Homemade MRE's

3ofusnow

I made our first homemade MRE's over the weekend, so of course we had to taste test them and they are really good. I did a beef stew and a vegetable soup so far. Planning to branch out a little further in the near future. I found one lady's website who even has desserts made this way!

hippieP

I would love to know how you prepared them. Right now we have thought of some ideas but the storage of how to wrap/seal them is the biggest issue we face.

Scotty

Good tip. I'll have to try a few of these and see what happens. I think it would be less weight to place them in plastic bags though. I think it would probably taste better than commercial MREs.

twilight

You can use the MREs as part of a home emergency kit. I've been preparing an expanded kit in case of power outages or weather emergencies.

outdoorchick

I have actually recently started doing this as well. We will be canning for the first time this year too. We are just looking for less expensive ways to expand our food storage. Also, its great to have meals ready to go where all you have to do is simmer them on the stove for a few minutes.

oldsarge

One thing about home made MRE's, they just don't have that great Alpolicious flavor like the issue ones do...Mmmmmmmmmm!

southerngal

Hee Hee! That's kind of the point! I like that you can control your sodium content and what not too. Just case it's the end of the world doesn't mean everyone wants to die of high blood pressure. LOL

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I usually keep a case of MREs around. They are almost gone now, and I won't be getting any more. A little too bulky, although some of them taste fairly good. Gonne give the WISE freeze-dried items a try. And, yes, I know that they contain TVP instead of meat...!!

When the chips are down,
the buffalo is empty.

Greatoutdoors

What is TVP? I haven't heard that term before in regards to food or MRE's. I haven't gone so far as to buy a case, but we pick up a few here and there when we are at the sporting goods stores sometimes.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Please note that the TVP I was referring to was in the Wise freeze-dried foods, per the ingredients listed on their web site, not in the MREs.

Also, MREs bought individually are usually more expensive than buying twelve in a case.

When the chips are down,
the bufalo is empty.

eyebp

Senator
Hee Hee! That's kind of the point! I like that you can control your sodium content and what not too. Just case it's the end of the world doesn't mean everyone wants to die of high blood pressure. LOL
Thats the exact reason I started dehydrating my own food. Way to much salt in Mountain House and the like.