Beach camping know hows

Lovefall

We did it – planned a beach vacation for next April (Florida). We are going to camp on the beach for a couple of nights. I’ve camped many places but never on a beach. What do we need to take with us that is different than camping in the woods? The kids are so excited!

HikerJoe

Giant umbrella, metal detector, Surfin Safari by the Beach Boys and lots of alcohol because it is a good sun repellant.

scarlett

I have always wanted to try beach camping! I see people doing it on commercials and in pictures and it looks so beautiful! I wouldn't even know where to go to be able to camp right on the sand!

Judy Ann

Deet, screw in the ground stakes in case of severe wind or tropical storms, hats, sunscreen and extra water. Some consideration should be taken to allow for shade whether you take a tarp (you may not have trees to hang it from). I keep a sportbrella in the car for all trips as it comes in handy in the rain too. Aloe vera for burns. I put a rug inside the tent to shake out the sand and always take off shoes before going in. I always take fans (O2cool has a good battery/electric one).

I cook a lot of fresh seafood when camping on the coast which requires a few items not normally in the chuck box. Keep food in your vehicle since raccoons are pretty savvy on how to get to all the goodies you bring.

Beach camping is one of my favorite things to do. If there are trees, don't forget the hammock! Have fun!

firedancer

If you are fussy about a clean tent, a little broom or extra towels lying around will help, but you'll still have sand in everything when you get home. I usually have a good layer of sand in my trunk once I've unpacked everything at home.

ejdixon

Judy pretty much said everything. I'd suggest to also water the sand surrounding your tent. It will help prevent it from flying and going into your tent.

Lorax

Just find a few 2-3 ft long sticks to deadman out to with your guy lines for a tent that is not free standing or your fly in case of wet weather.
I camp out on the shores of northern Lake Michigan frequently.

calanta

That sounds warm & toasty which is the complete opposite of the weather I have been dealing with today. This morning it was nothing but rain and wind, now its just dead cold. A warm beach would be lovely!

Gus

Tent Camper
Check the tides! LOL.
sure you laugh, but is it because you saw beach campers that didn't?

I did, and I'm glad it was a couple young guys, because I would have felt really bad for laughing so hard at their antics if it had been older folks, or a family.

the noise these two made, about 4am, when the waves actually lapped into their entrance woke us up, but rather than being annoyed, we felt like should pay for admission to the show.

Good advice - check the tides - LOL

Gus

Lorax

An extra tarp setup is always a good idea to get some shade instead of retreating to the tent in the hottest part of the day.

ppine

Forester
In Nevada it is sandy a lot of the time. It just takes a little more care with bedding, and anything mechanical, blow out the sand before putting fittings together, etc.

When I was young, we surfed at Ocean City, MD. People who lived at the beach kept a plastic dishpan with water in it by each door, and dipped their feet before entering the house. It would work for camping too.