Dog fight

littlefire

I adore dogs. I hate (most) dog owners. (Most) dog owners are self-righteous and treat their dogs like their kids. They think their dog doesn't need a leash, or they think their dog is "nice" so the rest of us don't have to worry about it. If your little yapper comes yapping at me with its teeth bared, I don't care how "nice" it is, expect me to defend myself.

dkramarczyk

I think your friend was doing everything right. There are a lot of overprotective dogs out there. I mean, think about it if you were a dog and some little yippy thing runs up to your master, what are going to think? Your probably going to think that some kind of mutated animal is going to attack your master. No offense to little dogs, but some of them do look like some sort of weird mutation.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Lets say I am walking along taking in the scenery and some ones unleashed dog comes running towards me barking and growling like he is going to tear me to shreds so I kick the sucker in the ribs and zap him with my cattle prod. Am I 10% to blame for the encounter?
Actually, I think you would be showing a remarkable amount of restraint.

oldsarge

Actually; both were in the wrong. The small dog owner no control/no lead. your friend because s/he knew the dog could be agressive if the dog felt the pack was in danger (that dog also was not under control.)

I walk my lab mix off lead most of the time but when I see another dog approaching I put Bear in in a sit/stay therefore having control of the situation. I also carry a walking stick and well the dog has more to fear from me than Bear in most cases!
Disagree! If you know your dog could possibly get aggressive and you have it on a leash. You doing the right thing. Are you suggesting that these people stay home with their dogs. All dogs will get aggressive at some point. They are animals plain and simple. Unless it's a highly trained guard dog, we're all subject to the same situation. I short leash my dogs when people or other dogs approach. But when they break that personal barrier and get that close, they are at fault...100%. Keep your dogs away from others. If I allow my dogs to get close enough to bite someone, I'm responsible for letting this happen. If two people mutually agree to let their dogs play and a fight breaks out. It's your own fault if your dog gets hurt. You are gambling at this point.

Last edited:

Hikenhunter

Disagree! If you know your dog could possibly get aggressive and you have it on a leash. You doing the right thing. Are you suggesting that these people stay home with their dogs. All dogs will get aggressive at some point. They are animals plain and simple. Unless it's a highly trained guard dog, we're all subject to the same situation. I short leash my dogs when people or other dogs approach. But when they break that personal barrier and get that close, they are at fault...100%. Keep you dogs away from others. If I allow my dogs to get close enough to bite someone, I'm responsible for letting this happen. If two people mutually agree to let their dogs play and a fight breaks out. It's your own fault if your dog gets hurt. You are gambling at this point.
Absolutely

mccallum

I see what you are saying but from my point of view I don't see how this can be avoided. Also, lets say I am walking along taking in the scenery and some ones unleashed dog comes running towards me barking and growling like he is going to tear me to shreds so I kick the sucker in the ribs and zap him with my cattle prod. Am I 10% to blame for the encounter?
No; but if your leashed dog who you know is agressive attackes that dog you are partly to blame. Here is what I base this on from the OP
The dog is protective over her. A little dog ran up and started to sniff her dog. The little dog then jumped at my friend and her dog grabbed the little dog in her mouth.
underscore added; the owner knew here dog to be "protective" (ie agressive toward other dogs and possible others) of her and was not in control of the dog. She sould use a gentle leader or other such system when in situations where this sort of thing could happen.

Sorry sarge I disagree that we should not be in control of our dog at all times; first bite/agressions is the sign that we need to be more vigilant of our dog and to keep other dogs/people from approaching. I am always backing dogs off and have owners say "My dog does not bite." I always want to say "Yeah that's what the owner of the dog that bite me said!" or "There is always a first time!" I assume Bear will be "protective" at some point and therefore I am in control of him when others approach; be it dog or human.

Last edited:

oldsarge

Sorry sarge I disagree that we should not be in control of our dog at all times;
Your dead wrong again. We should be in control of our pets. If a dog comes up to you and jumps on you, and your dog turns and latches onto it, it's doing what it thinks is necessary to protect. It's a dog, that's what they do. Maybe you need to have a gerbil as a pet....oh wait they can bite too! It's not just big dogs who are this aggressive. I've seen really small dogs go after people and larger dogs also.

This doesn't apply to animals only. People are the same way. How would you feel if you were alone and someone just walked right up to you and started putting their hands on you, not in an aggressive way, but an overly friendly way and just creeped you out. Would you not push them away or try to get away. At what point would you push harder if this person did not stop. could this turn into a wrestling match, possibly a fight. When does it turn into a simple assault case. Now the police are involved, what do they ask? How did it start. Once they figure out who initiated this event, that's who they arrest. They guy who violated your personal space. Same with a dog, except the dogs personal space includes you too. He's doing his Job, be thankful.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Sorry sarge I disagree that we should not be in control of our dog at all times.
Am I reading this wrong or are you two actually agreeing with eachother while argunig?

Sarge is saying that a person should always be in control of his or her animals while mccallum is protesting those who are not in control of their pets.

I'm going to back Sarge on this one.

Last edited:

Hikenhunter

The bottom line is that all dogs, even the most timid ones, have a point where they will act out to another dog that is invading their space. If your dog is well trained and leashed then you have nothing to fear as far as his behavior goes. The dog who is left to roam and the master who thinks everybody should tolerate his dog, are the problems. They invade your and your dogs space. They create bad situations.I never met a dog I didn't like, but I have met alot of ignorant dog owners who I do not care for. While my dog is not perfect he is well trained. He will approach other dogs and people if he gets the chance,and he will do so in a very nonagressive manner.He rarely gets the chance because I usually have him on a lead or I am right there to correct him before he ever makes a move. If he invades another dogs space and there is a dog fight or if he goes to another person and that angers the person for any reason it is 100% my fault and I will do whatever I have to in order to correct the situation. If it is the other way around it is the other guys fault, 100%, And I will do whatever I must to correct the situation. Most of my encounters have been minor but We must all realize that any encounter by two dogs protecting what is theirs can turn into a disastor in a hell of a hurry. Truth is in all dog encounters it is the owner of the dog who initiates an attack who is at fault because he has no control over his animal. As far as putting a dog on a gentile leader goes, "I think that a gentile leader is a good training aid when you are teaching a dog to heal and to ignore other dogs and distractions as you walk him, But if another dog ,running at large, threatens my dog. I will do what I can to stop the problem including turning Copper loose to defend himself if need be. I will not control him with a gentile leader or in any other way if he is in harms way.JMHO

april222

siding with your friends dog

First let me admit that I'm a little biased. In general I'm not real fond of little dogs or there owners for that matter, In my experience they tend to lack training.

That dog should have been on a leash period. looking beyond the issue of the leash, I have a Appalachian Blue Bulldog who has been trained. I can actually take him off of his leash and tell him to sit in any situation and he will sit calmly at my side. That being said, I wouldn't take him off his leach in an area such as a camp ground where there would be the possibility of dog confrontations. His breed is known for protectiveness and his look alone could potentially create apprehension.

Any dog owner should have the common courtesy of protecting not only there dog also the other dogs and people around them. If by chance they have failed to heed to standard dog etiquette they should at very least have the decency to avoid telling a responsible dog owner that they should put there dog down.

rubbersoul

I agree with most everyone that the other owner is at fault 100% for not having their own dog on a leash. I also think her "put it down" comment is absurd. she clearly doesn't have a good grasp of responsible dog ownership.

On the other hand, I would not ignore this dog's aggressive behavior. To just brush this behavior off as a protective thing and no big deal is a mistake. Your dog has just shown aggressive behavior to another dog who was not showing aggressive behavior (excited dominant maybe, but not aggressive). You should bring dogs over to the house and socialize it to get it used to many other dogs. You should set up play dates at neutral locations, and practice meeting dogs on walks. I'm not placing blame on the owner who had the dog on a leash, but to let this behavior go uncorrected is the wrong thing to do for the dog's safety imo. it is your responsibility to keep a balanced dog, and a dog who attacks other dogs who aren't showing aggression aren't balanced and need some guidance.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

In a past life I've encountered many critters (probably hundreds), from dogs to llamas to goats, et al.

Only on the rarest of occassions did I perceive any problems, either real or imagined.

In one instance I was on the property of a guard dog trainer. The owner was not home, so I did not intrude on any portion of their fenced-in property. I got my work done, and left without mishap. The dogs made it quite plain that they didn't want me around, though.

In another instance, I knocked on a door...only to be met by a Great Dane that actually broke the glass on the door trying to get to me. Fortunately, the owners who were inside calmed the dog down, and no harm was done (except to the door).

The worst damage I've ever witnessed that was done to a person by animals was when a guy tried to separate two fighting cats...!! It looked like his hands were shredded...all in the matter of just a few seconds...!!

I'm sure lessons are learned through each such instance or encounter.

riza201saly

hehehe i dont have any problem of my dog because he dont bark.. i don't know he was friendly to all of our neighbor

ppine

Forester
There are very few bad dogs, or bad breeds. But there are lots of tense, nervous, fearful dog owners that transfer these emotions directly to their pets all the time. Most dogs run their households and you see the results in incidents like this one. I would not take my Corgis to a dog park if you paid me. They are prone to fighting with obnoxious, agressive dogs of any size.

I carry a cattle prod for hikes in the hills and carry a revolver in case a dog comes after me. My Dad worked in the mountains of Puerto Rico in the late 40s where I was born. He encountered feral and wild dogs all the time. He carried an aluminum clipboard as his first defense, and a lead horse whip to knock them in the head if they became aggressive. On my paper route as a kid I carried Dad's old "dog knocker" in my back pocket. Verily I walk through the valley without fear, and that is the greatest defense of all.