Honesty on the Internet?

DylanT

I caught a fish and it was THIS------------------------------------------big!!!

Sorry.

Couldn't resist.

carmen

People do indeed lie on the web and its really nothing new. Some people tell little white lies and others are hypocritical liars that could give you a run for your money if they scam you online. This is why I take everything I read with a grain of salt.

ejdixon

Have to agree with you on that one, carmen. Although you got to hand it to some of these people on how wild their imagination can run.

ppine

Forester
Can we agree that on this forum, if someone makes an outrageous claim, they can be called on it? On another forum some guy says he has run 2,000 miles of Class VI rapids. I invited him to tell us more about his adventures. He slinked away and was not heard from for a long time.

ppine

Forester
TDale,

Then what is the point of saying anything?

Are you in the same age group as my niece, say 20 yo?

Judy Ann

TDale,

Then what is the point of saying anything?

Are you in the same age group as my niece, say 20 yo?
He's part of a group that joined OBC a while back when their forum crashed and they brought a bit of levity to an otherwise pretty serious forum. We not only will call out someone for telling an outstanding exageration of a story, but for remarks that are unnecessarily harsh or even RUDE.

SpencerT

That's one thing that cracks me up is when you see people arguing and making threats and you just know both are lying through their butt about who they are and what they can do. I don't get fighting with strangers on the internet. Being tough on the internet is overrated. Or maybe I'm just lying and I love a good internet war. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Lamebeaver

People who spend all their time on Facebook, etc. don't actually have real lives, so they need to make stuff up. it's kind of sad when people actually prefer their online life to their real one, but hey, live and let pretend to live.

Plus it's hard to inspect bikinis under water. A nice set of high-power binoculars works much better.....

Grandpa

Okay okay, I admit it. I am an internet liar. On another thread I said an item cost a $1.00. After I submitted the post, I went in and checked one of these and the price tag said it cost $1.99. So sorry folks, I'll try to repent and be more accurate.

Then again, maybe a wise shopper could find one in a dollar store for just a dollar. Does that help reduce my penance?

Last edited:

oldsarge

Okay okay, I admit it. I am an internet liar. On another thread I said an item cost a $1.00. After I submitted the post, I went in and checked one of these and the price tag said it cost $1.99. So sorry folks, I'll try to repent and be more accurate.

Then again, maybe a wise shopper could find one in a dollar store for just a dollar. Does that help reduce my penance?
All is forgiven, you are pardoned!

Lamebeaver

You can never trust what I say.
But if we can't trust what you say, and you just said we can't trust you, then that means that we CAN trust everything you say!

Unless you were lying when you said what you said that, in which case we can't trust you when you say we can't trust you, in which case the two negatives cancel out, so we still can trust you.

Glad those boolean algebra classes are finally paying off....

catspa

That same item could probly be shoplifted for free (if one lacked scruples), but then the storekeeper would mark up the remaining ones to regain the loss. So just where is the truth about the item's cost anyway?

I have to ask, what does it matter really? Isn't the Internet primarily a source of entertainment anyway? If somebody says he's the biggest mountain stud ever, and he can light a campfire by rubbing his chin with a rock, I'm gonna believe it and freeze to death when it doesn't work for me? Naw.

Just like in real life, think over the claims and decide for yourself what to believe. That's my advice, truly.

Parker

oldsarge

But if we can't trust what you say, and you just said we can't trust you, then that means that we CAN trust everything you say!

Unless you were lying when you said what you said that, in which case we can't trust you when you say we can't trust you, in which case the two negatives cancel out, so we still can trust you.

Glad those boolean algebra classes are finally paying off....
How about we all just ignore him from now on!

Grandpa

I have to ask, what does it matter really? Isn't the Internet primarily a source of entertainment anyway? If somebody says he's the biggest mountain stud ever, and he can light a campfire by rubbing his chin with a rock, I'm gonna believe it and freeze to death when it doesn't work for me? Naw.

Just like in real life, think over the claims and decide for yourself what to believe. That's my advice, truly.

Parker
Thanks Parker Cat, you just made my day, still chuckleing over that one.

ppine

Forester
I must be out of step with the crowd here. Nature is my religion. Being outside is the main thing I have cared about my whole life. It has been my vocation and source of recreation. It is a serious topic.

HikerJoe

Honesty is overrated. It's more fun to lie and make stuff up. Like that one time I told everyone I was dying from scurvy and they gave me a bunch of money. I bought a bunch of alcohol with it.

wvbreamfisherman

Well, mix it with orange juice and you've dealt with the scurvy, too!

Ppine- I generally take after the immortal Ronald Reagan- "Trust, but verify". I give people the benefit of the doubt, but only once. ;-)

oldsarge

Honesty is overrated. It's more fun to lie and make stuff up. Like that one time I told everyone I was dying from scurvy and they gave me a bunch of money. I bought a bunch of alcohol with it.
I beleive it!

Lamebeaver

Don't let Joe kid you. He looks just like Brad Pitt under that bag.

He's telling the truth about the alcohol though. He actually shared some of it with me. Good stuff!