What is happening to all the Occupy Movement tents?

Quinn

This is not a post about the politics of the Occupy Movement, so please lets not go there. I am just curious what is happening to all of he tents that are being seized by police and state troopers? It seems like a real waste to throw them away. Does anyone know the fate of seized Occupy Movement tents?

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
Normally all property is returned to the owner (eventually) unless there is some type of law to allow enforcement to keep is (typically drug related stuff). I cannot imagine police would be allow to seize property based on a charge of trespass or some type of civil disobedience charge.

Lamebeaver

I'm guessing they probably consider them abandoned and throw them in the trash.

You wouldn't want one anyway after some unwashed bum's been living in it for a few weeks.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
A lot of stuff might happen. They might be returned to the owners if they come claim the stuff. They can't seize property forever based on trespassing or disorderly conduct. Unclaimed property can be discarded if worthless, donated, or converted to department use. They may hold on to the good tents and store them for the next disaster. Our local sheriffs office has 200 tents (all free army stuff) and sleeping bags for use during hurricane evacuations. Beach refugees unable to fit in shelters can get tents.
Or the items may be sold on an auction site like govdeals.com, propertyroom.com or other government property auction site.

Lorax

It's not like they were Black Diamonds, Marmots or Hillenbergs.

Just a bunch of Chinese made crap, used to take up space and look like an actual "sea of humanity".

wvbreamfisherman

It's not the smell as much as the lice, fleas, rat droppings, rotted food, spilled urine and feces, drug residues and ummm other bodily fluids. I most certainly would NOT want to try to decontaminate one of those tents.

limbs

I don't think I would want one either. I have read that some of the living situations in the Occupy camps are very dirty and unsanitary. It is a shame that they go to waste, but that's life for you. I wonder if tent manufactures have seen a spike in tent sales.

DMan

The Occupy movement in the city closest to us went on for quite awhile. The city just let them stay as long as they kept the area clean. They kind of policed themselves. When they decided to disband, they took their tents down and cleaned up the area. I think each person took back their own tent.

eyebp

Senator
I passed by the movement in DC on a recent trip. It was pretty nasty. Let me see if I can figure out how to post pics.