Home Survival

catspa

SG, I hear Rawles has another book out, a friend has promised to loan it to me when he's done reading. I also enjoyed Lucifer's Hammer, by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven, although the main characters benefit more from being lucky than being prepared. I'll have to check out the Forstchen one.

Georgia, I'm no Grandpa but I'd say it's a fact of modern life that cities have exceeded their carrying capacity of humans, and only by the daily maintenance of infrastructure and support services can they be kept livable. Think of New York City and last year's garbage strike, for example. Within a few days many neighborhoods were quickly becoming unbearable to live in. How would things have been if the power, water, and sewer failed at the same time?

So our urban members might decide their present surroundings are not optimum for survival, and make a plan to relocate to a more advantageous place for the duration of certain emergency conditions. Portability, navigation and transport will become very important to them. OTOH, members whose surroundings already contain some basic elements might decide to sit tight and ride out whatever occurs. This "hunker down or bug out?" decision will affect your planning significantly.

It's also worthwhile to think for a minute about what we really need to survive. A healthy human body must have air to breathe, shelter from the elements, clean water to drink, nutritious food to eat, and sleep to recharge the mental and physical batteries. These things are not difficult to obtain for most Americans under normal conditions. But it's not hard to imagine a circumstance in which one or more of these essential elements are in very short supply. That's why we think about putting some aside now, when it's easy to do so.

Each person's available skills and resources are different, so the nuts and bolts of what works for Grandpa might not work for you, but his mindset is useful. Also, he (or I, or any other prudent person) won't go too far into detail about our preparations on the internet - not because we don't like you, but because we can imagine situations where it could be a real problem if some things were known. As an example, in the time leading up to Y2K, my ex-wife and I had enough food set by for 6 months. That food would feed 360 people for one day, if they knew we had it and could take it away. Better they didn't know.

Parker

ChadTower

I would believe that our Firemen, who are also our EMTs, would stick around and be a valuable resource. Sadly, in my immediate area, I would not trust the Police to deliver pizzas. I'd be happy enough if they all bugged out. At least then I know they aren't out hunting and shooting old ladies.

catspa

Chad, during a major disaster an emergency worker is put in a tough spot. There is so much need for his/her skills that working 24hrs straight is not uncommon. Often the chief has to order them to stop, take a meal, and get some rest. But at the same time, worry about their loved ones is a huge distraction, sometimes to the point of affecting performance.

The officials of my county recognize that, and want to take measures to address it. So they encourage them to make prior provision for their family's safety, and make available the communication and logistic tools for the worker to assure themself their family is alright. I think it's a good idea, and contributes to morale.

Being without a family, I wouldn't mind picking up the slack for my team member who needed to call and check on theirs.

Parker

ChadTower

I appreciate your loyalty but this is an example of the Police in my area and what they consider acceptable training levels.

And don't get me wrong. I donate to all of our local Police fundraising efforts. I respect them. I appreciate them. But there have been too many local failures of protocol, safety, and basic common sense in their ranks lately. I would rather fend for my family myself than have them wandering around with weapons during a crisis.

Last edited:

catspa

You sure don't want them wandering around taking guns away from citizens in a crisis, like they did during Katrina. But that was New Orleans, where the PD has a long history of corruption. I don't see that happening here.

Parker

Judy Ann

Thanks all for your survival discussions, book and link suggestions, and for caring enough to increase awareness and posting survival issues in your regions. I spend December and January using stocked goods and evaluating nutritional needs. I consistently have expired flour, so I plan to purchase wheat to grind as it is needed because of the extended shelf life. I think that this will be the year that I learn to make my own freezer bag meals and learn to dehydrate fruits and vegetables. I envy those of you with root cellars! So much to learn and too little time.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Survival is an every day thing. We only think of it when there is a disaster of biblical proportion like a hurricane or a tornado or a volcanic eruption/

Most emergencies are those that are slow to come like an economic disaster. I just talked to a guy who had just moved into his barn because the rent on his apartment got to be too much of a burden. It took two years.

Most don't realize that it's coming until it is too late. I certainly hope you're all OK.

But every day quickens the descent.

catspa

Parts of Argentina for the last 10(?) years are an interesting study in gradual economic collapse.

I do think there are some entities at the top of our economy, milking the value out of it like never before, and it's getting more stratified. I can't see a way to change that, but so far I've been pretty good at getting out of the way...

Parker

Pathfinder1

In the aftermath of Katrina I was dismayed to read about lawsuits against medical and hospital staff because they could not keep all of the patients alive. Imagine manually bagging a patient when the generators failed and the ventilators stopped.

Hi...An interesting point about Katrina and places with generators that would not function very long.

When flood waters reach a structure, where does the water go first? Into the basement, of course.

Where did those hospitals keep their emergency generators? Why, in the basement, of course...!!

southerngal

Survival is an every day thing. We only think of it when there is a disaster of biblical proportion like a hurricane or a tornado or a volcanic eruption/

Most emergencies are those that are slow to come like an economic disaster. I just talked to a guy who had just moved into his barn because the rent on his apartment got to be too much of a burden. It took two years.

Most don't realize that it's coming until it is too late. I certainly hope you're all OK.

But every day quickens the descent.

You are absolutely right, and so many people expect the government to come and take care of them. Just supposing there IS a complete economic collapse who exactly is it that they think will come to the rescue? We have been trying for years to learn more "survival" skills. They are no longer for survival...they are how we choose to live our lives, and what we are teaching our children.

Catspa: I hadn't heard about another Rawles book I will have to look for it! I will check out the one you recommended too. :)

ChadTower

Here the most likely immediate disaster is a blizzard. First priority, in the blizzard, is heating the home. Sadly most houses here are not designed to heat without electricity in one form or another. My house is like that. There is just no reasonable way to put in a wood stove. Believe me, I've tried. My furnace is oil fired but still the controls and blower are electric. That is really my biggest hole in terms of emergency preparedness.

catspa

That is really my biggest hole in terms of emergency preparedness.
Chad, can you obtain a generator and power it yourself?

I have grouped my essential electric load onto one circuit that I can power with my small (by most people's standards) generator. I run it an hour in the morning and an hour at night to conserve fuel, and do things that need electricity during that time (so if you see a whole bunch of my posts at 0700 and another cluster at 1900, my power is probly out).

I'm not heating with it though, got a woodstove for that. Mostly it keeps my freezers from thawing.

Parker

LeadOperator

I went through this thread twice...there's a lot of different opinions in here about a very touchy subject.
If y'all don't mind, I'd like to throw in my 2 cents worth.
I'll be a "hunker down" type if the Big Shoe ever drops (whichever shoe that is). I live in the country a few miles from a small town. We live on a dead end road...one way in, one way out. I have some good neighbors, and a few not so good.
I WILL NOT be counting on any of them.
I'm sure they're good people, and I'll help in any way that I can, but push comes to shove, they are not family or "blood". When you are faced with a "me or thee" situation..."me" will win out every time. Sorry...just the way it is.
Now. That's not to say that I will go out of my way to hunt people down. But I will protect me and mine. By whatever means required.
As far as basic supplies on hand...we have a few months of food put away, not near enough in my opinion. We have a lot of water put up and several ways to aquire more. We don't have an infinite supply.
I try to keep some medical supplies on hand, including prescription meds. Wife and I both take certain meds that will be an issue (me more than her) if the grid goes down for more than 3 months.
We've stocked up on TP, soap, cleaners, and various other hygiene items.
We have an RV with a generator, but it will only be good as long as the fuel holds out.
Are firearms a neccessity? Absolutely, but no more than any other tool in my tool box.
There would be opportunities to gather game from nearby, until its all been hunted out. And it would be. All resources are eventually finite, although many folks don't believe that. There's just too many woodsy ol' boys in my area.
That being said, a weapon will be neccessary for defending the homestead, bad as I hate to say it. I have a feeling that if it all falls apart, and I mean ALL, it will be quite some time before society regains it foothold.
There won't be much, if ANY help from a government agency (take your pick which one...and think Katrina). We will be on our own for a while, I'm afraid.
I believe that my main responsibility will be to protect my family, teach them what they will need to know if anything happens to me, and try to maintain a homestead in such a manner that they would be able to weather the storm even if I weren't there.