Knives

Bear Warrior

When I go out in the field I carry my KA-Bar Army knife that I had from my Army days way back in the 70s and a Rat 3 plus my Gerber multi tool that I carry in a cargo pocket. I have never had any problems with any of these knives. They have always pulled through for me.

Bear Warrior

When I go out in the field I carry my KA-Bar Army knife that I had from my Army days way back in the 70s and a Rat 3 plus my Gerber multi tool that I carry in a cargo pocket. I have never had any problems with any of these knives. They have always pulled through for me.

Michael

The Mora is better suited for carving and finer work but lacks the full tang. As tough and versatile as it is, it will never rise above second knife.
Mine's got a 3/4 tang. My brother found a site where they x-rayed a bunch of Moras, and mine happened to be one of them.

I beat the crap out of mine. I've used it to split wood, chop away branches and similar things. I've done everything but hammer it with a rock. It's still in the same shape as when I got it.

I have a friend who has hammered one into a tree and stood on it. He's about 6'4" and heavyset, so he's not a slip of a lad. It held his weight without a problem.

Anyway.

I recently picked up a Kershaw Zing. It's definitely an everyday carry knife, not a heavy duty survival item. It's got a sleek profile, so it's comfortable clipped to a pocket. The clip has three spots where you can attach it. The steel in the blade takes a scary-sharp edge and holds it well; the metal is so hard it actually takes extra effort to sharpen it.

My CRKT has started showing signs of age, so the Kershaw has replaced it in the folding knife department.

oldsarge

I agree with carrying more than one knife. When I was in Panama teaching jungle survival we experimented with many types of knives. We came up with the conclusion that one knife won't fit the bill depending on how long you will be required to survive. I believe those hollow handle "Rambo" knives gives you a false sense of security. Toting around one of those looks good but fails miserably in the field. I have tried several of these knives throughout the years, even the original "Rambo" knife by Jim Lile and now own none of them. The Jim Lile knife was a good quality knife but didn't work for me. If I had to own a hollow handle knife it would be a Chris Reeves design. They are machined from a solid billet of steel. Great knives and well made. I see more than enough cheap knives out there. Once had one of my troops buy a Frost Cutlery knife just to have it snap the first time he used it. One of the biggest points I tried to teach folks about knives, is the proper way to use them. even the small knives can be used to do big jobs. It kills me to see someone abuse a knife. When I first joined the Army I went to Panama and was assigned to an infantry squad. One day we were all gathered around in a small circle in the jungle and my Squad leader asked to use my K-bar, which I always kept well maintained. I gave him the knife and he starts using it edge down to clear rocks from the ground. I freaked out! I grabbed it while saying "What the F.... you doing", this went over like a turd in a punch bowl. I was written up for disrespect to an NCO. Luckily my platoon sergeant was a knife lover also and backed me up telling my squad leader to buy his own knife. He did...guess who ended up being the one to keep it sharp!

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

oldsarge;I gave him the knife and he starts using it edge down to clear rocks from the ground. I freaked out! I grabbed it while saying "What the F.... you doing" said:
Good for you, oldsarge. You gotta do what you gotta do.

It was under quite different circumstances, but, as a "mere" E3 at the time, I put an officer on report. Almost unheard of...but you gotta do what you gotta do...!!

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I once had a U.S. Military surplus bolo knife with sheath. I'm quite sure it was stainless, was fairly thick and heavy, and the blade was quite wide, but less than foot long. It and/or the sheath were marked U.S. Medical Corp, or something similar. Does anybody have any idea why a Medic or Corpsman would need one of these?

oldsarge

Hi...

I once had a U.S. Military surplus bolo knife with sheath. I'm quite sure it was stainless, was fairly thick and heavy, and the blade was quite wide, but less than foot long. It and/or the sheath were marked U.S. Medical Corp, or something similar. Does anybody have any idea why a Medic or Corpsman would need one of these?
Maybe this will answer some of your questions.

Marine Corps Cane Machete? - Knifeforums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the Knife Enthusiast - Powered by FusionBB