hyper active kids

hippieP

Lately in the news tons of doctors in our area are handing out a prescription for every hyper kid that comes in the door. Is this common everywhere now? What happened to hyper kids?

CatsEye

I do too. I mean, there are kids that are so hyperactive that they really need some help. Then there are those who, with a bit of guidance, would do fine with some focused activity. I don't like that they have taken a lot of the physical activity out of school and have almost all of it after school. That leaves out a lot of kids who don't have transportation to and from school other than the bus.

wvbreamfisherman

Its a bit of a racket for the schools, since they get extra federal money for "special needs" students. If the schools got paid extra for each redheaded student, you'd be amazed at what counted as a redhead.

Kids don't get a chance to just run around at recess and blow off steam nowadays- every minute of every school day is organized and supervised.

Jumper79

I can tell you for certain that most kids are medicated now. It really is unfortunate that teachers (yes that's usually where it starts) are suggesting to parents that their children (who are children after all) are too active and won't pay attention in class and then the doctors are doping them up so that they aren't children anymore but zombies.

outwest

I get that some kids can be hyperactive to the max and they might need help but most of these kids are just being kids. I know one guy who ends up almost tranqing (sp?) his kid who is barely old enough for kindergarten during the afternoons (gut works from home). The issue I can see from the outside knowing him since he was about 5, they never have the kid on a proper sleep schedule, no naps, nothing.

CozInCowtown

Pills instead of parenting skills.
Generally nothing a little "medicine" to the rear-end wouldn't fix.....and some outside time instead of television to burn off some of that excess energy.
JMO,
DC

Tubby

One of our local schools banned talking during lunch at the elementary school. So my question is, when do the kids get to be kids? Lunch time was one of the highlights of our day. We got to talk to friends and if we got finished with lunch quickly, we went out to play. I remember we used to go out even when it was snowy and had tons of fun lobbing snow balls at everyone. All great fun!

SweetSassyLady

I think it's drug companies trying to make money. There are certainly kids who do need this type of treatment but they are few and far between. If kids were allowed to be kids and run and play, they would be fine. We used to come back from recess so tired, it was all the teacher could do to keep us awake!

scarlett

If you have never had experience living with a child who suffers from ADD/ADHD, you shouldn't judge others who do. You wouldn't tell the parents of a child with autism that all they need is a good spanking. My child has ADD...you have no idea the turmoil that is ripping these families apart, and the heart break of seeing your child not have friends and not do well because they can't control themselves. It is painful. I know.

ppine

Forester
When we were kids we ran around all the time playing sports. If we were on a trip and got too lively in the backseat of the '57 Mercury, Dad would pull the car over and say "Get out and run until you can stay calm" We used to run on the shoulder of the road, on dirt roads, and in parking lots- anyplace that was safe. Sometimes we would run for 30-40 minutes at a time. My brother and I used to waterski for a 1/2 on two skis out in the main shipping channel on Chesapeake Bay. Kids today sit around and take medication.

ejdixon

Its a bit of a racket for the schools, since they get extra federal money for "special needs" students. If the schools got paid extra for each redheaded student, you'd be amazed at what counted as a redhead.

Kids don't get a chance to just run around at recess and blow off steam nowadays- every minute of every school day is organized and supervised.
I actually watched a documentary about that a couple of weeks back. I actually found it quite alarming. Apparently, not all of the kids that are being put in medication really need them. Some just need to be disciplined, and sadly, not many teachers (according to the documentary) seem to be willing to take the time to do so. To expect all 5 or 6 year olds to sit still like a stick in their chair and not make a noise seems impossible. Kids will be kids, and that includes a bit of hyperactivity at some point in time.

firedancer

If you have never had experience living with a child who suffers from ADD/ADHD, you shouldn't judge others who do. You wouldn't tell the parents of a child with autism that all they need is a good spanking. My child has ADD...you have no idea the turmoil that is ripping these families apart, and the heart break of seeing your child not have friends and not do well because they can't control themselves. It is painful. I know.
I don't think anyone was saying it's all fake or they all need a good spanking, but you can't deny there is a definite increase in these diagnoses and prescriptions, not all of which may be warranted.

Needadventure

One of our local schools banned talking during lunch at the elementary school. So my question is, when do the kids get to be kids? Lunch time was one of the highlights of our day. We got to talk to friends and if we got finished with lunch quickly, we went out to play. I remember we used to go out even when it was snowy and had tons of fun lobbing snow balls at everyone. All great fun!
What??? None of the parents complained or anything? Some kids are legitimately ADD/ADHD and need some help, but a large portion of the kids just need to go out and play!

Lamebeaver

There are numerous reasons for this, and there's no easy solution.

Culture? Environment? Diet?

A little pill is a quick fix.

Somewhat over-simplified, but entire books have been written on the subject.