How do you make coffee when you backpack?

Quinn

I love backpacking, but there is one thing I do not like. I love to drink coffee, and I miss it when I am backpacking. Does anyone make coffee when they are backpacking?

Judy Ann

The Starbucks Via with ultra fine ground coffee beans has become my most recent favorite camp coffee.

Lorax

Dump grinds in water and boil. Take off the fire or stove and tap the sides of the pot and let it settle for a few minutes. As long as you pour slow, you'll never get a grind in your cup.

Miley

I was actually wondering the same thing. I might have to check into that MSR cup. Just wondering, what is the cowboy method of making coffee?

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I tried a few different things but ended up using instant. I don't really like the hassle of packing the wet grinds out.

charley

I like my coffee black but when I backpack, I have a mixture that is instant coffee, hot chocolate, instant creamer, and sugar. It does the job, not as good as perked but ok. Light and no hassle.

CozInCowtown

Take a tin coffee pot, dump 4 handfulls of coffee grounds into 2/3 pot of water.
Drop in a horshoe then bring to a boil.
When the horshoe floats to the top the cofee is ready.
Strain grounds through your teeth and start looking for toilet paper and a bush.
I hope this helps,
DC

oldsarge

Take a tin coffee pot, dump 4 handfulls of coffee grounds into 2/3 pot of water.
Drop in a horshoe then bring to a boil.
When the horshoe floats to the top the cofee is ready.
Strain grounds through your teeth and start looking for toilet paper and a bush.
I hope this helps,
DC
Good one! I was told once in the Army to do the same thing with your steel pot and some spent ammo casings. That was the way an infantry NCO made his coffee.

By the way, I just used those prepacked coffee bags.

dinosaur

troublemaker
The cowboy way is to dump some ground coffee beans into a pot of water and bring it to a boil. Set it to the side of the fire so it will stay hot and wait a few minutes. The grounds sink to the bottom and you can safely pour some coffee without getting grounds in the cup unless you are a moron and can't follow simple instructions.

Judy Ann

Hi...

I don't use coffee...might have some cocoa packets with me, though. May not mix with water, either...but "eat" it right from the packet. Still tastes good that way. Real good...!!
I had read about eating the hot cocoa mix straight from the packet and tried it one night. Be careful not to breathe in the powder! ;-(

Fox & Hounds

I've tried a couple of different methods. The press and brew thru filter made passable coffee (instant was just wrong). I found I like the taste of the stuff that comes in teabag form.

ppine

Forester
When you boil coffee in a pot don't forget to add some cold water at the end to settle the grounds. Add a few egg shells if your coffee is too acidic or used for 2 days. That is the first thing a cow camp cookie learns. The second is that a cowboy is nothing more than "an appetite riding a horse." There are still plenty of working cowboys out there in the intermountain West, "you just can't see them from the road."

I outgrew the wagon, and boys let me tell you why.
Your teepee gets like oven at night and your bed ain't never dry."
Ian Tyson

Last edited:

Miley

I thought I was te only weirdo eating cocoa straight from the packet! I really like the crunchy little marshmallows. This actually reminds me of a song I herd on a college radio station. The guy is talking about going to the supermarket. This line refers to Kool Aide, but change the word to cocoa and it is the same thing.

"(You lick your finger, then you stick it in the bag, then your stick it down your throat but not too far or you gag)"

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I've been making little packs of cappuccino with an added spoon of sugar. I use the little drug-dealer sized ziplock bags from the craft section at walmart. I don't do coffee, and even if I did, I can't imagine carrying special pots or material around just to make it.

mccallum

Camping I have uses a red funnel looking thing that sit atop my 32 ooz insulate mug. Boil water in cook pot on stove and pour throu. Add needed polutants and drink; not as good as the brew at home but it is my fix.

I think if backpacking I would go with the instant coffee/creamer/sweetner in a premeasured bag and a cup to heat water.

littlefire

Yep, I use the cowboy method as well. I've never thought to take instant coffee, but I bet that's so much easier. They have some great flavors that get you nice and caffeinated.