Hiking Shoes?

Johnny

What brand do you trust when it comes to hiking? Last two years I've been wearing Bear Grylls Survivor Shoe. Although it's good I think there is better footwear.

craig

Merrell shoes, probably something with Gore-Tex just in case I'm caught in a rain or a storm. I find their footwear irreplaceable in most of the situations.

Malarkey

Sometimes it's the science of choosing socks and first aid that saves your feet from disaster. I don't care what the brand is, as long as they fit, like Lamebeaver said.

Zelda

I just use what ever tennis shoes I got at Walmart. I have been thinking that I need to get dedicated hiking shoes, but it's hard to squeeze the money in. My son goes through shoes like you would not believe.

Grandpa

If the shoe fits, wear it. I left my hikers home so stopped in Wyoming in walmart and bought a $29 pair that fit surprisingly well. I not only did that backpacking trip but used them on a couple of other hikes before they started coming apart. But if you find a good fitting, better quality pair that treat your feet well, save them for hiking only.

briansnat

Platnium Member
There are a lot of companies that make good, durable hiking boots. Some that come to mind are Merrell, Danner, Rachlie, Asolo, Scarpa, Alcio, Vasque, Salomon, Mammut and Lowa. But the key is to find the one that fits YOUR feet.

I know people who swear by Rachlie boots and years ago I foolishly bought a pair on their recommendation. Well they were living hell on my feet and sit in my closet to this day, barely used. They are great boots, for someone else.

So don't pay much attention to what others say about a certain boot. That boot might not be for you.

Survivo

This can't be decided without a lot of trial and error. Every person has different feet so you do the math. Trial and error, and see what works.

Malarkey

Yes, Vibram soles for all shoes. I won't even buy a good hiking shoe without it because once you try a shoe with it, there's no going back on old, simple models.

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
My problem is shoes tend to be loose on my feet even though they are correct size. My foot is not fat like shoe manufactures tend to think everybody's feet are. Im a skinny guy in a fat persons world. lol

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I got some "keen" hiking shoes in December. I wear them all the time. I couldn't go back to tennis shoes or sneakers now. My wife got some merrels and said the same thing. Very comfortable.

ppine

Forester
New,
People that work outdoors for a living go through Vibram soles in no time. I have replaced many. I worked with a forester that was on his 9th set of soles on his White's logging boots made locally in Spokane, WA.

Newanderthal

New,
People that work outdoors for a living go through Vibram soles in no time. I have replaced many. I worked with a forester that was on his 9th set of soles on his White's logging boots made locally in Spokane, WA.
Wow. Mine are about 9 years old and got about 60 miles of railroad hikes on them in the first few months.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I don't have a lot of choices in my shoe size. I remember one time when I asked the sales guy to show me what they had, and he brought out both pairs...!!

I almost never purchase shoes...or much else, for that matter...by brand name. I get what fits well, and that which appears suitable for the job at hand.

Grandpa

Wow. Mine are about 9 years old and got about 60 miles of railroad hikes on them in the first few months.
It's the granite trails and off trails out here that eat anything you wear. That's why even with horses steel shoes we carry extras and farrier tools.
I realize the east has granite too but in many of the mountains out here the trails are cut and shored up right through large sections of granite scree. Tough on men and horses.