San Antonio's Riverwalk

hippieP

Has anyone been before? A friend suggested I check it out but everything I pulled up online is talking more about river boats and random amusement park type attractions, not a trekking trail.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Has anyone been before? A friend suggested I check it out but everything I pulled up online is talking more about river boats and random amusement park type attractions, not a trekking trail.
It has been years since I was through San Antonio but it is a city attraction with bookshops, coffee shops and touristy junk shops that sell t-shirts and mugs. River boat rides run up and down the canal type setting and some even serve meals. It is not rucksack adventure but a sort of running park through town.

firedancer

It is definitely not a trekking trail! If you're in the area, it's worth a stop - as ghostdog mentioned, it's a tourist area - restaurants, bars and shops along the river in San Antonio. Think French Quarter on a river in Texas.

ejdixon

It's a nice tourist area. Lots of restaurants, romantic boat rides, hip clubs. But it's definitely not a trekking trail. Don't know if there are even any nearby.

ktc

Where to tent camp near San antonio

My wife ,4 little boys and I are planning a trip to San Antonio. Need a good but affordable place to tent camp in the area. My wife must have clean showers available to agree to tent camp.

DMan

Hey maybe your wife will compromise if you tell her you'll take her hiking on the River Walk if she doesn't complain about where you end up camping. Seriously though, I know there is camping available around that area, but it's been a number of years since we were there so I forget exactly where. But camping areas near larger centers are modern and generally well equipped.

sfm809

It's definitely NOT for trekking..also doesn't really have amusement park-type attractions either. Just restaurants and shopping. I personally am not a big fan, but then again I guess I've never had a genuine riverwalk expereince with anyone from SA, so I might not know about the best parts. To me, it was like a mall with a river running though it. Not impressed. Not worth the drive. Nothing to do really (unless you like shopping).. my personal opinion:)

ejdixon

My wife ,4 little boys and I are planning a trip to San Antonio. Need a good but affordable place to tent camp in the area. My wife must have clean showers available to agree to tent camp.
You can try checking out Alamo River. It's an RV campground but they got about 20 tent camping sites, too. Went there with my folks and family for our reunion last year, and it was pretty great. The restrooms and showers here were new and really clean when we stayed here. The downside is that it's quite a distance, but if your wife doesn't mind a bit of a walk going to the restrooms and showers, then this might suit you.

rayne

dinosaur is correct. It's a fantastic place to spend a leisurely afternoon. I was there years ago on a business trip with my new husband and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Even ended up doing a paddle boat ride down the river a short way.

Newanderthal

Last time I was there it was a boardwalk along the river filled with shops and attractions. Not a tracking trail.