Mushroom hunting

Marshmallow

I read the article about people looking for mushrooms getting lost in the "wilderness" and having to be rescued. We ate out last night and have the best mushroom sauce I have ever tasted. Does anyone here hunt for mushrooms? What areas of the country are best?

campclose

I don't hunt for mushrooms! We have a bunch of them growing in our yard in the summer. I'm sure they are not the kind you can eat though. I wonder where the mushrooms you can eat grow?

firedancer

Around here, morel mushrooms are very popular in springtime. They're the only "wild" mushrooms I've ever had.

I thought it was odd that people would be mushroom hunting in winter, but I suppose it's a different climate out there.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

A friend and I used to try finding "bread" mushrooms. They were fun to eat, but not much flavor unless cooked with something.

Several years ago I had an old neighbor from Russia. He used to be a cartographer there (they deliberately never had maps that a tourist...or invader... could believe!).

He would walk the local roadways hunting mushrooms, and find lots of them. I forget what kind they were, but he would have lots of them threaded on wires to dry, like a mushroom clothsline. They smelled wonderful.

wvbreamfisherman

Love Morels, and they are nearly impossible to mistake for a poisonous mushroom. They grow pretty much everywhere there is a forest, but the best patches can be hard to find.

I've hunted them here in WV, and with friends in the North-Central Lower Peninsula (they'd kill be if I gave any more specific directions- I had to swear a blood-oath before they took me to their mushroom hunting grounds).

RogerWilco

WV, that is very non-specific! I am not a fan of mushrooms so I definitely don't go out looking for them. I do know people who do hunt them though.

Marshmallow

Now I really want to go mushroom hunting. We had the best tasting mushroom sauce the other night on a steak in a fine restaurant. Gosh, but it was good. Do you know if mushrooms grow anywhere in the North Carolina areas?

Grandpa

As you drive, look for a corral full of cattle. Go back early in the morning right after a rain. They will just be poking up through the uhhhh dirt.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Around my ranch we get morels, black poppers, elephant ears, puffballs, white buttons, and sheepshead. All delicious.

ppine

Forester
Dinosaur,

Please tell us more about your ranch in Indiana.

A caution to all would be mushroom hunters: make sure you know what you are preparing to eat. Make a mistake and you might not survive. Ask for some help in IDing mushrooms.

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
ppine, my ranch is in Northwestern Indiana near Michigan City. It is a horse ranch of 50 acres about half of which is wooded. It has the highest and lowest ground in the area with variances of about a hundred feet. The timber is mostly Sugar Maple but there is also Elm, Oak, Hickory, Cherry, Tulip, Birch, Sassafras, Aspen, Boxelder, Osage, Willow, Black Locust, Catalpa. and Giant Sumach. Recently I found a Birdseye Maple. I have conifers but only the one's I planted.

The ground is clay but the woods has a thick humous layer and a resultant cornucopia of plants and mushrooms. Of course, the puffballs grow in the field where the horses have been.

joegres

Sometimes I go for mushrooms hunting, because it's fun.. Unfortunately I tend to have bad luck and then I find nearly nothing :(

BGreen

This is all so new to me. I would love to know more about mushrooms, but it's going to have to be added to an ever growing list of things I want to know more about. Life really is too short, isn't it?

JeepThrills

This is all so new to me. I would love to know more about mushrooms, but it's going to have to be added to an ever growing list of things I want to know more about. Life really is too short, isn't it?
Learning about mushrooms is on my "to-do" list too. I was wondering how most people learn to identify them? Are there classes you can take or did you find someone to show you?

dinosaur

troublemaker
I learned from my Dad and my uncles but you can take a course. Your DNR may have something, also the local university or extension center may hold night classes on the outdoors. Of course your best bet is to find some old-timer who's been doing it for half a century or more.