When Taking Your Dog...

Ted

...on an overnight trip, how much dog food do you take with you if any. My chow has to be on a special diet because of kidney stones so I have to carry his food or he has to spend time in the vet hospital getting stones removed within the month after that. So how much dog food do you take?

2coastcamper

I always take for for him. I take a gallon zip-lock bag and fill it about half full. I have a 50-pound doberman mix, and that's enough for him for one night. Using the zip-lock allows me to stuff his food anywhere in my pack, and it fits nicely.

justontime

I rarely take her with me but when I do I take a large foil pouch of food from the pet store. It is easy pack, easy to open. I also take some of her mixer biscuit in a zip-lock bag.

Sky

Lol. I saw the title and just knew it was going to end with "please take a leash". It seems more often than not, I see owners letting their dogs run all over the place. This not only endangers children but owners of small dogs.

I guess the amount of food we need to take with us, will all differ; depending on the size of the dog and how long we will be gone. But, it is an interesting question.

OutTheBackDoor

We have a 5 pound Chihuahua so we don't have to take much! LOL Plus, we are usually in the camper so we don't have any problem storing it.

2Coast-I would have thought a big dog like that would eat much more. We've always had little ones so I guess my estimations are wayyyyyyy off-LOL!

And BTW-My little female Chihuahua thinks she weighs 100 pounds and stands 8 foot tall. I can't count the number of times I've had to hold her tightly to keep her from getting under a big dog's chin and trying to intimidate them. LOL

Ted

LOL OTBD!

Chihuahuas can be like that!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the info. My chow HAS to have that special food or he gets into big trouble. I also have to watch around other people because they always want to feed him! Of course he doesn't help any with the "doggy eyes" trick all dogs know!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Jane

OTBD, That is so cute. I love to see a little one stand up to the big dogs. Chances are they are so taken aback they cower right down.

2coastcamper

2Coast-I would have thought a big dog like that would eat much more. We've always had little ones so I guess my estimations are wayyyyyyy off-LOL!
Don't worry, so did it! The first few times I took him out, I filled the gallon bag full. He never finished it, so that's when I scaled it back to the half-gallon.

justontime

And BTW-My little female Chihuahua thinks she weighs 100 pounds and stands 8 foot tall. I can't count the number of times I've had to hold her tightly to keep her from getting under a big dog's chin and trying to intimidate them. LOL
We had a rough haired Jack Russell Terrier, she was tiny, but in her head she was a giant, and she would stand up to anything. She was a very good guard dog.

Hikker_Jim

I'm don't like taking my dog with me as she's too old and I don't want to risk her getting hurt. She also eats a hell of a lot and I's probably have to take a huge bag of biscuits with me which would just slow me down.

calanta

No matter what time span I am going for I always end up taking more since I do the same for us and the little ones. Its a habit I guess, but I would rather be prepared for an extra night than not.

Chris

That makes sense, Calanta. You always need to be prepared for anything. And besides, what if someone got hurt and they had to stay until help came. At least they would be comfortable with enough food and water, even for the dog too.

justontime

No matter what time span I am going for I always end up taking more since I do the same for us and the little ones. Its a habit I guess, but I would rather be prepared for an extra night than not.
I do that if I think there is any chance of us getting stuck or delayed, but usually I know that help could reach us quickly if needed, so I don't carry more than necessary.