Tent color

aldove

My tent has a green-brown hue to blend in with the nature. It's more like a camouflage thing and the predators could have difficulty spotting it. But the only disadvantage is that it can be noticed by campers who are lost or rescuers that smells emergency.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
I am and have always been the camp that wants to stay invisible out there. My tent canopy is a low key green. I chose that color on purpose over red. The funny thing on our last trip a week ago, we were in canyon country and it was some rough three dimensional stuff, the kind we like. Canyons went in all directions with smaller canyons coming in constantly. It was a hall of mirrors. We named some of the layers and up near the top we came to an enchanted place we came to call the “pink layer”.

Now normally one might think a low key green tent would blend but if you know your color wheel, red is the opposite of green. We kind of stood out in the pink layer. I’ll tell you here and now though, I’m not getting a pink tent. Not ever.

The thing about this tent is the inner body is bright yellow. It is a color that makes most people happy. You can see well inside the tent and it does lift your spirits. I had a girlfriend back in ’73 who favored translucent yellow undergarments so it has a very special effect on my own mood. Like her, my tent’s under layer is hidden unless one takes off the outer layer of fabric. If I wanted to attract attention I could simply take off the canopy.

Refrigerator

This tent looks European. Maybe Hilleberg or other? I own Hilleberg and a couple other brands and they all have the hoop style body like your pic. and the tent color is that or red.

I am and have always been the camp that wants to stay invisible out there. My tent canopy is a low key green. I chose that color on purpose over red. The funny thing on our last trip a week ago, we were in canyon country and it was some rough three dimensional stuff, the kind we like. Canyons went in all directions with smaller canyons coming in constantly. It was a hall of mirrors. We named some of the layers and up near the top we came to an enchanted place we came to call the “pink layer”.

Now normally one might think a low key green tent would blend but if you know your color wheel, red is the opposite of green. We kind of stood out in the pink layer. I’ll tell you here and now though, I’m not getting a pink tent. Not ever.

The thing about this tent is the inner body is bright yellow. It is a color that makes most people happy. You can see well inside the tent and it does lift your spirits. I had a girlfriend back in ’73 who favored translucent yellow undergarments so it has a very special effect on my own mood. Like her, my tent’s under layer is hidden unless one takes off the outer layer of fabric. If I wanted to attract attention I could simply take off the canopy.

littlefire

Oh, no, I suppose it wouldn't matter what color your tent is if the animals can already sniff you out. I wasn't taking that into consideration. Wild animals scare me; this is why I only camp on camp grounds and hope for the best.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
This tent looks European. Maybe Hilleberg or other? I own Hilleberg and a couple other brands and they all have the hoop style body like your pic. and the tent color is that or red.
Correct, it is a Hillegerg Kaitum 3. We got it for the large space to light weight ratio and structural strength in high winds. Also for the quick setup and tear down. Yes they come in red or green. Lots of the mountain adventurers like visible as in red. I'm glad they offered a subtle green though. It has served well for four years now after our previous tent was destroyed in a violent micro burst that lasted for less than 60 seconds. Then everything went back to calm again. Other times we had the wind peel our tent out of the ground. The fortress type build and many staking points on the Hilleberg takes care of that problem. So far it has anyway.

dashboardc33

I liked colors that popped out so you could see camp if you were hiking from far away. We always used the smoke method with our campfire, but days where we would leave for a few hours, the smoke would die down and we sometimes have a hard time finding our way back to camp. I recently purchased a neon green colored tent. At first I really liked it because I could spot if from really far away. However, I have noticed that it really attracts bugs. I don't know if it is the fact that I can see them better buzzing on a bright colored tent, or if it's the color that is attracting them.

wvbreamfisherman

My Coleman Sundome is a sort of goldish color, whih is pretty pleasant. My partner's backpack tent is orange, and my huge-ass two room tent is purple.

Given a choice, I like a warm color but not too bright. Blue or green makes the tent feel cold in cooler weather (to me, anyhow). Other than that it really doesn't matter much.

jerry_too

I just camp backwoods and never ever campgrounds so I like woodland camo and OD and browns and khaki will do too. Although my old tent is sort of an egg yolk yellow but at least it's sort of an earth tone.

As far as a bright color for emergency situations, I have a bright yellow rain suit that I could break out of it's bag and wave it for the rescuers. And a bright blue swimming pool type air mattress I could probably use.

If I did public campgrounds I don't think color would really matter to me, maybe the brighter and flashier the better.

Joe S.

Color is really the last consideration for me. When I bought my tent, I bought it with back packing in mind, so weight and a compact size where more important.

beckya

I know that tent color does not matter much when you are in a campground. However, does tent color matter when you are camping in "wild" places?
Depends on whether you want to stand out or blend in. Either way, I suggest you try acecanopy.com. Someone recommended it to me and it has several choices for you.

Mr.E

Never been a fan of "colorful" tents. Just offensive to me... A big part of my experience is getting away from flashing lights, bright colors, and other sorts of visual pollution. I suppose I might need a rescue one day, but then again, I'd likely NOT be at my tent when I needed it. More likely out hiking and climbing somewhere. When I'm "in camp" I'm generally very calm and not likely to get myself seriously injured.
But I could be wrong!!!
I generally like a dark green, blue/grey, or tan tent. Just more aesthetically pleasing - no other reason.
But the prime reason I buy a tent has to do more with keeping dry than anything else.

chuckdee

I'm curious of this as well. On the one hand, you'd want your tent to be easy to find, for you, or a rescue party if need be. On the other hand, you don't want your tent easy enough for wild animals to find, or be attracted to the tent.
I think wild animals will pick up your scent before the color of your tent.....I think.