Sleeping Time

Tony

What time do you usually sleep when you are camping out? I sleep after midnight because I love star gazing and stars are really bright around midnight.

outdoorsy

Whenever the campfire burns out! We stay awake super late - it's camping! Sometimes even after everyone heads to bed I stay out and just relax and watch the fire.

oldsarge

Nothing better than staying up late after everyone goes off to sleep. Time for a good cigar, some scotch and just stare into the fire.

bsmit212

depends on what type of camping. If I am car camping it is late b/c I am normally up drinking and having a good time. If I am backpacking though, unless lots of people are up hanging out at a shelter, I will normally go down about dark:30ish and get up and moving at sunrise the next day.

KatieMarie

It really all depends on if we are camping with a bunch of others and just stay up talking and such. Sometimes if it is just us, we will just go to bed whenever we are tired.

LindaLou

Most of the time we go to 'bed' at about the same time we would at home. But there are times if we are at a busy campground and things are going on, we will check them out and may stay up later then usual. We just try to enjoy ourselves.

outwest

Whenever I want, its my down time and I am not set to a schedule. I was telling my better half last night (while watching The Walking Dead), if the end of the world came, I would do the same thing I do with time when I am camping.

Joe S.

I usually get so relaxed when I go camping that I tend to go to bed earlier than usual. If I am physically active and getting lots of fresh air, this is especially true---one of the great things about camping.

briansnat

Platnium Member
It depends. It's usually after midnight for me. I enjoy a beer, cigar and perhaps a little Irish whiskey by the fire and usually have a book to read. My wife hits the hay early, usually at 9 or 10 so it's just me, the fire, John Jameson, H. Upmann and my book.

If we've had a tough day of backpacking I may pass out early, around 9 or 10 and if it's the winter I sometimes drift off to sleep as early as 8. Nothing much else to do. Too cold to hang outside, so after dinner I snuggle up in my sleeping bag and read and usually doze off shortly afterward.

Was always an early morning person so early to bed for me.
Me too, but I'm also a night person, so I'm often the last person to bed and the first one up in the morning.

Last edited:

ejdixon

You know what? Now that you mentioned that, I never really paid much attention how early or late I sleep when I'm camping. All that I noticed that I find it a lot easier to fall asleep in the outdoors than I do here at home.

Grandpa

Most of my backpacking days are around 10 miles, which is about 5 hours of hiking. After camp is set up, I take a good nap, then go for an evening stroll which may take another 5 or 6 hours. I seldom carry a watch so I just go to bed when I'm sleepy or when it is convienent.

ppine

Forester
For hunting and fishing trips, usually before 10 pm, sometimes before 8pm if the days are strenuous, and it is early or late in the year with little daylight. The longer I am out (more than 5 days say) the more I get in tune with sunrise and sunset.

For short social trips, really late.

Lorax

Depends on what I did that day, for example: Did I paddle 8 miles? or did I backpack 17?
Other factors are weather, season and venue (many times my backpacking destinations don't have the best night views due to trees and such)
Am I alone or with people? What time does it get dark?

So many factors make for different times, but also many different and new experiences.

Newanderthal

Sleep when tired, eat when hungry, drink when thirsty, and get up when rested.

That's my outdoors schedule.