first dogs now cats

carmen

It has been nonstop in our area lately. First we dealt with random dogs roaming the neighborhood late at night to scare the neighbors, now we are dealing with the cats. It's like the people in our town do not care for their pets at all.

limbs

We have major problems here. There are so many abandoned animals here that they have had to make some tough choices. There are so many dogs that the local pounds has given up catching cats. They still take cats that are being surrendered, but the ones that roam free are left alone.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
People in your area need some education about spaying and neutering pets. It is the only real solution to unwanted pets. Their is an old adage that says that you can tell a lot about a civilization by the way they treat animals.

Quinn

We are not allowed to kill the cats here. Instead there is a group of us who work together to trap them. We take them to a local shelter who fixes them for 30 a piece. Then we let them go. You might try to get a group together and do something like that.

carmen

I am actually thinking about getting a CWL and shooting the next one on my property. My spouse was chased while walking the dog the other day (the small dog) by a pack of three. We are not entertained at our neighbors right now, esp. after finding out they have had numerous reports before and dodge animal control.

Last edited:

Greatoutdoors

We are about to have to register all of the animals in the county with our new animal control laws. The cost is $5 a piece if they are spayed or neutered and $10 if they are not.

ponderosa

I spent an hour bike riding around the neighborhood yesterday, and was followed by seven different dogs during that time. Some were just overly friendly, and a couple were threatening. I'll never understand why so many pet owners seem to assume that everyone else is going to enjoy their dog as much as they do. And I really have no patience for people that don't spay/neuter, and then allow their dogs and cats to have the run of the neighborhood, populating the countryside with strays. Very aggravating.

Greatoutdoors

Yesterday outside our house I noticed three or four different stray cats, and last night we heard two males fighting. That should mean a new litter of unwanted kittens around here anytime now. :(

Pathfinder1

I spent an hour bike riding around the neighborhood yesterday, and was followed by seven different dogs during that time. Some were just overly friendly, and a couple were threatening. I'll never understand why so many pet owners seem to assume that everyone else is going to enjoy their dog as much as they do. And I really have no patience for people that don't spay/neuter, and then allow their dogs and cats to have the run of the neighborhood, populating the countryside with strays. Very aggravating.

Hi...

Well, there's always the "giant deadfall-with-lots-of-bait" routine...!!

Marshmallow

I'm counting my blessings. My neighbor's cat is always in our yard, but she doesn't bother anything. I think she's after some of the creatures in the front yard. Our neighbors have dogs, but they keep them where they are supposed to be -- in their yard. I can't imagine being attacked by any of them.

kreso93

Call animal control, or just wait it out. We had a similar situation in our neighborhood and we just waited until they stopped coming.

aldove

Why not adopt one or bring any stray animals to the animal shelter? That way it would help lessen the population of stray animals in the neighborhood. It's even cruel to kill stray animals.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Get a live trap, when full take it to the shelter.
I would take the animals to a shelter far from you. A big city a few hours away...

The owners may check the local shelter, find the animals and set them loose around your house again. You're back to the same problem. But they aren't likely to check every shelter in a two hour drive...

dkramarczyk

I don't think my area is all that bad. But it will be soon. Summer is always when those strays become more noticeable. One of my cats, I'll let them out at night, if it's nice out, because she enjoys the night life. But she always comes back. I don't know whats up with all the other strays. I know that there's a cat in my area that was a pregnant stray, but I never knew if she had her babies and all that. Perhaps her babies are roaming around here as well.

oldsarge

I used to to have a Jeep with a rag top on it. I noticed that the top was all loose and sagging down, couldn't figure out why. Then one day I leave the house and see a large cat jumping off the roof of the jeep. It had been sleeping there all night. Man was I pissed! So every morning I would sneak down hoping to find it there. We lived near the beach and all you could hear was waves breaking. I slowly walked down to the Jeep, quietly opened the door and punched the cat from underneath. It jumped up and pin balled it's way off the Jeep. I continued to check quietly every morning, sure as hell it came back. BB gun time! I put one into it.

A few weeks later we were at a party and I over heard some lady telling another person how she had to take her cat in to the vet and how the vet pulled a BB out of it. I told her what I had done and why. She was really mad. I told her I was sorry for shooting the cat and if had known it was hers I would have cut out the middle man and planted a BB in her rear end instead. Keep you animals off my car, let them walk on your personal property and scratch it all up. I was surprised how many people backed me up on this.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have some barn cats who keep the vermin down. The strays around here don't last long. The coyotes take care of that.

Joe S.

In tough economic times, people will often get rid of their pets to save a few bucks. Then we have to spend tax money on animal control officers. A real savings, huh?