I've never been backpacking but I've always wondered...

Rosie

...Do you bury your poo? Exactly how does that work? What is the poo etiquette when out on the trail? I've never even camped any place without a toilet so I'm completely ignorant on this subject.

Grandpa

Basically, the answer is yes, you bury it. Backpackers usually carry a trowel or some means to dig a "cathole" at least 6" deep, at least 200 feet from any water and from any trail. There are exceptions which will be well posted at trail heads or with backcountry permits. More and more backcountry high traffic areas are getting pit toilets due to so many people using those areas.

FreeWilly

And be careful what kind of leaves you use to wipe your behind. You don't want to end up with problems due to something like poison ivy. :tinysmile_twink_t2: Of course, I'd bring toilet paper with me if I was going because I'm not fond of leaves down there.

Judy Ann

Grandpa, what thread did you post the story about the lady on the trail ahead of you in? That was one off the funniest stories I'd ever read on this topic! : D

briansnat

Platnium Member
If its a campsite that receives regular use, I walk a good distance away and dig a cat hole, making sure I'm also at least 150 feet from water.

If I'm in a location where nobody is likely to be camping or walking anytime soon I don't bother with the hole. I just leave the mound for the bacteria and flies. It's gone in a matter of days. And I burn the TP. Again I make sure I'm nowhere near water.

Gondor

We use a small shovel for this and, I think, it is the best option to do. Make a hole, do your thing, wipe, and then bury it all - clean and simple.

Zelda

I had no idea you should dig a hole! I am glad that I know now. It does make sense that you want to stay away from trails and water sources though.

Greatoutdoors

Digging the hole is just good etiquette so that no one comes along behind you and steps in it. I will never forget reading Grandpa's thread about this topic! :)

Newanderthal

1 Find a fallen log.
2 Look underneath and make sure there isn't a snake.
3 Dig a hole right beside the log
4 drop your trousers and set your butt on the edge of the log just above the hole
5 You can probably figure out what step 5 is...
6 wipe your stinky butt
7 use a stick to knock the dirt back in and stir it a bit to speed up decomposition
8 jab the stick into the hole to mark the spot... don't want to accidentally put your foot there later on

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
...Do you bury your poo? Exactly how does that work? What is the poo etiquette when out on the trail? I've never even camped any place without a toilet so I'm completely ignorant on this subject.
Bring a small shovel. Also keep at least 20yards away from rivers or water sources to prevent contamination. In my group we usually construct a outhouse style of toilet out of fallen branches and twine. When we leave we just cut the twine and fill in the hole and let nature take care of the rest.

Eppo

During my NOLS course in 1974 they taught us the three "P"'s of poop. Privacy, Proximity, and Percolation. Basically, you want a place that is private but not to far from your camp or break location on the trail. Pick a spot where your poop won't percolate into any nearby water sources.

Personally, I like to find a spot where I can squat down in private while holding on to a tree branch for support.