Honesty on the Internet?

ppine

Forester
Recently I have turned to Facebook to try and stay in touch with my niece and nephew. They are about 14 and 19. I have been absolutely amazed that young people apparently now make up most of what is on their sites. They describe themselves as being married when they are not, working for the CIA or underwater bikins inspectors.

This brings up a much larger question for members of the forum. Do people tell the truth? How much do they exaggerate their own experiences to sound convincing? Please give your opinion about the level of honesty on the internet in general and the forum in particular.

Judy Ann

This brings up a much larger question for members of the forum. Do people tell the truth? How much do they exaggerate their own experiences to sound convincing? Please give your opinion about the level of honesty on the internet in general and the forum in particular.
Ppine, I don't have the time to concern myself with other peoples honesty online. It is difficult enough to figure out if someone is spoofing you face to face. There are enough experts around here that someone will likely get called out sooner or later if they are full of BS on a topic. If I have something that I want to know, I know who to pay attention to. Others are just here to make us laugh and are good entertainment at the end of a long day.

This is the internet. You can be anyone you want to be here. I doubt if too many people care. My feelings are why go to all that trouble of having to remember your alter ego?

JMHO

Grandpa

In OBC, I think we have had a few who were "creative" and they didn't last long, most notably, the guy who had just finished the entire AT last April. For the most part, it is pretty easy to tell who is talking more wishful thinking than actual doing and the forum members go pretty easy on them. I have also observed some who have skill levels way beyond what they are "advertising", at least on early impressions.

ppine

Forester
grandpa,

I really like your assessment of OBC. You are the first person I noticed to have credibility by the nature of your responses.

For those people that do not have time to think about this topic, you do not need to respond.

Lorax

I don't know about the whole internet in general, but on two backpacking and one paddling forum, I've had the pleasure of meeting well over 100 people on the trail or on my way through somewhere. I can honestly say that with the exception of two times, it was an awesome experience.
I have made lifelong friends with some and have been out in the wilderness on many repeat trips with many.

Lovefall

I think that people can be who they want to be online - it's a break from their real lives. I don't go on facebook often because of just that. I do think that most people on forums (like this one) are honest. You come to chat about the things that you are interested in.

oldsarge

For the most part, I really don't give it much thought. When I first visited OBC I immediately picked up on a few individuals who seemed to have an awful lot to say. In a short time and some reading, I've come to realize that there is a world of information in this forum. First time users may be taken back by some of the info shared, but if you keep reading and asking questions, you'll see by those responses the truth that's within. That's why I like it here, for the most part I feel those who share their experiences are honest. We are not all Rhodes Scholars or World Adventurers, but there are some here with exceptional backgrounds and experiences. The best part of it all, no matter who I receive an answer to one of my posts, it's another quality point of view I feel should be shared. Thanks to all, for your input in these forums!

Judy Ann

On OBC everyone shares a love for the outdoors and their various hobbies and sports. I have always been impressed with the quality of the responses to threads here. The good folks here taught me how to take off car camping and day hiking while keeping me from killing myself and most importantly keeping my elderly parents from worrying about me excessively when out on my adventures.

As you may already know it takes patience and a good deal of time for some of our expert outdoorspeople to read and respond to threads and they give generously of their time and experiences with thoughtful responses. This site differs from a site like eHarmony in that no one is selling themselves, so that is why I never considered whether they were fabricating an existence oher than what I might have read. I have been grateful for everyones stories and advice. You never know when the information might come in handy.

For the record I joined facebook to keep up with my teenage neice and nephew too and my neice has been married to one of her girl friends from school for many years now. My nephew and his gf need to quit telling each other how much they love each other on their walls! They are juniors in high school and should have learned about keeping it a little more private IMO! :) The spy thing must have a great allure for both of these kids unless they think that is what their dad is. He has a job that he can't discuss.

The cultural diversity is impressive here. Many differences exist across this nation and surface in responses from time to time in the threads and I find this particularly interesting. More people should post pictures to their albums. If I could paint there is a wealth of beautiful country posted that would be fun to use for inspiration! If I were independently wealthy I have a long list of people and places that I would like to visit in the next few months. These folks have enriched my life immensely and for that I am very grateful.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I can honestly type that everything I have ever said on here is true.
And we are all so very grateful that a man of such unimpeachable character has graced us with his wisdom.

I think Joe should run for public office. I'd vote for him. He gives me hope.

IndianaHiker

All the stuff on my Facebook and on this form and others is true. I really don't have a reason to make others feel that my life is more exciting then it really is. Not that it is really that exciting.

No I am not a world traveler and most of my backpacking has been done in two states. Indiana and Kentucky. I do feel that mine and others who give advise based on the experiences that they have had are just as valid as someone that has done epic trips. In fact in some cases maybe even more so. I have some friends that have done trips to really cool location but that one really cool trip that they do is the only on that they do all year. I would rather her from those that get a lot of bag nights and their ideas on gear than some one that logs 3-7 nights a year with a guide or a group.

SpencerT

There is a mix of honesty and lies all over the place, not just the internet. You get to be anyone you want on the internet. There is even a country song about this. I think forums like this one, you might not find as many liars, because it's usually a bunch of strangers coming together to talk about what they like, so there isn't any reason to lie or impress anyone.

charley

Did I ever tell ya about my hike in the Arkansas jungles where I had to fight off the bears for the berries just to survive after loosing my pack in the flood when the dam broke during the earthquake. Really.

oldsarge

Did I ever tell ya about my hike in the Arkansas jungles where I had to fight off the bears for the berries just to survive after loosing my pack in the flood when the dam broke during the earthquake. Really.
I remember that...it was right after I was returned to earth by my abductors!