Mobile Satellite Internet

DMan

We hope to start doing more camping for longer in a few years. My wife does a lot of her work on the computer and needs access to the internet. I'm thinking that eventually we'll have to get a mobile satellite internet system for our fifth wheel. Does anyone have any experience with this?

rayne

Man, tell her to take a few days off and just relax. We are so technologically inclined that I feel we need to get back to nature every once in a while and just listen to the birds and relax. Don't you?

Tristan

I see where Rayne is coming from, but you can't always take off the time. Some people will worry so much about not being able to check email or whatever that it ruins their trip. It's simpler to work out a mobile connection. Mccallum is probably right about cell phones with hot spots. If you want to be able to work "anywhere," that might be your best option.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I think the replies missed the point. DMan says she needs it. I would check with RV dealers. I sure they can give you some advice. I'm betting it is becoming more prevalent now with big expensive campers. You're not the first person to try this, I'm sure.
To me "working" and camping are not synonymous, but it may be unavoidable depending on your job. Actually to me camping means a tent.
I have a friend that goes "camping". She has a $150,000 RV with two "push-outs", a kitchen, shower, generator, A/C... How is that camping? That's just a house in the woods.

DMan

We hope to travel/camp more in the future. But since my wife works from home as a freelancer, she needs to be able to access her websites and upload files and send out her digital products regularly. She needs to use her computer for this rather than a cell phone. We'll have to check at the RV dealer when we're more serious. I was just wondering if anyone was currently using a mobile internet service in their camper?

Barney

I find myself taking my cell more often to outings than I would like. I really think I need more time without technology and I'm giving my best to achieve this.

joegres

It depends how long you are planning to stay. For just 1-2 weeks I would say: Skip the internet, it's not necessary to be available all the time. But if you plan to stay for several months it is necessary and there are many possibilities for wireless internet. A cell phone is really the most convenient option!

dinosaur

troublemaker
Theosus said it best. Most here are missing the point. She needs the internet. Some cannot take the time off to forget everything since, in their absence, no one is minding the store. The sole proprietorship is an old and honored form of business. It becomes successful because the service provided instills confidence in its' patrons who know they're being taken care of by that one person.

It can be quite lucrative. Of that, I can attest. I used to have to be in touch all of the time. But it didn't stop me from taking trips. A few hours or less per day is nothing when you get to enjoy the rest of the day in nature. It can even add to the experience. I once made over $8,000 while sitting in a boat fishing for bluegill. Try to imagine what that did for my day.

TroyS

Depends on how many days are you looking at per camping trip. If it's just for a couple of days, I'd go with rayne's reply and just try to convince her to take the time off to unwind and relax. It will actually help her be more productive when she gets back. On the other hand, if you're looking at being on the road for more than a week, then I would suggest to go ahead and get one.

ejdixon

I'd always carry around my Novatel Ovation MC760 Broadband2Go USB modem from Virgin Mobile whenever I go on long camping trips with my family. The prepaid card cost about $20 and gives me about 12 hours worth of web browsing that you can use for 30 days. I admit it's not really as fast as the connection that I get here at home, but still pretty good for me when it comes to checking and sending emails to my boss at work while I'm out camping.

Tristan

I don't have any experience with them, but Wild Blue Satellite Internet Service seems to have decent rates. Obviously, satellite is going to be more expensive, but at least your wife won't have to worry about losing customers.

DMan

Thanks for all the replies. From the looks of things we'll probably have to go with a mobile rocket stick. Until we're on the move for months at a time, the mobile satellite internet looks too expensive.

ppine

Forester
Dino,
Good post. My partner and I are in Palm Springs at the moment with family. We are checking on some clients and a real estate deal. Having this capability allows for longer and longer trips without missing any important communications. It is fun to head out on trips longer than 2 weeks and still be able to get some work done.

ChadTower

Like was mentioned before, best solution is probably a smartphone as a mobile hotspot. Do not dismiss that thinking it is just a phone. It is a full wifi internet connection you can use with your laptop.

kreso93

Just get a mobile internet subscription plan and access Internet from your cellphone. Best thing would be to have a smartphone.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
iPad? Get the 3G version and you can pay for a couple of months, then cut it off. No contract. Not sure where you go and if you'd have coverage. If you really want it, satellite gets you anywhere... I think.

kreso93

iPad? Get the 3G version and you can pay for a couple of months, then cut it off. No contract. Not sure where you go and if you'd have coverage. If you really want it, satellite gets you anywhere... I think.
Or you can use this what Theosus posted. Anyways, if you're not going into Amazonian Rain Forests I don't see why there wouldn't be cellphone coverage.

Grandpa

Or you can use this what Theosus posted. Anyways, if you're not going into Amazonian Rain Forests I don't see why there wouldn't be cellphone coverage.
Once you leave the interstate highways, most of the western US is out of service.