Do you ever worry about theft?

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
I usually travel with a small group of 6 and when we leave the camp site area to do some tangent hiking before we trek off to the next camp site, we usually pack up all our gear and lay it out of sight and cover it with a "Cammo Netting" and toss bunch of leaves and sticks on it and it disappears.

tadpole

Many people leave their dog in the back of the vehicle with the windows cracked. Tents are more porous than a car. If I ever took a dog camping, I would tie the dog to a tree. However, the safest thing to do is take the dog with you rather than leave the dog alone all day while you are out hiking.

ChadTower

Here if you were at a campground and left your dog in the car for the day odds are someone would call the cops. Dogs die that way here. All the time.

aldove

I would never leave my pet unattended while I'm hiking. I would take him with me, things that are stolen are always replaceable but my pet isn't. He's not a guard dog to guard our tent, he's a part of the family!

Pathfinder1

Here if you were at a campground and left your dog in the car for the day odds are someone would call the cops. Dogs die that way here. All the time.

Hi...

How unfortunately true that is. Not only regarding pets, but some uber stupid people have left children in vehicles under similar circumstances...!!

And, unfortunately, flogging for these miscreants is no longer socially accepted (or so I'm told).

TDale

Don't have a dog to worry about these days. When I did, they were constant companions.

As far as campsite security, a couple of empty shotgun or .45 shells laying in front of the tent are quite discouraging.

Grandpa

Don't have a dog to worry about these days. When I did, they were constant companions.

As far as campsite security, a couple of empty shotgun or .45 shells laying in front of the tent are quite discouraging.

Kind of like leaving a pair of muddy size 16 boots on the front porch holding down a guns and ammo magazine with a note on the door saying,"Bubba and Junior, I ran down to the kwik mart for some beer, be right back.
Don't open the door, the pit bulls being bad today, near killed the postman."

dashboardc33

Where we can it is very isolated. We camp in the middle of the forest where there is no other campers or people within 20 miles. So, this is not a concern for me. I am more worried about the coyotes getting to my dog. I hate tying her up when we go out for a swim, because I fear the coyotes. She is always with me.

TDale

Kind of like leaving a pair of muddy size 16 boots on the front porch holding down a guns and ammo magazine with a note on the door saying,"Bubba and Junior, I ran down to the kwik mart for some more beer, be right back.
Don't open the door, the pit bulls being bad today, near killed the postman."

Fixed it for you. :D

MissyKitty

There have been a few times when i have been worried. I was out in the woods with my best friend and we saw three shady characters going on a path that went past our tent. I was scared that they might take our things and i was too afraid to do anything. Luckily they passed and all went well.

Mr.E

Have had more than one theft. Twice my car's been broken in to. I try to not to take a good vehicle camping - I've been known to remove a wire from the engine and I never leave any valuables in the vehicle.
I prefer to have somebody drop me off and pick me up if it's an option.

Yab9

I don't think it's a good idea to leave your pet locked inside the tent. First of all, it gets really hot in there, it's not healthy for the dog and second, what's a dog going to do a few hours in a row in such a small place?

CozInCowtown

Yeah, Mr. Romeo would pitch a fit if he got left behind.
I have had only one problem with strangers bothering our camp that I can think of at the moment and a 12 gague load of 00 buck rectified that misunderstanding in very short order.
DC

Camoguy

In our area we have had a rash of dog thefts if the dog even looked a bit like a purebred dog. A boxer was stolen from a backyard during the day when the owners were at work. It had to be stolen because the gates were locked and none of the fence was disturbed enough to indicate the dog got out on his own. We have also lost a bunch of small dogs that are in backyards with the owners not at home. I would NEVER leave a dog on it's own in a camp on a chain let alone one loose in a tent. If you don't want the dog any more it would be fine but if you wanted to find your dog safe when you came back, it would be advisable to either leave someone in camp with it or leave it in a boarding facility.

I have to say along with the above, that I consider my dog a part of my family. You don't mess with my family-EVER!!!!!

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Wouldn't a dog left in a tent shred his way out if he really wanted to? It seems to me they would tear the floor up in short order anyway.