Do You Tell Scary Stories Around The Campfire

DMan

When we were kids, my dad would tell us scary stories before sending us off to bed in the tent. Now my wife and I have kept up the tradition with our kids and it's even more fun to see their reaction after knowing what we went through. Do any of you do that? Got any good stories to share? I'm looking for some new ones for next summer.

StillLikeToCamp

I don't have any stories to share but we do like to tell some ghost stories when sitting around the campfire. We even do that when we make a small campfire in our back yard. :) The kids get a big thrill out of it.

ejdixon

Back in college, especially when there were girls joining us camping. It's a good excuse for them to cuddle up.

Otto

ejdixon, you are so naughty. I think ghost story is not terrible, terrible is our imagination. LOL

den's wife

We sit around the campfire and toast marshmallows and then we create our own scary story as a family. As we go around the fire each of us has to add to the story. It gets quite funny as everyone tries to outdo the rest of the family.

ejdixon

Hahaha!!! Those were the days, Otto. :D But you're right. We did that once and my bestfriend's gf freaked out too much that she refused to talk to him for a week.

CampingFamily

We do that a lot. The kids get a kick out of it. We let them make up some and they can get pretty imaginative, let me tell you!

campclose

We did the same growing up. We do tell stories around the campfire but we all take turns. One person starts and then next goes and we just keep taking turns until it's done. Sometimes the kids make it less scary but then it's our turn and we tend to make it scary again.

Lorax

Sometimes, when the moon and clouds are just right. When there's a little hint of chill in the air, maybe some cool fog starting to roll in off the water and we're all gathered around the campfire.
If conversation has died down enough to talk serious and hear tales that could make the hairs jump out of a man's hide.....I'll lean in real close while the others look across the fire at me, the orange and yellow glow making ghastly reflections off of my dead serious face.....my voice already almost shaky and low with grave purpose.....and I'll tell them about what it was like living with my ex-wife.

ejdixon

Sometimes, when the moon and clouds are just right. When there's a little hint of chill in the air, maybe some cool fog starting to roll in off the water and we're all gathered around the campfire.
That's definitely a great time for scary stories. Even if the story itself is not that scary, the atmosphere and the surrounding can lend a big helping hand.

Grandpa

Telling stories is too sedentary. We snipe hunt.
Since we have so many snipe around here and the kids see them and know what they are, we have had to change the snipe hunts to grouse hunts. The kids say they don't want those skinny long beaked birds.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

When a boy scout, we took a couple of new kids up the trail to catch snipe. While we were wading through swamps and briar bushes getting back to camp, a leader came along, saw our boys and chewed them out for not having a snipe license. They beat us back to camp by a half hour. It was still worth it though because the next day they were both in the trading post trying to buy a snipe license.

ppine

Forester
We tell lots of scary stories around the campfire, and they are all true.

Well mostly true. The older we get the better we were.

Last edited:

Judy Ann

Most of my camping has been alone and evenings around the campfire are relaxing and fun. When my imagination gets the best of me I go to bed and gather all my "survival stuff" close, the old dog even closer and say a prayer that the bears and mountain lions will let me get a good night sleep. If I'm awake in another half hour I throw a few more logs on the fire and reach for my emergency mini-bottle of scotch and proceed to talk to the trees. If anyone is close enoug to hear me they will think I'm too crazy to mess with and leave me alone! I sleep better in my tent than at home!!! ;-)

Gus

Tent Camper
campfire stories are the icing on the cake, and I love being the story teller. I used to be the main attraction at Scout camps. I have even been known to do a little "rigging" before story time. Like running baler's twine under the leaves to a bush or piece of deadfall somewhere behind where the kids would be sitting.

The twine couldn't be seen after dark, and a strategic tug at the right times really brings home the story.

Gus

Pathfinder1

If conversation has died down enough to talk serious and hear tales that could make the hairs jump out of a man's hide.....I'll lean in real close while the others look across the fire at me, the orange and yellow glow making ghastly reflections off of my dead serious face.....my voice already almost shaky and low with grave purpose.....and I'll tell them about what it was like living with my ex-wife.

Thanks for my evening chuckle...!!