Help me pick a gun for my wife

Quinn

I am about to buy my wife a hand gun. I have her convinced to learn to shoot. However, after watching a video in another thread I have some reservations. If the gun flew back and hit her in the head she would never shot again. My wife is small and thin. What would be a good starter handgun for her?

Grandpa

First. that desert eagle .50 is a cannon minus the wheels.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t Don't let that video bother you.
What is the intended use for your wifes pistol? If just target practice, start with a .22. Ammo is much cheaper and she can learn proper shooting technique much easier. If you think she is really ready to defend herself, a .380, 9MM, 40 S&W or .357 sig in the auto's. If you or her prefer revolvers, I would recommend a .357 mag or 45 long colt. She could do her practice with the .38 special cartridges and just load with magnums for defense. The 45 colt was originally a black powder round and manufacturers kept the loads light so old guns wouldn't blow up but the coming of the Taurus Judge brought a whole new group of devotees to the cartridge and ammo is now being made to pack some real punch. You can still get the lighter loads for practice and use the heavies for defense.

As to the actual firearm, stick with quality brands all the way. There are many fine little differences that you may develop preferences for. Go to a reputable gun shop and let her try various guns for both size and comfort.

oldsarge

I totally agree with Grandpa.

I used to be a big Glock fan, I still like them but now I'm sold on the Springfield Armory XD series pistols. I have smaller hands and the Glock was a great fitting pistol, but the XD fit's even better. Plus it was less expensive.

Years ago we would practice with magnums in our 357. the switch to 38 special with Hydro Shock rounds. It was like shooting a .22, but still packed a major punch.

CozInCowtown

First pistol for a beginner?
K.I.S.S. <---Keep It Simple Sir!
I would recommend a double action revolver in 38 Special/357 Magnum.
Start her out on some nice 38 wadcutters, learn the basics on a simple machine, then advance from there.
The pistol, even after she advances to bigger and better things, will still be a superb home defence pistol.
I recommend a Colt Trooper or a J or K Frame S&W.
JMO,
DC

Lamebeaver

Here's a novel idea.....have her pick her own gun.

You can "gently suggest" she start with something like a .380.

Greatoutdoors

Being a woman I have to agree with LameBeaver here. I know what my husband would have picked "for me" because he is a huge Glock guy. I am also small framed with small hands, and the Glocks are just much too big for me. Let her go with you and try out a few in her hand to see what fits best and go from there. My personal fave is the Ruger SR9, but some women would say it is too bulky for EDC. The Springfield XDM series fits well in smaller hands too.

Lamebeaver

One more thing....

Convincing a woman to carry a pistol is one thing. She convincing herself that she can pull the trigger and kill another person, if necessary is another. If she is unwilling to do this, then she should NOT be carrying.

oldsarge

One more thing....

Convincing a woman to carry a pistol is one thing. She convincing herself that she can pull the trigger and kill another person, if necessary is another. If she is unwilling to do this, then she should NOT be carrying.
Great point!

Newanderthal

Small caliber, inexpensive pistol. Ruger has a nice .22 that's very accurate and the bullets are dirt cheap. She can blast her little heart away and lose her fear of the recoil.

Later, when she's comfortable, upgrade to a 9mm or .40 cal. Ruger, Smith, Glock, Baby Eagle.

And if she holds the gun tight, it won't fly out of her hands. I got a chick who weighed about 110 to shoot my Desert Eagle. It kicked, but she kept it in her hands. Then she said "this gun makes me feel like a man"

Grandpa

I totally agree with Grandpa.

I used to be a big Glock fan, I still like them but now I'm sold on the Springfield Armory XD series pistols. I have smaller hands and the Glock was a great fitting pistol, but the XD fit's even better. Plus it was less expensive.

Years ago we would practice with magnums in our 357. the switch to 38 special with Hydro Shock rounds. It was like shooting a .22, but still packed a major punch.
Glocks are great but years ago, I cut my hand badly and now the Springfield XD is my "go to" as well. Love that .357 Sig cartridge. I like the double safety until you put it in your hand and then it's ready to shoot. Hard for a curious little hand (child) to release both safeties at one time.

oldsarge

Glocks are great but years ago, I cut my hand badly and now the Springfield XD is my "go to" as well. Love that .357 Sig cartridge. I like the double safety until you put it in your hand and then it's ready to shoot. Hard for a curious little hand (child) to release both safeties at one time.
I feel the XD's took Glock technology to the next level. I like Glocks, use to own one, but the new generation 4 doesn't feel as well to me. I also like the loaded chamber and cocked indicator on the XD.