, blackberries, blueberries and dewberries. Otherwise I usually don't. It's amazing the things you can find though.

Gwen

I am not very familiar with what's edible and what's toxic in nature's bounty in the wilderness so I don't try to eat anything there. I keep safe with what food we brought to the camp.

ejdixon

The only thing that I'd eat is the fish I catch whenever I go fishing during my camping trips. I'm not really that familiar in foraging and worried that I might end up picking the really toxic stuff.

Newanderthal

Fish cooked right on the coals, berries eaten right at the bush, grubs plucked straight from the log, and crickets caught in the grass (those first two are tasty)

ponderosa

Foraging is on my "things I want to learn more about" list. I think it would be a lot of fun to know which plants could become salad, which mushrooms are edible, etc. Someday I'll get around to a book or class on the subject.

Mary Beth

Grandpa, can you really eat cattail stalks? I have never known anyone, who said they have eaten them. That makes me want to research foraging some more. It never hurts to be knowledgable, right?

Grandpa

Yes, I was at a sout leaders training camp (as the backpacking instructor) and the lady with the primitive foods and cooking class had cat tails for us to sample. She was using the fronds for wrapping roasts and vegetables to be buried and pit cooked, and we sampled the stalks, raw. And no, it didn't taste like chicken. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t More like water chestnuts.

Denni2

I used to forage when we camped on private land. I love cattail tubers, and the flower tops. I would add purslane and wild violets to salads. I would still forage if I had no other food, but I look at foraging the same as collecting wild flowers. If everyone picks just for them, eventually there is none for others to enjoy. I hike to enjoy what nature has to give, and I cringe when I see someone picking every wildflower they can find.

ejdixon

Foraging is on my "things I want to learn more about" list. I think it would be a lot of fun to know which plants could become salad, which mushrooms are edible, etc. Someday I'll get around to a book or class on the subject.
Same here, ponderosa.

Since we're on the topic on foraging, can anyone suggest any places where I can learn more about it? Thanks in advance.

Tony

Foraging no but hunting for small animals yes. I'd rather fish or hunt for small animals in order to survive if ever I'm lost. Plants can give you nourishment but not enough energy to move on.

oldsarge

Foraging no but hunting for small animals yes. I'd rather fish or hunt for small animals in order to survive if ever I'm lost. Plants can give you nourishment but not enough energy to move on.
I agree to hunting, but I still would want to learn about foraging. I'd like to keep all my bases covered. You'll never know how long it will be before you eat again and anything you consume can only bennifit you. During a air crew survival course in the jungle, I was eating mainly plants since none of us in our group caught anything while hunting.

thymas

It sounds heroic and impressive to tell people that you've foraged for your food, but I haven't had much success with it. Usually I bring along all of my food to eat in my backpack. But when I'm going up to stay in my uncle's log cabin, we usually go fishing. We'll cut our catches and cook them up fresh that night.

CFlyer

If you can forage, hunt, or fish then you will surely survive in the wild. I have to say that foraging is the hardest for me because I don't know all the edible plants. I guess I need start reading about edible plants to prepare me for future explorations. :)

login

I haven't done this in years but back in my 20's & 30's I'd sometimes pack a .22 take down rifle or have a .22 pistol for bunnies & squirrels. Usually had a handline and some hooks in the emergency kit for fishing.

Nothing sharpens the skills like hunger !

I'd bring some freeze dried MH for back up if I was to attempt this again tho...

dinosaur

troublemaker
If you're going to be hiking anyway, it pays to keep your eyes open. Depending on the time of year, there will be berries and other fruits available, also different nutmeats. You may even find grains. And don't forget the seasonings. Canadian ginger, wild garlic, wild onions, even lemon balm. Wild carrots abound in certain areas. If it looks like a carrot top, dig up the root and smell it. It is a very distinctive smell. It will be white, not orange but will smell like a carrot. It will be tough so you have to slowcook it to tenderize. You can also find wild parsnips.

There are lots of other things like swamp cabbage, wild peanuts, and something called "pomme de terre" or bread (or apple) of the earth, that is like a potato. I'd love to explain it but this post is too long already and you have to know what it looks like to find it anyway.