Has Anyone Ever Camped On The Beach?

Walking Man

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever camped on an ocean beach before? I never have but I've always wanted to. Listening to the waves splash up and watching the moon over the ocean has to be beautiful. Maybe this is that romance thing my wife is always talking about:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Archer

I've done it before - fell asleep in no time with the sound of the waves! The stakes that came with our tent weren't big enough to hold the tent in the sand with all the wind there was at the time, so we had to search for rocks to hold it down. Just warning you in case you're planning a trip! :)

Campy

I grew up camping on the Outer Banks Of NC.
I loved it and am filled with many fond memories of our Hatteras vacations.
Beach camping can be a lot of hard work but as I sit here and think about our trips I realize it was well worth it.

Jennifer

campgirl

Nope, never. I'm not sure I would do it either. I mean it sounds all wonderful and such, relaxing, listening to the waves. I am not sure it's all that safe. You hear about crimes all the time at night. I'm pretty sure I would be afraid that someone was going to do something to us while we were sleeping.

pixiestick

It was so much fun!!! Unfortunately the place I went you can no longer stay at that beach at night. Anclote Island, FL. It is an island with a sand bar. It was so much fun the trip out was tricky due to the amount of stuff we brought to stay only two nights. It was memorable, so if you can find a place that you like and feel safe its so worth it. Now I really want to go camping on the beach so many memories, you feel like your in your own little village with sleeping tents, the potty tent and and our canopy and fire pit, those were the days.:tinysmile_grin_t:

HikerChick

I guess I've been lucky with beach camping - haven't had a negative experience yet! The beaches where I live are known to be relatively safe, though. It's true that it's a lot of work, but well worth it in the end.

Paige

Mmmmmmm, that sounds wonderful! Although I do have to admit, if you are the only group sleeping on the beach it may be dangerous. I would love to try it though. Is there anywhere on the West Coast where you can stay on the beach?

failghe

I used to growing up on Long Island N.Y. Great way to wake up listening to the waves crash on the beach. We have also camped at Fort DeSoto here in Florida once so far. We had a site on the water bay. No waves though.

Newanderthal

I live 40 minutes from the gulf and go camping there several times a year. The best is on a cold, winter night when the wind is blowing. We'll make a small, oak fire in the sand and the wind keeps it raging. A small fire, double the size of a basketball, will devour logs bigger than my legs in that kind of wind. And if you stand in just the right place so that the smoke is blowing beside you, the heat will wrap around you and keep your whole body warm.

WaterBaby

I definitely have - we actually take a boat to secluded beaches that are hard to get to by land, to make it safer. We bring along wakeboards, tubes, and waterskis and just enjoy having the whole place to ourselves!

oldsarge

I did it in Panama while being stationed there. Nothing better than listening to the water along the coast. Very relaxing with that cool ocean breeze! Even use to camp along the coast in the jungle. Just great!

Sophia

How do you camp on the beach? I guess you can't be that close to the water so the tide doesn't come up and wash you away!

Judy Ann

How do you camp on the beach? I guess you can't be that close to the water so the tide doesn't come up and wash you away!
Good question Sophia. You would pitch your tent above the high tide mark by 10-20 feet while staying away from the dunes. I purchased long corkscrew type stakes to screw into the sand and further secured them by watering down the sand on top of the screws. Best time of year to camp on the beach is right about now in the Carolinas. Hammock camping is another way to go on the other side of the dunes with a noseeum net over you. You can drive your car on the beach in some parts of NC and throw up the tent right next to it. Check the local weather before going. Watch for deer swimming in the ocean if you go in the summer!

hikinboot

I haven't been in years but we did and it was so relaxing to be sleeping with the waves crashing near us, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Yes 'fresh water' but I would love to camp right next to the ocean! You could have placed a net down on the ground with rope off to the side, at dusk when the crabs come out place some food there and BAM instant dinner! Dip them in the ocean to rinse them off, cut them up and you are good to go!