What is the worst thing about camping?

dinosaur

troublemaker
I think Denni2 was talking more about policing the tentsite area than cleaning up after some butthole who left the place a mess. Before you pitch that tent you have to make sure there aren't any knobby twigs or small rocks where your floor is going to be. Sleeping on such items is the only awakening you'll need to be certain not to let it happen again.

hummingbirdee

The worst thing about camping is the preparation and the clean up. I get everything ready and that takes a while. That includes shopping, getting coolers ready, packing clothing and putting the camping items together. We go camping and have a great time realizing that we have to come home. When we return, we have to unpack, do laundry and put everything away.

firedancer

One thing I really hate is the combination of sunburn, heat and humidity when camping. I much prefer cool mountain nights to the sticky Midwest summers that we get. I remember laying in my tent on a Wisconsin River sandbar last summer just hot and sticky with no breeze. Still...even that beats a day at the office!

Cory

Oregon!
Dont get me wrong, i absolutely love camping, thats why i'm here right now... but sometimes i might get a little bored... Which is another reason why i love camping so much, i like having nothing to do. The only time i have a problem with being bored is when i'm with other people and i feel the need to entertain them since i'm usually the one to drag my friends out there with me haha. I usually hike, fish, bike, and as the night comes a fire can entertain someone for a couple hours but i think i would be more entertained if i learned how to cook meals from what i collect around the wilderness.

Hikenhunter

While going home gets my vote for the thing i dislike the most about camping, while I am in camp it has to be people who do not keep there dogs and/or their children under control opr the ignorant's who do not consider the impact that some of their behaviors have on the other people in the campground. This is just one more reason to go backpacking instead of campground camping.

dkramarczyk

Well, lets see...sleeping on the ground kind of sucks, the bugs are annoying and mosquitoes tend to love me, showers, etc. There are a lot of things that I dislike about camping, but I still enjoy doing it for a couple nights. I don't like to take one super long trip, I prefer short weekend type trips.

Remp

Hmm.. I think it's my dependence on my gadgets... I hate carrying any gadget with myself when I'm going camping, but I always carry my iPhone... I just can't leave it home, maybe I'm to afraid to do it. And of course I have a Solar Charger for it... I don't know what you guys think, but when I'm going camping, I wanna do it oldschool! Without any gadgets or stuff, just the nature and me! :)

dkramarczyk

I think another thing that I don't enjoy about camping is the lack of technology. I mean, when you go camping, it's not very logical to bring your computer with you, even with a lap top. I don't have much opportunity to leave my computer because I am enrolled in an online college. I would have to take a vacation from school so that I could go camping.

huullk

I am quite surprised to seem some of your responses. I think it is funny that the worst thing is gear addiction and not being able to camp enough. hehe.

I'm not bothered much by bugs, but I don't like when the mosquitos are around my kids. We usually do a heavy duty grass spray down before we start unpacking any of our gear though.

Cappy

I live and camp in the deep south. Those things have sung me to sleep more nights than not, while camping, at home or at work. Instead of a cacophony we consider it a soothing sound of nature. When I first hear them crank up in the evening my mind is flooded with hundreds of pleasent memories. Funny how different things can mean different things to different folks.

LoveTheWater

I'd have to say bugs first then having to make sure the ground is clear and clean to set up the tent. Also the unpacking when you get home. So, set up and clean up but everything else is great. :)

love2hike

The worst thing about camping for me is having to come home from the trip and transition back to "normal life", ha ha! I'm not a big fan of the bugs but bug spray solves that problem, although I can't say I'm a fan of the bug spray smell, either.

Eaglescout 49

Sunday morning is the worst thing about camping.

No hot breakfast (don't want hot stove in the Suburban)
Tear down camp
Pack up gear
Load gear into Suburban
Drive home
Unload gear
Unpack gear
Clean gear
Store gear

Monday morning is yet worse -- I'm back in the office, although I'm already thinking about the next camping trip

ejdixon

The unpredictable weather. It really sucks when you're there, enjoying the outdoors and then you experience a really nasty downpour.