Can, Powdered or Regular Milk?

CampingFamily

Which do you like to bring along when you are going camping for a few days? We prefer to bring Regular along when we have the room.

ponderosa

Car camping, we always bring a gallon of milk. Backpacking, we carry powdered milk for cooking and just go without drinking milk until we're back to civilization. I have friends who drink powdered milk on backpacking trips, but I can't do it.

OldSole

Me either, ponderosa. I can't stand to drink powdered reconstituted milk. I don't mind cooking with it, but drinking it is just out of the question for me. I will even cook with it at home if we happen to run out for some reason.

FreeWilly

I've very picky when it comes to drinking milk. I'll only drink 2% and it has to be from a certain store. I just can't stand any other kind of milk. My mother use to get that powdered milk from the government center when we were kids. I hated it.

wvbreamfisherman

Powdered milk isn't all that good to drink- it helps to up the concentration of the powder a bit. In another thread here someone suggested that adding a few drops of vanilla extract makes reconstituted milk more palatable. Never tried it myself, but wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work real well.

Grandpa

Have found that mixing powdered milk and letting it sit overnight in fridge helps some. But nothing like the real stuff.

ponderosa

Nido and Milkman are generally regarded among backpackers as the tastiest. I know people who claim they can barely tell the difference between these brands and fresh milk. They aren't nonfat, which apparently makes them taste better than the other options. I still can't drink it straight, although I can tolerate it on oatmeal or other hot cereal.

Gabbie

I'm not a big milk drinker myself but I do like to keep the powdered milk around for cooking with. It last a lot longer the regular milk and comes in handy a lot of times when you don't have milk on hand.

ejdixon

I tried bringing some regular milk along with me during one of my camping trips. It was spoilt by afternoon, even if I placed it in a cooler with ice. Been bringing powdered milk ever since. The only exception is whenever I go camping with my folks. They go camping with a trailer with a fridge where I can keep it during the entire trip.

Lamebeaver

Powered. I agree that the whole powered milk tastes much better, but I don't normally drink milk backpacking, just use it to cook with and add to cereal.

Now if they could just perfect powered beer........

ppine

Forester
Any form of milk is better than no milk. Powdered is good for cold weather because it won't freeze like cans. I saw an ad for a donkey outfitter in the Warner Mtns of No CA, for a small extra charge he will bring a lactating goat to supply fresh milk on week long trips. Goat's milk is tasty and easy to digest. Anyone else like it?

ponderosa

I always keep powdered milk around the kitchen to cook with. Fresh milk goes bad too fast.

I grocery shopped last night for the next two weeks, and bought the usual nine gallons of milk. We won't waste a single drop! I don't think we've ever had milk go bad at this house. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Grandpa

Grandma always makes me check the expiration date on the milk. With grandson here, a gallon a day. We have an apartment fridge in the basement to hold 7-8 gal of milk. We never have one go bad either.